2017-2018 Shawinigan Snow Reports

iceman

18 Dec

-12c been a cold week. Good for the lakes and rivers for sure. Dusting of neige today so far.

I’m worn out. 2 overnights this weekend on the semi-trailer with the deneigement team, followed by an emergency call in yesterday morning making it a 18 hour shift. 

Gonna be a long winter, but I’m loving it.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, Triggerhappy said:

Ice,

With this cold how is the big river looking?  Is it freezing up?  We are thinking of coming up 12/29-1/1 and was wondering how the river was. 

Honestly, I have not seen it or heard about it yet, been down in Trois Riveres and have not been that way in a week or so. I would imagine their is definitely Ice on it just not sure if it will be really safe by then. It’s possible. There has been no grooming near here yet. I will get back to you. 

22 Dec

-11c  very cold overnight to set that freshly groomed trail here was -24c light snow on and off calling for 10cm or so here tonight and tmrrw, maybe more on monday. Every little bit counts. 

33 minutes ago, Ontariokid95 said:

What are the trail conditions in and around your area iceman? Would like to do some day trips out of somewhere late next week

In this area most trails have received just one pass of the sufacer so far. Early season conditions. Other area’s are much further along. Like St Michel/St Zenon for example. Depends on whay you call good riding. Me I aint riding near here yet, in my opinion we surely need more snow to fill the holes and put things in shape. I aint into riding just to say I went riding. It needs to be nice trail.

25 Dec

-10c snow and blowing snow. About 3-4” new hard to tell with the wind. Shaping up one small storm at a time. Well I’m on call so, unfortunately I cannot make the 1 hr 30 minute drive with the Mrs. to the wife’s family today, she will go with my sil & bil, me I’m heartbroken to stay here at home. Not.

also reports or riders on the Rivere St Mauricie, not staked yet but they are on it near Grand Mere. Earliest in a long time to be frozen. 

Correction on my last post with the Rivere St Maurice.....thinking as usual better to wait for it to be officially opened and staked. Surely the guy who lost his sled yesterday must feel the same. Lucky to be alive.

C18578AC-AAC4-458D-BCBF-686C50AF6037.thumb.jpeg.9b9dcbf581db99406b5e9c3a73fccc52.jpeg

Ok let’s talk about the Rivere St Maurice, 

the snowmobile that broke through was on the section of rivere south of the Dam in Grand Mere. So it is that section to go to/from Comfort Inn and Auberge Gouverneur  and such. 

The Rivere north of the dam is staked and marked but just near the two bridges in Grand Mere for now. So to access TQ 23 and that’s it. Not safe or staked yet going further north on the 360. To St Jean des Piles and St Roch de Mekinac and to Mattawin. 

Also club Motoneige Mauricie has 3 of 4 surfacers, broken but scheduled to be ready tonight or tomorrow. 

That’s the latest i got. 

27 minutes ago, iceman said:

Ok let’s talk about the Rivere St Maurice, 

the snowmobile that broke through was on the section of rivere south of the Dam in Grand Mere. So it is that section to go to/from Comfort Inn and Auberge Gouverneur  and such. 

The Rivere north of the dam is staked and marked but just near the two bridges in Grand Mere for now. So to access TQ 23 and that’s it. Not safe or staked yet going further north on the 360. To St Jean des Piles and St Roch de Mekinac and to Mattawin. 

Also club Motoneige Mauricie has 3 of 4 surfacers, broken but scheduled to be ready tonight or tomorrow. 

That’s the latest i got. 

Thank you Don.  Your updates help me with my planning, especially with the early snow conditions.

On 2017-12-25 at 2:52 PM, iceman said:

Correction on my last post with the Rivere St Maurice.....thinking as usual better to wait for it to be officially opened and staked. Surely the guy who lost his sled yesterday must feel the same. Lucky to be alive.

C18578AC-AAC4-458D-BCBF-686C50AF6037.thumb.jpeg.9b9dcbf581db99406b5e9c3a73fccc52.jpeg

He didn’t give’re enough.

Tape it!!

4 January 

-11c big wind light snow, been snowing lightly on and off for few days now, total a few inches.

have not been riding yet. From what I’ve seen in my travels from work eying trailheads its decent but thin after the grooming. Still need another big one to really set it up. Don’t get me wrong they have done all they can with what they have snow-wise to work with. 

I should get to put my sled on next week and check it out. My sleds are not even in my garage yet. Soon come. 

11 hours ago, iceman said:

My sleds are not even in my garage yet. Soon come. 

Whatta shocker

Snowremoval is gonna get in the way this year Ice. Take my word for it, many of my sledder friends been there done that, one of them had to take a bus home one day to do the job, all to say they’ll do the job again when they sell their sled.

Good luck juggling the two.

2 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Whatta shocker

Snowremoval is gonna get in the way this year Ice. Take my word for it, many of my sledder friends been there done that, one of them had to take a bus home one day to do the job, all to say they’ll do the job again when they sell their sled.

Good luck juggling the two.

I cannot complain, I have had seasons since I moved here that most can only dream about. So be it, i knew going in this year I would have much less seat time and I am fine with it. Snow Removal is not an issue as much as my other job. My old boss retired leaving me to run things on that side, and finding good people is not easy. So I do what is necessary. For Snow Removal they have a backup driver for me. 

I will ride 2 weeks for sure with a couple long weekends. Possibly a late trip for a 3rd  week. The other fact is I’m going to Indianapolis, in prime season on Feb 22-25 for a big trade show to check out some new hardware. Iceman needs new toys. Like an $750k combo unit Vac Truck with a high pressure water jet rodder. 

Its all good friends. Don’t worry about me I will be just fine. 

And like I said above yes trail is open here but still needs more snow for a trail snob like me. It’s not quite up to my standards just yet. Not gonna ride just to say I went riding. 

Until next time.

20 hours ago, iceman said:

I cannot complain, I have had seasons since I moved here that most can only dream about. So be it, i knew going in this year I would have much less seat time and I am fine with it. Snow Removal is not an issue as much as my other job. My old boss retired leaving me to run things on that side, and finding good people is not easy. So I do what is necessary. For Snow Removal they have a backup driver for me. 

I will ride 2 weeks for sure with a couple long weekends. Possibly a late trip for a 3rd  week. The other fact is I’m going to Indianapolis, in prime season on Feb 22-25 for a big trade show to check out some new hardware. Iceman needs new toys. Like an $750k combo unit Vac Truck with a high pressure water jet rodder. 

Its all good friends. Don’t worry about me I will be just fine. 

And like I said above yes trail is open here but still needs more snow for a trail snob like me. It’s not quite up to my standards just yet. Not gonna ride just to say I went riding. 

Until next time.

20 hours ago, iceman said:

Aha....so you do know how the  trails will be in 2 weeks. You've been holding out on us!     Good luck with the new ride.

Ice, I love the excitement of Quebec riding, last year I did not get to ride, first time since the 60's, work got in the way, I have 2 business' a tire store and a foreign car service center, not being able to find good help was the problem, still is a problem, not to hurt your feelings, but it is good to hear , I thought that crap was only an American thing, and this was not tolerated here 30 years ago. I have a new back country 850 waiting for me to pick up at the dealer, first new sled in a long time, IF I HAVE TO CLOSE THE BUSINESS FOR A WEEK TO RIDE, I'M CLOSING!! At 60, I cannot let years go by anymore, I will just send people home for a week with no pay. I hope you find a way to ride that new XTX.

3 hours ago, quebec bob said:

hope you find a way to ride that new XTX.

You can bet on it. 

3 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

That rig sounds like one would double their chances for a date!

Certainly. “Me love you long time”