2017-2018 Shawinigan Snow Reports

iceman

8 Jan

-15c snow on and off all yesterday, picked up overnight probably almost 3” new snow since yesterday morning. Every bit helps. 

Looks like we will be trucking tonight. 

12 jan

4c steady rain overnight. Lots of ice in the driveway thinking this will still be a good thing for trails as the flash freeze is coming this afternoon and tonight with 10cm snow tonight and 15cm tmmrw. Bring it. 

Today I bring my sleds home. Its time

Jan 13

-13c snow and blowing snow hard to say how much but it was drifted so much I had a hard time opening the back door. The town has been by twice here since last night so its alot of snow. Gonna bounce right back. 

Snow is deep. Drifts are big. Riding is fun!  Different riding than the usual groomed trails but just a different fun.  Deep powder playing was a blast. Trails are single sled wide, but if the groomers get out they will be incredible. Cold weather but nothing to bad to be an issue.  Beautiful sunset tonight.  

IMG_3416.PNG

Triggerhappy....  how far west did you venture on 23?   The wife and I are dropping in at Saint-Jean-De-Matha.....just north of Joliette this upcoming weekend.  Unfortunately the Drakkar was full this go around...  I am fairly certain that trails fared well around there after this recent warmup?

Thanks,

VTrider

VTrider,

The trails held up great. A lot of snow. Off trail you could very easily get stuck. we went about half way to St Zenon.  Trails were groomed and nice.  Grooming report showed groomed all the way to le cabanon. There was a washout maybe 10 miles west of the trappeaur (spelling) that you have got to be very careful of.  It is not noticeable until almost on it and very dangerous.  I'm sure they will fix it. We put as much marking as we could to help riders see it. Other than that the 23 was great.  We also went east of shawinigan on 3 and was still choppy in fields from drifts but not bad.  Coming home from the bison farm/bar/restaurant (which just changed owners a month ago) shortly after we hit fresh groomed trails on 3 west.  First tracks.  Beautiful.  Made for a nice end ride home.  The last part of 3 and the local trails back to Drakkar needed grooming but nothing terrible.  Enjoyable day out.  This was 23. 

IMG_3418.JPG

Edited by Triggerhappy

9 hours ago, VTrider said:

I am fairly certain that trails fared well around there after this recent warmup?

They got a lot of snow Friday night and Saturday.  Saturday we were breaking trail all afternoon. Big snow and some big drifting. Fun play day. 

IMG_3406.JPG

26 minutes ago, Triggerhappy said:

VTrider,

The trails held up great. A lot of snow. Off trail you could very easily get stuck. we went about half way to St Zenon.  Trails were groomed and nice.  Grooming report showed groomed all the way to le cabanon. There was a washout maybe 10 miles west of the trappeaur (spelling) that you have got to be very careful of.  It is not noticeable until almost on it and very dangerous.  I'm sure they will fix it. We put as much marking as we could to help riders see it. Other than that the 23 was great.  We also went east of shawinigan on 3 and was still choppy in fields from drifts but not bad.  Coming home from the bison farm/bar/restaurant (which just changed owners a month ago) shortly after we hit fresh groomed trails on 3 west.  First tracks.  Beautiful.  Made for a nice end ride home.  The last part of 3 and the local trails back to Drakkar needed grooming but nothing terrible.  Enjoyable day out.  This was 23. 

Awesome !!!  Thanks for the info. 

Left Shawinigan Saturday, took M5 to 360 to 345 ending at Repos for the night. Lots of new snow until about 20 miles of Repos but still ok. Sunday went north on 345 to 83 thin the whole way up. 83 east to Roberval for the night. Around Wemotaci snow got decent again on 83 but here on the south west side of LSJ it is thin. 

5 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Don

any word on the 355 up to LSJ?

Between Trappeur and Lac Edward was some flooding problems, friday, now ice. Club says it will be fixed by tmmrw. The end from Lac edward up thinner by the lake but it’s open

Back home this morning but yesterday we got up and the trails right from Drakkar parking lot were groomed.  We decided to just follow the groomers work for the day.  We never left a freshly groomed trail. Some parts we were first tracks. Saw maybe 6 sleds all day.  Beautiful day out. Plenty of snow and trails were perfect going west from shawinigan. FYI part of trail 3 from the rang de la rivière Batista nord-est towards shawinigan was groomed in front of us Sunday night (even passed the groomer) but doesn't show up on the grooming map as was the northern trail coming from 351 where it hits the same river a mile north. The gps beacons must not be working but they were groomed and were great.  In fact those two sections are the only pieces that are showing white on this mornings grooming map. ?? 

Plenty of snow in shawinigan. 

IMG_3428.PNG

IMG_3427.PNG

IMG_3430.PNG

IMG_3425.JPG