10K miles: Service Suggestions

mikerider

I haven't been able to get an affordable deal on a new sled, so I am thinking pretty hard on running the 2016 Renegade 900 ACE another season. It has 10,000 miles on it and will probably get another 6,000 miles this coming winter. I will be having the dealer do all the work. I plan to have  the oil, filter, chain oil done and clutches gone over and install new clutch springs. The sled still goes like new.

I guess all that is left is bearings. Some say the bearing behind the driven clutch should be changed, some also add that the brake bearing should be changed. (I will have them take out the skid and check the bearings/wheels).  So I guess my question is which drive bearings should actually be changed? SkiDoo bearings do seem to last far longer than the other brands. Or should I have all four driveshaft and jackshaft bearings replaced.

Anything else you think I should have done? Spark plugs replaced?  New Chain?

I am thinking all this will be under $2,000, which will be half or more what it would cost me for a  one year newer leftover 900 Renegade. I know many of you work on your own sleds so you probably have a good idea what wears and what seems to last.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mike

I changed the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings at 11,000 miles on my 1200. I would check the track mine started to come apart at  10,000 miles but was studded.

My buddys 1ce ripper lasted till 13,000 miles and ripped apart. My 1200 has 16,000 miles on it and will run it again this season.

Might think about replacing the suspension wheels. It may help on track life. Motor mounts should be checked. Bearings should be replaced. Can't see inside them to check them. Clutch alinement is important. Track tension.  Then get on and go.  Never worry about it breaking because if you do it will. 

-Oil Change

-Clutch Cleaning Primary

-New Springs in both (maybe even a little higher rate)

-New Rollers on the Secondary.

-Both Jackshaft Bearings.

-Both DriveShaft Bearings.

-Brake Pads.

-New Belt https://www.c-tpowersports.com/2013website/product/gates_drive_belt.html

-Rebuild shocks Front and Rear if it's possible.

-The 900 is most likely easier on the track and it may not need it yet.

-Smaller wheel bearings? If you dont replace the bearings on a regular basis.

GutZ

Hi Mike

My 2013 with 25,000 miles had the following done to it.

Every year I cleaned and  repacked the Jack shaft bearing and the bearings in the wheels.  Never had to replace a bearing.

I had to replace the track at 18,000 miles and that is when I repacked tha bearing and the brake side.  The only reason bearings fail is because of water.

I replaced the buttons and the spring in the primary clutch and the spring only in the secondary.

Changed oil in the chaincase yearly but didn't replace the chain.

Bill

Edited by Saguenay Bill

Just a question. We have never had bearing issues on our suspension wheels but we did have a problem with the rubber coming apart on the wheels. We think the temperature and stud placement had something to do with it. 

Mike, drink 4 less glasses of wine each night this winter......that will pay for a new sled next year😉 LOL,......  On second thought,....... do what everyone is advising above, and run that to 20k, ......keep the 🍷🍷 flowing. 

Hope to to see you on the snow this winter

best regards

RR

Hi Mike

If you do all you want to do and the track, have the big bearing done then you can run the sled another 2 years with no issues. When i sold my 14 the track had 14000 miles and still looked brand new, I think the ice ripper studs are easier on the track and for sure easier on the track wheels. And following your posts for many seasons you dont seem like a guy who is hard on the sled. If its any help, I just changed a 1200 original studded track with 18000 miles. It was time. Lower bearing behind brake was rough, I have changed a few of these and this is the first one that showed its age, they do last a long time. I did a blown bearing on a polaris with 4000 miles this fall, they still use the old 6205 small bearings. Good luck. Steve

Thank you, each of you for all the replies and good info. Well, except for RoadRunner's suggestion to drink four less glasses of wine each night. It was so easy to work on sleds up until the early 2000's. Between a bad back and the comlexity of the new sleds, I don't do anything but the very minor stuff.

Another alternative that might be cheaper is to invite  all of you to RDL this winter to ride with me and I will pay the bar tab each night. Only catch, EVERYONE bring a tow rope!!!

Thanks again. You guys are the best!

mike

Mike most of the suggestions you have received are very good EXCEPT one...drink less vin rouge??? How dare Road Runner even suggest that...lol

But here's one that will really save you money & maybe even your life...https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-away-from-tobacco/cigarette-calculator.html

You would probably save enough money to be able to buy two sleds per season.

8 hours ago, mikerider said:

Another alternative that might be cheaper is to invite  all of you to RDL this winter to ride with me and I will pay the bar tab each night. Only catch, EVERYONE bring a tow rope!!!

Careful what you wish for. I might just take you up on it. No Vin for me I like Jacque Daniels. No worries I’ll tow you, not a problem. 

8 hours ago, mikerider said:

Thank you, each of you for all the replies and good info. Well, except for RoadRunner's suggestion to drink four less glasses of wine each night. It was so easy to work on sleds up until the early 2000's. Between a bad back and the comlexity of the new sleds, I don't do anything but the very minor stuff.

Thanks again. You guys are the best!

mike

Boy Mike, that new sled sounds like a bargin compared to some of those bar tabs.

11 hours ago, mikerider said:

Thanks Jackstraw. Didn't want that kind of news about the track!

How did your Jackshaft and driveshaft bearings look at 11,000 miles?

mike

I did it when the new track went on.  The bearings i was told where still in good shape. I did also change the chain and sprockets at 14,000 miles

Great information from all of you.  Thanks to all.  I am pondering how deep to delve into the wallet and go just a bearing or two and take my chances or go for the track and all the bearings.

I may need to sell the sled and take up curling!

Cheers,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Mike

10 hours ago, 182ray said:

Mike most of the suggestions you have received are very good EXCEPT one...drink less vin rouge??? How dare Road Runner even suggest that...lol

But here's one that will really save you money & maybe even your life...https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-away-from-tobacco/cigarette-calculator.html

You would probably save enough money to be able to buy two sleds per season.

I wish No-Hair would cut out these things!

GutZ

Mike you could sell your sled on Canadian soil, the used market is far greater here and pays more than the American market. I sold a pair of sleds a few years back with 10k + on them and according to the owners they were very happy with what they sold for.

Just another option but I don’t mind towing for a glass or two. There’s a few here that can collaborate on that.

42 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Mike you could sell your sled on Canadian soil, the used market is far greater here and pays more than the American market. I sold a pair of sleds a few years back with 10k + on them and according to the owners they were very happy with what they sold for.

Just another option but I don’t mind towing for a glass or two. There’s a few here that can collaborate on that.

Hmmm JG. ... Maybe so. 😁

1127172233.jpg