Ceizur bridge closed this winter

Mid Range

I saw this in the local paper. I don't know what will be the outcome of this but Ceizur bridge will be closed this winter. I remember they closed that bridge a few years ago and they built an ice bridge north of Gatineau Club as an alternative. For those not familiar with the area, it is located near Gatineau Club on the woodrunner trail, between, let say......Rabaska Lodge and Pensive relay.

The Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks (MFFP) has decided to invest $ 1,791,000 in the reconstruction of the Ceizur bridge located in the Antoine-Labelle RCM of the Laurentides region. This investment represents 90% of the total project budget, which will increase the bearing capacity of the new bridge to 60 tonnes.

The Ceizur bridge is an important access road to the forestry or recreational tourism activities of zecs, outfitters and off-road vehicle trails on public land.

Announced in the 2016-2017 Budget Speech, the Multi-Resource Path Reimbursement Program (PRCM) aims to develop forest resource access roads and maintain and improve the existing network so that it is safe for various users. Part 2 of the PRCM, through which the Ceizur bridge project is financed, targets the strategic development of the road network as well as certain cases of force majeure. As in the case of the Ceizur bridge project, the PRCM finances up to a maximum of 90% of eligible costs, the other costs to be borne by local actors. In all, $ 4.82 million has been set aside for all projects.

"Access to our forest land is providing employment for about 60,000 workers through our forest industry," said Luc Blanchette, Minister of Forests, Wildlife and Parks. This access to this important natural resource also allows other industries to create wealth in our regions: for hunting, fishing and trapping activities, this represents nearly 14,000 jobs and 1.8 G benefits. $ across Quebec. That's not to mention the three million Quebeckers who practice outdoor activities in the forest. The new Ceizur Bridge project is great news for the economic growth of the Laurentians region and its communities and for all users of the forest in the region. "

"The Ceizur bridge is a key transportation structure for the Laurentides region," said Christine St-Pierre, Minister of International Relations and La Francophonie and Minister responsible for the Laurentides region. I am proud that our government is committed to this work, which will ultimately benefit businesses, workers and even vacationers who will benefit more from the attractions of the surrounding public forest. "

Built in 1955 north-west of Ferme-Neuve, the Ceizur Bridge spans the Gatineau River in Petawaga Zec. Its reconstruction began on November 27 and will be completely closed during the winter. The contractor who will perform the work ensures that it will be reopened as of mid-March 2018.

ceizur bridge.jpg

Edited by Mid Range

They’ve had an ice bridge in the past, it crosses further up the river, the down fall is its a goat path to and from the crossing with whoops like you can’t imagine. Heh at least it’s they and we can cross. Next year will be better with s new bridge, gonna have to go check it out on the vtt.

7EF60E4D-6674-4D7A-A592-17904F9B92F7.thumb.jpeg.0c44e1dc5991c2d25d0350c446137866.jpeg

Mid range I really appreciate you posting this news.  As I have said before, your back yard is my favorite playground.  Every year the lepine road excursions take a new twist.  It's almost as if no one wants it to be.  I enjoy it, almost as much as I enjoy Clova.  I know this is not a popular opinion, however if you really think about it, it's hard to argue with:  If you don't want to stay with Dominic at the school house, and you really miss the Tabernack that much, stay off the lepone road altogether, without his work and expenditure there would be no trail up the Lepine.  In the words of another fellow QR favorite...Merci, bon soir!

I was looking at the woodrunner map the other night and wondering with Notiswisi being closed what would happen with this section. It wasn't clear  but I would actually take the old ice bridge and that section of trail over the bridge and that section. Seems like I could never time it when it was nice that trail and seemed a lot longer to get to Clova.

5 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

They’ve had an ice bridge in the past, it crosses further up the river, the down fall is its a goat path to and from the crossing with whoops like you can’t imagine. Heh at least it’s they and we can cross. Next year will be better with s new bridge, gonna have to go check it out on the vtt.

7EF60E4D-6674-4D7A-A592-17904F9B92F7.thumb.jpeg.0c44e1dc5991c2d25d0350c446137866.jpeg

5 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

its a goat path to and from the crossing with whoops like you can’t imagine. 

I agree with you. A goat path on the western side of the Gatineau river (groomer couldn't get to the crossing point) but very nice from Gatineau club to the crossing point on the eastern side. That trail was leading you to Notawissi back then.

4 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

Mid range I really appreciate you posting this news.  As I have said before, your back yard is my favorite playground.  Every year the lepine road excursions take a new twist.  It's almost as if no one wants it to be.  I enjoy it, almost as much as I enjoy Clova.  I know this is not a popular opinion, however if you really think about it, it's hard to argue with:  If you don't want to stay with Dominic at the school house, and you really miss the Tabernack that much, stay off the lepone road altogether, without his work and expenditure there would be no trail up the Lepine.  In the words of another fellow QR favorite...Merci, bon soir!

I agree, although I assume you mean the Tamarack as Tabernack has a whole different meaning LOL

4 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

Yes you are right....Dominique has been maintaining that trail  without receiving $$$ from the fcmq. Without him there would be no trail on Lépine road. Grooming between Clova and the Pensive is a long run beleive me.

10 hours ago, hparaptor said:

Still think Lepine Road is cursed.  Nothing but headaches....

Couldn't they close the bridge to heavy vehicles while permitting sleds and atvs through?

They are building a new or doing extensive repairs to the existing bridge.

11 hours ago, Mid Range said:

Yes you are right....Dominique has been maintaining that trail  without receiving $$$ from the fcmq. Without him there would be no trail on Lépine road. Grooming between Clova and the Pensive is a long run beleive me.

This summer I clocked it at 160 klms on my atv, first time I ever went that distance on the same tank of gas.