Tow Machine for Snow Machines

Teet F8SP

Like most here, I'm getting excited for the winter to come and have some high hopes for a good season with epic snow!  

Have my eyes on a new sled for this year but a truck came first, picked out a new Ford F250.  There are some things I want to do such as better tires, tint, air ride for back, list is growing fast but really excited about the new F250 diesel coming from a bunch of F150s for many years.  Should make for a comfy trip to/from quebec with massaging heated seats if nothing else... ; )

Post up pics of trucks and trailers HERE as we all get them ready for the snow tow season.  

IMG_6963.JPG.d23c8fc98a089b3a1414aa2b92cadf47.JPGIMG_6962.JPG.ded1177e5b56d68af424640bccee3980.JPG

Nice...Best of luck with her.

I too am in my first diesel - '16 - 2500 - Duramax - for a 2nd season. Nothing in comparison to a gas job - all muscle - no hesitation. 

Travel safe. 

Top to bottom  - #1 - Last week - Dec 2017  I was having the trailers wheel bearings serviced & 2 & 3 photos are from Winter 2017 :  ) 

Dec 2017 Trailer Wheel Bearings Repacked.jpeg

Winter 2017 .jpg

Winter 2017 Saguenay .jpg

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

April 7, 2016 last truck in the corral at RDL. I use a 2003 Honda Pilot bought new currently has 143,000 miles and runs like a top. I pull a 2008 Triton 12' clamshell trailer. Now before you fall on the floor laughing I have had other members here chase me from the USA to RDL and were unable to catch me, that was a big Ford diesel. 😉 Actually have been truck shopping but having a hard time writing the check for somewhere North of $50,000 on a depreciating asset. 

That new Ford is quite beautiful thought. 

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

Nice looking trucks Teet F8S + nyskidooerinnewhampshire!

No doubt that the GMC/Chevy2500s w/DuraMax and Ford F250s w/PowerStroke diesels are very nice tow vehicles but I would add some caveats:

• Unless you are towing something bigger than a 2-place trailer (or a big boat/horse trailer/camper in the off-season) and driving more than ~25k miles/yr its very hard to justify the extra $$.
  • Diesels are built for big miles and unless you use it for that, you definitely won't see a benefit.
  • Diesels require different maintenance and care than gas engines and are best cared for by a mechanic with specialized diesel training. Modern diesels are fairly trouble free but when they aren't running right, most mechanics have no clue.
  • Lastly, an unfortunate fact is that these trucks seem to be a particularly high ranking target for auto thieves in Quebec.

I was a Ford man (Powerstroke and V10) and decided to try a new Duramax 3500 HD.  So far I like it.  I need it for the boat more than the sleds.

smalltruck2.jpg

small2.jpg

Edited by Triggerhappy

3 hours ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

No doubt that the GMC/Chevy2500s w/DuraMax and Ford F250s w/PowerStroke diesels are very nice tow vehicles but I would add some caveats:

• Unless you are towing something bigger than a 2-place trailer (or a big boat/horse trailer/camper in the off-season) and driving more than ~25k miles/yr its very hard to justify the extra $$.
  • Diesels are built for big miles and unless you use it for that, you definitely won't see a benefit.
  • Diesels require different maintenance and care than gas engines and are best cared for by a mechanic with specialized diesel training. Modern diesels are fairly trouble free but when they aren't running right, most mechanics have no clue.
  • Lastly, an unfortunate fact is that these trucks seem to be a particularly high ranking target for auto thieves in Quebec.

Now that we've got that lesson out of the way..:lazy:

1 hour ago, Phil 1 said:

I think he is trying to say go buy a Pilot. ❄️🌬❄️🌬

Hi Phil - There will be sticker shock when you look at a 2017 Pilot too since it will be ridiculously more than what you paid for the '03. All new SUVs + trucks are commanding crazy money IMO.

Bottom line is buy something you like and won't hesitate putting some money into after 3-4 years if you tend to keep a vehicle awhile. As you said, its a declining asset so you need to get something that makes you happy while all that money flies away.

What I don't understand is when the price sheet on the window says 22 mpg and you hook on to a trailer and you get 8 with the gas 2500 and 1500 Chevy trucks. I owned ford 350 6 liter and towed  mini excavators and got 13 mpg towing and not towing anything. Wasn't bad. Upgraded to the 6.4 and got 11. Where is the 22 .

Bought 6 months ago new 17' f-350 gas. Traded the old 350 with 285,000 miles diesel. Couldn't be happier with the switch. $9000 cheaper for the gas, a little less power but won't have to take out a second mortgage to get to 285,00 miles. Could put in a new crate motor for half of what it cost to keep the diesel running. Plus diesel here is 40 cents a gallon more right now        10 mpg  all day every day but I do have 35" tires on it. Same mpg with the diesel according to my buddys. Cant justify it, my 2 cents

18 hours ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

Nice...Best of luck with her.

Thanks my wife always wonders why I call my truck "her" all the time, I say because she likes a good rub down too!! LOL

7 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

April 7, 2016 last truck in the corral at RDL. I use a 2003 Honda Pilot bought new currently has 143,000 miles and runs like a top. I pull a 2008 Triton 12' clamshell trailer. Now before you fall on the floor laughing I have had other members here chase me from the USA to RDL and were unable to catch me, that was a big Ford diesel. 😉 Actually have been truck shopping but having a hard time writing the check for somewhere North of $50,000 on a depreciating asset. 

Thanks Phil! I'm certainly not going to try to follow you to RDL either! Slow and steady for me, until the sled is unloaded at least.

6 hours ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

Much appreciated, I spend a lot of time in the truck for work. About 55K+ miles a year and the diesel will hold the value better as I click off the miles.  

5 hours ago, Triggerhappy said:

I was a Ford man (Powerstroke and V10) and decided to try a new Duramax 3500 HD.  So far I like it.  I need it for the boat more than the sleds.

Very Nice Truck! 

33 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

What I don't understand is when the price sheet on the window says 22 mpg and you hook on to a trailer and you get 8 with the gas 2500 and 1500 Chevy trucks. I owned ford 350 6 liter and towed  mini excavators and got 13 mpg towing and not towing anything. Wasn't bad. Upgraded to the 6.4 and got 11. Where is the 22 .

I think those window numbers are downhill wind at back numbers they give you on the sticker.  I averaged 19 mpg going from VA to CT this monday which was first long trip with it, cruise at 75mph most of the way.  About the same or a little better than the old F150 ecoboost.  

It is hard for me to spend the money on a diesel. I have a 2001 Chevy 2500 with a 6.-0 gas. 328,000 with at least 9000 pounds in tow for most of its life, sometimes 13,000 when i pull the race car trailer. I put a trans in at 275,000 and later found out it was only the torque converter that was bad. Dad has a 2003 with close to 300,00 and never a big part changed. We have been through two ford diesels and both let us down.Now I have a 2015 6.0 gas and can't be happier!

Now some people have good luck with diesels. But I sure don't. Either way good luck with your new one. I can't say it doesn't look good! 

19 hours ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

Agreed.....

I have an 800 mile r/t from home - NYC suburb - to camp in Pittsburg NH and the suburban was not cutting it as far as pulling the 4 place Blizzard enclosed Trailer....Loving the power :  )  - No regrets "yet". I only use the truck for same as we have other cars for everyday errands....

20 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

McLuvin me some Duramax (but no towing since the receiver got swapped for the rear winch)...

https://youtu.be/jUeCuI8owyA?list=PLKndPzj10DlPg-RsZv0BXe0EC__nAEeGo

WOW....Impressive but never in a million years would I "intentionally" put something I owned through that....

22 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

I'm ready for you this year! Added another turbo just in case. 🤣🤣

IMG_20170803_164557715.jpg

Phil

If Honda made a Full Sized SUV that could Tow  a 4 place, I'd be down with that. We have had Chevy's and I couldn't take the downtime\Warranty time. The Dodge has been good so far.( knock on wood).

I use a Honda Fit to commute to work, I burn 36-40k a year in it, I'm on the the 3rd one I think, 150k+ miles and turn it in for the next one. The only reason it ever went to the dealer was when I was viciously attacked by Deer and Rodents!

GutZ

I was never a big Mopar guy and had many Chev's but in 2011 I bough a Durango and it surpassed my expectations until I kit 190K km and then had issues. Traded to a 2015 Grand Cherokee with the eco diesel. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I have 123Km and all I've done is change the oil and a set of tires. Everything else is stock. I drive about 50K a year and in summer its 8.6 l per 100 and about 9.6 in the winter. It pulls by 23' larson like nothing and fuel then is only 13.6 l per 100, triton style enclosed, same a breeze. I will but another but I am interested in the new Ford 150 diesel that will be coming. Apparently it will have about 3000 lbs more towing than the Ram