2100km Loop Guidance

DavidN

Hello!

My brother and I are planning to take our first trek on the Quebec trails the last week of December and have mapped out a lengthy loop (about 2100km), but would appreciate any feedback (ie. things to see, suggested reroute, suggested hotel change, gas issues/long stretches without, etc).

We are planning to drive up from just outside Toronto to stay at the Four Points Sheraton in Quebec City (where feeder 304 meets TQ3) on Boxing Day.

Day 1 (Dec 27) - 333km up #3 & #73, staying at Le Relais 22 Milles

Day 2 (Dec 28) - 483km #83 west, staying at Auberge Du Lac Faillon , just outside of Senetterre

Day 3 (Dec 29) - 474km #93 North, staying at Marina Chibougamau

Day 4 (Dec 30) - 294km #93 South-east to Roberval, staying at Hotel Chateau Roberval

Day 5 (Dec 31) - 329km #23 -> 383 -> #83 -> #3 staying in Clermont  at Hotel-Pavillons Le Petit Manoir

Day 6 (Jan 1) 172km back to Four Points Sheraton to load up and head home.

5a297ee27ffe3_QuebecLoop2017.thumb.JPG.826d10f7e8a408599feb48d0cd3ce09c.JPG

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions

Thank you!

David

Edited by DavidN
added image

You may want to adjust for a possible "Down Day".

Just to pad your return.

I like the 4Points in QC.

Relay 22.... not known for their accommodations, but the pool is nice,  it can work in a pinch.

Hotel Chateau Roberval was nice enough.

Le Petit Manoir, I think I've seen it on the way to the Fairmont and it looked good too.

Later

GutZ

8 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

You may want to adjust for a possible "Down Day".

Just to pad your return.

I like the 4Points in QC.

Relay 22.... not known for their accommodations, but the pool is nice,  it can work in a pinch.

Hotel Chateau Roberval was nice enough.

Le Petit Manoir, I think I've seen it on the way to the Fairmont and it looked good too.

Later

GutZ

Thanks for the reply... I know we have some good KM's in there but suspect we'll be OK.. if we need to cut it short we'll adapt :)

I'm generally more concerned about fuel across the distances as the interactive map doesn't show all the spots however have found some on the physical map.

Also -- had wanted to stay at fairmont in clermont but unfortunately they are all booked up for NYE.

It looks a bit early for that loop regardless of snow. 

mid January is when the majority of quebec is in mid winter form and you could just look at the map and go.

its shocking how long it takes the swamps, lakes, and rivers to freeze even with crazy cold

Sage advice --- trying to play the odds of a freeze-up between now and then as weather looks nicely cold, although agreed on point that rivers/etc take a surprising amount of time to freeze up proper.  Fingers aggressively crossed :)

13 minutes ago, Saguenay Bill said:

Sure is early in the season for that trip.  Going from Relais 22 west to Senetteree you could run into problems of it not being groomed that early.

That would certainly spoil the trek. Plan is right now to book accommodations and adjust if necessary just before Christmas depending on the trail conditions posted. Would it be unusual, besides last season, for that stretch to be open at that time?

Any recommendation for where we should consider as a backup plan during that time? 

5 minutes ago, DavidN said:

That would certainly spoil the trek. Plan is right now to book accommodations and adjust if necessary just before Christmas depending on the trail conditions posted. Would it be unusual, besides last season, for that stretch to be open at that time?

Any recommendation for where we should consider as a backup plan during that time? 

There have been times when wind or heavy wet snow have happen and 83 is not open.  Not many people between 22 and Senetterre to open up that trail after wind or heavy snow.

Agree with the too early for that ride comments..  In general, February is probably the best bet month.  We are leaving with our annual boys trip on the 19th of January.  I'm a little nervous at this point of full inter-connected trails. We typically plan for early.February, but it is not in the cards due to work obligations this year. Our fallback dates are now early March.  I wish you the best of luck, and hope it works for you/your group as it is a nice looking loop.

I always go Jan, Feb, and March, December you will lack connectivity for sure. In early January the upper part of 93 always has brush sticking up through the snow except the Chapais area which is typically pristine. You will also be whacking sticks near Wemotaci heading west from Relais22 unless you can run the forest roads.  February is always the most reliable month, run the same trails and you will think how can this be what I rode 3 weeks ago ? It’s perfect now!

March can be excellent as well but you start rolling the dice much past the 2nd week. But hey it’s always an adventure, that’s what makes this sport so great ⛄️       I don’t usually book until 3 days before heading up because things can change quickly.