Original rivets to be replaced with removable ones

Cos

Hi,

Not sure of you have the same frustration like I do when I see some panels (bottom ones especially) which are fixed with permanent rivets that must be drilled in to be able to remove the bottom panel. I have a sidewinder and a Tundra and both have the same way to fix the bottom panels.

Of course to work properly on the machine (oil change, chain case, muffler etc…) I would like to remove the bottom panels so there is more room for inspection as well.. For that I must drill the existing rivets and buy new ones to replace every time. Next year, will have to repeat the same procedure…

My question is this: are there any rivets of some sort that can replace the original ones which can be easily unscrewed or taken off without drilling? Then to be put back just the same so next time removing and putting back panels will not require drilling nor spending money on new rivets.

Please send link where to buy and pictures if you have found a solution to this, thanks.

1 hour ago, JBlavl said:

Yes I was thinking of those.... Thanks for the link. Do you think would be strong enough for underneath?

On 12/11/2017 at 4:19 PM, Cos said:

Yes I was thinking of those.... Thanks for the link. Do you think would be strong enough for underneath?

I don't think I would use them on the bottom plastics. They are subject to too much punishment to rely on plastic rivets IMO.

My only concern would be the engineer that designed the sled put rivets in that area for a reason. If other fasterns would work they would have installed them there. Besides if removing and replacing rivets each year may be a great reason to get yourself a air rivrting tool. A present for you from you. Lol 

8 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

My only concern would be the engineer that designed the sled put rivets in that area for a reason. If other fasterns would work they would have installed them there. Besides if removing and replacing rivets each year may be a great reason to get yourself a air rivrting tool. A present for you from you. Lol 

Well the only reason I think is that they want people to bring their machines to dealers instead of doing maintenance by themselves,.. They could've put bolts easy to unscrew as well... but not the case...

The one and only  reason  they use pop rivet's is cost .  A few cent's  per rivet as opposed to  several  dollar's.  As for keeping  the bolts in use heavy grade  lock tight , or the old fashioned  way , tying  wire ,  or even better  both methods...

Those plastic fasteners Are used on my two Polaris windshields. They get loose and rattle with time and when I rolled one of the sleds they all broke or popped out saving the windshield from breakage. Maybe they are meant to give like that so using them IMO any impact and those bottom panels may part company with the sled.

21 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Engineers are tasked with using the cheapest solution that is practical for the application. Pop rivets on a manufacturing line are installed in seconds and they do the job and cost almost nothing compared to a lot of the other fasteners mentioned here. Serviceability is low on the priority list for the manufacturers. 

I agree about using the quickest installation and cost. Also the engineers are not thinking ever about removing panels. They only build they don't fix the product.