Sept Isles

Trailblazer

Day 2 -255 mi Forestville to Port Cartier, resting with a Blue (or 3) at L'Artier hotel with the truckers. Lots of snow, some groomed, some fluff, but all wonderful white gold. Much of the first half of this leg reminded me of riding the north coast of Gaspe, narrow and curvy with sharp elevation changes and many, switchbacks. Further north are long straight runs helping us make up time as the sun began to set. 

If you're considering Cote Nord, there's no reason to wait. Conditions are great, weather is good (20 deg today) and minimal traffic. Just BYB to L'Artier, as they're a dry hotel... 

Havre St Pierre tomorrow...the adventure continues...

11 minutes ago, ODog said:

Day 2 -255 mi Forestville to Port Cartier, resting with a Blue (or 3) at L'Artier hotel with the truckers. Lots of snow, some groomed, some fluff, but all wonderful white gold. Much of the first half of this leg reminded me of riding the north coast of Gaspe, narrow and curvy with sharp elevation changes and many, switchbacks. Further north are long straight runs helping us make up time as the sun began to set. 

If you're considering Cote Nord, there's no reason to wait. Conditions are great, weather is good (20 deg today) and minimal traffic. Just BYB to L'Artier, as they're a dry hotel... 

Havre St Pierre tomorrow...the adventure continues...

We will meet on the trail tomorrow, we will be going Ouest. 

Livin large in Havre St Pierre! Ken and Owen's excellent adventure continues with a 202 mi run today finishing at Hotel du Harve in light snow. Some of the nicest terrain and views we've ever ridden in Quebec. Why don't more people ride Cote Nord???  Conditions and weather have been mostly ideal since we left Baie St Paul 3 days ago, warm and sunny with lots of snow. However, north of Sept Isles is nowhere I'd want to ride in weather or wind. Wide open mostly,  following stake to stake across a moonlike landscape working feverishly to keep the sled in the center of the trail. Failure left or right  means certain digging out of a ditch -or worse (and if your riding buddies are anything like mine, you won't be allowed to forget:). 

Of course this means we have to do it all again starting tomorrow. Havre St Pierre to Port Cartier to Forestville to Baie St Paul, and did I say its snowing?? The adventure continues.....

8Epic adventure in the books. 2325 mi in 10 days. 965 mi during first 4 days in Abitibi, (Fontbrune, Club Trout, Lac Fallion, 100 Lacs, Fontbrune) then trailered to Baie St Paul . Rode east with  nights in Forestville,  Port Cartier and Harve St Pierre -both up and back.  With  exception of the last few mi returning to BSP on Sunday afternoon, conditions were fantastic for 1360 mi. IMO this region competes with the North shore of Gaspe for variety of trails and scenery but with less traffic. As I said we lucked out with sun and fresh snow the entire trip....however...the last 100 miles heading into HSP -knowing what i do now- i wouldnt attempt in a snowstorm or heavy wind. Miles and miles of elevation with no vegetation,  navigating stake to stake through the drifting snow and sharp, off-canter turns. 

If you like Gaspe (and who doesn't???) you should put Cote Nord on the list... Now if I can only figure how to post pics