Glaciere/Koubec via #63+#23+#345 trails photo ride-report 16 december 2017

towing

It was our season opener yesterday Saturday December 16 2017, in fact it was Snowcruiser's and mine because Krikri was still on a trip outside the country and I had to manage myself to get some pictures! I do not have her talent and I do not stop often for pics so it's the gopro who did the job, a bit less good but not bad at all.

We went to have a lunch at Koubec through the Mastigouche wildlife reserve, which gave us a bit more than 120 miles round trip

carte_zpshty83xzp.jpg

So we started our ride from l'auberge La Glacière. I was first thinking to start on the #350 toward east but an unfrozen savannah delay the grooming there so the 5 miles on the #350 between la Glaciere and the #23 trail junction was not groomed yet (with the current cold it should be done soon). It was not block for snowmobile but without grooming looks more like an hare trail than a snowmobile one so we took the #63 to the village of St-Zénon

Untitled0_zps9ba3y06e.jpg

It was the first grooming pass so not perfect but very correct for an early season. Got some toc tocs under the skis in the big hills

Untitled1_zpsnwtzo8xc.jpg

North of the St-Zénon village conditions were already better, very good for an early season

Untitled1-1_zpsgwi7hd08.jpg

Untitled1-2_zpscerptksh.jpg

The spruce section still on #63 trail to Cabanon

Untitled3_zpsyyho4cwh.jpg

We stopped to fuel up  at l'auberge le Cabanon before continuing toward Mastigouche wildlife reserve

Untitled3-1_zpsrekrturx.jpg

The 4 dozers at rest in the morning were gone at work when we went back at the end of the day

Untitled3-2_zps8rxt6uws.jpg

The #23/#345 north was in full winter condition. The trail base was made since late November/early December and hardened with the thaws. With the new snow added it's like the icing on the cake, really nice and fast

Untitled4_zpsz2h4ywch.jpg

Untitled7_zpsb0ffzrdt.jpg

Here a very nice shot

Untitled8_zpsuf2qofle.jpg

Untitled8-1_zpsjijav6wr.jpg

8 miles from Le Cabanon we took #23 east in the Mastigouche wildlife reserve

Untitled9_zpslpea7b7u.jpg

Untitled11_zpsoj1gtd48.jpg

Beautiful trail in full winter conditions,  10/10

Untitled12_zpsavusfwfo.jpg

The whole #23 north section was a treat, very beautiful and fast

Untitled13_zps4ojdbrr5.jpg

To go to Koubec we had to take the #345 south, the trail number signs are there but not the directions signs, even we used to the area we had a doubt and took a look at the map to confirmed because there was no Koubec indication yet at this intersection.

Untitled14_zpsqhxawmnr.jpg

Also very nice and snowy

Untitled15_zpsmxoeln5u.jpg

Untitled16_zpsz825ni0d.jpg

We stopped to have a good lunch break at the Pourvoirie Mastigouche better known as Koubec place

Untitled17jpg_zpshptgtgie.jpg

This site is a real historical gem,  this outfitter building built in the 1800s is really unique, to see and see again

Untitled18_zpsrnzodsnu.jpg

I had originally planned a loop to return to the Cabanon via trails #350 and#23 but even if we had good comments on those trails , the one we had just done was so beautiful that it was unbeatable so we decided to do it again ... just too good!

Untitled19_zpspqqvxfnr.jpg

Here, back at #23 junction

Untitled20_zpsbkqif8mo.jpg

The #23 was just as beautiful on the way back

Untitled21_zpsbnsf6sji.jpg

Untitled22_zpsakdmkirh.jpg

We crossed some sledders  but not crowed at all

Untitled23_zpsdpyrdfza.jpg

Untitled24_zpsd7e9yncg.jpg

We took a break at the #345 junction to go either to theCabanon or the Mattawin Dam/Bridge. During our break 2 dozers started their run, this one that was going to groom the #23 we had just done.

Untitled24-1_zpsqp7k2fbg.jpg

And this one that went straight to go to the Taureau dam or Mattawin River Bridge
Untitled24-2_zpswh6vb6xr.jpg

So we continued on the a freshly groomed trail

Untitled25_zpsrz24ejfg.jpg

Very nice. Being just groom we did not seen it but other sledders told us that some curves began to be icy under traffic effect in this section earlier

Untitled26_zpszwhrajl2.jpg

Back to le Cabanon

Untitled26-1_zpsovbeyzmu.jpg

Even the #63 to St-Zenon village had just been groomed too

Untitled27_zpsxnqwoq51.jpg

We passed the Dozer just before the road section before the village

Untitled28_zps9bd3dkg7.jpg

As expected the last strech was not as good but fine and with a few dozerpasses  it will help a lot. We were back to La Glacière around 5pm with a 124 miles on the dreammeter.

Untitled29_zpsbnfbp4f2.jpg

So a first relax ride for us, a beautiful day with conditions that have far exceeded what we expected for a season beginning with more than 2/3 of the trip in full winter conditions almost perfect. Those who did Cabanon/Marineau toward Mauricie side report as good conditions there too .There is definitely very good sledding to do in this area!

The trail network actually change and progress quickly  so take a look on the trail conditions site often to know the last developpements:  https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Alain

FANTASTIC as usual Alain !!!!!!

Have been eagerly awaiting your report. So glad you guys had a great ride and good to see the conditions were better up there than I thought.

It still amazes me what they can do with even a low amount of snow. Look forward to riding the area Christmas week.

Thanks for the info and inspiring pics. I plan to come up with a friend and ride almost in your tracks this Wednesday-Friday Finally readied my sled, 2016 Blizzard with 6530 miles. I was able to dust it off in my fiedls last night with new LED lights. I'm psyched!

Jeff

1216171314a.jpg

On 17/12/2017 at 4:15 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

FANTASTIC as usual Alain !!!!!!

Have been eagerly awaiting your report. So glad you guys had a great ride and good to see the conditions were better up there than I thought.

It still amazes me what they can do with even a low amount of snow. Look forward to riding the area Christmas week.

Thanks Chris!

We got and other 4-5 inches of fluffy stuff today, no rain in the forecast so it's looking good for the christmas week. The trail network won't be fully open but it will have already expand on the north side...

On 17/12/2017 at 4:32 PM, 800steve said:

Very nice job Alain, maybe you put Krikri out of a job?

Thanks Steve

Haha, no chance for that!

On 17/12/2017 at 4:35 PM, smclelan said:

Conditions look and sound to be a great start for the winter.  Thanks for the report.

you are welcome smclelan! We always would like more white stuff but it's a decent start this year and the temperatures mainly keep on the cold side which is very good

On 17/12/2017 at 4:46 PM, iceman said:

Nice to see you back out on the trail Alain. Krikri is gonna be jealous. 

Bonne Season

Thanks Ice! Yes I think she was a bit... Have a good season too with your new ride!

On 17/12/2017 at 5:12 PM, mikerider said:

Always enjoy reading your reports!  Pictures came out fine.

mike

Thanks Mikerider!

My gopro set-up is not bad, I am wired on the 12volts of the sled through my electric shield so no more battery hassle! I had film many short sequences were it was interesting and snap pics from those sequences at home. I usually use the 1080 superwide for filming to reduce the camera shake effect but had only use wide this time to reduce the fish eye effect for the pics. That give decent results for the pics but you would have puke at trying to watch the movies sequences... way too shaky!

On 17/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, SnomoGary said:

Looking good Alan, you've got me chomping at the bit... have a great season, and keep the reports coming..

Have a great season too with many miles and smiles

On 17/12/2017 at 7:38 PM, markusvt said:

Nice!  Looks like we missed you by a few days, was all awesome on Friday for sure.

Ho, I was in your tracks! the snow was decent and the cold was handsome these last days. Hoping the cold wave will keep rolling here for a while, a couple years ago we had 15C in the same date! lucky we are this year.

On 17/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, MFARJM said:

Thanks for the info and inspiring pics. I plan to come up with a friend and ride almost in your tracks this Wednesday-Friday Finally readied my sled, 2016 Blizzard with 6530 miles. I was able to dust it off in my fiedls last night with new LED lights. I'm psyched!

Jeff

1216171314a.jpg

You are welcome MFARJM! if you can come in those days you will have the best conditions with low traffic. 

On 17/12/2017 at 10:46 PM, Trailblazer said:

Super Alain 

Nice to see you back in the saddle again, hope to see KriKri’s work in the near future.

Thanks JG!

Hope too to ride with her soon but seems like chrismas is next monday and we are not ready yet! Big chance we will ride again after the chrismass parties

On 18/12/2017 at 8:30 AM, RoadRunner said:

A great trail report, looks like conditions are shaping up nicely!

Thanks Road runner, yep and with the today white coating it's definitely nicely shaping up!

On 18/12/2017 at 5:08 PM, Teet F8SP said:

Great ride and even better that you always take the time to post your trip reports with awesome pics!

Looks like a decent start to a good base!

Thanks Teet! what is good this year is that the north had snow since the first week of november and never got back on bare earth since. It was not big amounts but the first 5-6 inches got soak/freeze a couple time that give very compact material with new loose stuff over, really better than just loose stuff.

On 18/12/2017 at 7:20 PM, PLAYHARD said:

Ahhhhh...  A Towing trail report...  And all is right in the world again!

5 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

That's a good one !!!!    and sooooo true PLAYHARD

Loll , I think it will be the tenth season I do that, hoping I have a lot more to come!!!