Where's The Perfect Place For a Retirement Cabin in Quebec

Fuse6

So where would the perfect spot  be to have a retirement place in Quebec for a sledder.

Nice cabin in the woods right close to the Snowmobile trail. Going to want to travel to the Gaspe at times, as well as LSJ.

Somewhere in the Chaudiere Appalaches south of Quebec City? Have never ridden that area so not familiar with it. Have never taken the shuttle across the river at Quebec City so not sure how practical that is for multiple occasions. Might want to ski on the 5th day so a decent ski hill within 45 min would be good. 

Or just go to Groomer's neighbour hood and spend the winter. Looks like a great wonderful place to spend the winter. Really enjoyed the Gaspe on my first trip there last winter. 

My father just had a triple bypass heart surgery at 79. I'm thinking prime sledding years might be between 55-65. Real bonus for all you guys riding well into your 70's. So at 53 l need to start working on a plan.

So what are your thoughts? Going to go buy a Loto Ticket now, get this plan going

Steve

Get a place big enough because you could have lots of friends. lol 

If I were 25 years younger I would buy a place on the north side of the Saguenay area.  I would not want a cabin the woods because I want electricity  but not from a generator.  But I still want to be in a wooded area.  Close enough, 25 miles, to a large metro area for shopping, Doctors,  hospital and the other things that a metro area offers.  Close enough to the trails so I can ride from the house to the trails.  For me the Saguenay area would fit my needs and wants. 

11 minutes ago, Saguenay Bill said:

If I were 25 years younger I would buy a place on the north side of the Saguenay area.  I would not want a cabin the woods because I want electricity  but not from a generator.  But I still want to be in a wooded area.  Close enough, 25 miles, to a large metro area for shopping, Doctors,  hospital and the other things that a metro area offers.  Close enough to the trails so I can ride from the house to the trails.  For me the Saguenay area would fit my needs and wants. 

I would be happy with just the 25 years younger part.

My only issue with owning a cabin was/would be that I get tired of riding the same trails week after week. I prefer to spend my $ on saddle bag trips and seeing different scenery each trip. Also with the initial cost, up keep, taxes etc. It'd be a hard a hard sell for me again. JMO for each there own.

I'm thinking about a camp ground with nice cabins on a lake and close to a trail. Then I would have some summer income and Winter. Of course I would have to find someone who doesn't like to snowmobile to run it for me because I would be riding all winter!!!!

3 hours ago, Saguenay Bill said:

Some members here have explored this in years past and decided the better option was a seasonal rental after researching ownership options. I think it depends on how much time you will actually be able to spend at the property because there will always be upkeep and maintenance. These are big issues when you are only there a limited number of times during the year since there is much to do and limited time to do it - unless you can afford (and find) a good caretaker.

For me, I have to go along with Bill's list because once you pass the 55-60 y/o mark, most of us want creature comforts and amenities. Access to healthcare can literally be a life and death necessity and I am not clear how you get that in Canada if you remain a US citizen. Living in 'a cabin in the woods' is a romantic notion but hauling water and feeding a generator wouldn't work for me. I am also somewhat of a 'worrier' so owning a place would add all the worries of the things that can happen when no one is there:  heat goes off / pipes freeze, break-ins, property damage from weather events, etc., etc.

I own a seasonal property on a lake that is only a short distance from our primary home in Vermont and can tell you from personal experience that there are many things that come up that you might not even think of! Plus, things like insurance for a second home can be tricky these days because insurance companies are really limiting their exposure so place some crazy restrictions on second homes.

I still find myself dreaming when I come across a property for sale in Quebec though !

Well I think I am living the dream. In 1971 my father, my brother and myself bought a cottage in the laurentiens as a snowmobile base. In those days there was sledding in lots of places on the island of Montreal where we lived but we wanted more. It was a small rustic summer cottage on a beautiful lake and we fixed it up some and had winter and summer fun with it. Fast forward to a few years back and I bought out my brother the remaining partner, turned the cottage into a house with full basement etc ( although it is still a work in progress )  sold up in Montreal and moved there with my wife. We have all the major stores 20 min away in st Jovite, medical etc and Montreal is only 1 hr and 10 min away with our kids living there to impose on should we want / need to stay there. Got summer toys and winter sled trails accessible right down the lake, although the number of trails lately have declined and one must travel on a sled a bit further to get into fresh territory. I could saddle bag almost anywhere right from here if one has the time but I do agree trailering to new areas or areas that get blessed with better conditions at any given time is an important option.

SEASON RENTAL if u are not living there year round , close but not in town and ride right out your garage onto trails . IF u retire their soon then BUY , but try and be near a   Provincial trail , not a private club run trail as they close often , u want as many  trails poss to connect fast for different adventures

We have thought about this but came to the conclusion that if we didn't use it for more than the winter season, it wasn't practical.  You can argue the money side of which is cheaper, your own place or hotels but it is hard to put a value on all the options.  Without looking at the monetary side of the equation, hotels give you more flexibility, you don't have to make the bed or wash the dishes.  You can trailer or ride to where the best snow is or where you haven't been in awhile.

If we were to use it for winter sports, fishing during the warm months or ATVing, ownership might have more weight.  Renting a seasonal place for two months would be a great way to test an area to see if it fits your expectations before you buy.

We agree completely with what Bill said about being close to amenities.  As we age, those creature comforts and professional services become more important.

Just our 2¢ worth.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

On 12/20/2017 at 12:37 PM, Cnc said:

Well I think I am living the dream...on a beautiful lake...all the major stores 20 min away...summer toys and winter sled trails accessible right down the lake...saddle bag almost anywhere right from here...trailering to new areas or areas that get blessed with better conditions at any given time...

"Living the dream" indeed! 

You and Mr. & Mrs. Iceman!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone that took time to reply to this question.

Seems  majority of you have already figured out is "Home is Home and Quebec is where you trailer to; to enjoy sledding.

Had our first grandchild just before Christmas and another one due this coming June. I don't think Grandma is moving anywhere.

It's time to update the 10 year old enclosed trailer and finalize some trips plans.

Happy Trails, Steve

On 12/19/2017 at 11:58 PM, PLAYHARD said:

Congrats on the great news of your pop's successful surgery!

I've been eyeing stuff near Quebec City airport for a while now.

Hey I have the same idea.  But for me a condo near a golf course.  Been thinking of buying for a few years now.  Seasonal rental seems like something to consider as well tho.

We're lucky where I live (Mayo, Qc).  45 minutes from world class cardiac care in Ottawa (yes, they do take Québec patients!) and all the amenities of the nation's capital, but rustic enough that property values and land taxes are relatively low (relative to Ontario that is).  There's a bit of cottage property turn-over in the neighbouring municipality (Mulgrave et Derry), as well as in Mayo, but seasonal cottage rentals are also available.  Anyway, like I tell my friends, I sled a mile past my property to arrive at the club trail and, when I do, I can turn left and go to Manitoba or turn right and go to Cape Breton (in theory, anyway!).