Trail conditions around St. Michelle Des Saints

MFARJM

Rode 120 miles yesterday and 212 today. The season has definitely opened early!!.. 63 from St. Michelle to Cabanon was about an 8,  33 to 360 to Hotel Marineau 7-9. M 20 a ten.

NOTICE!   33 North of St Michael where 360 starts , is still being logged according to owner of Cabanon. The loggers were supposed to be out two weeks ago.

ALSO  350 from Le Glaciers to 23  is closed due to flooding and washout. It is not marked, no signs saying it is closed until you are almost to 23 about 4 miles in.

Temps were mid January 0 to 10 deg. F, trails were well covered and groomed, hard pack with only a couple of water holes.

Thanks Mother Nature

Jeff

On 12/22/2017 at 5:52 AM, Ontariokid95 said:

Thanks for that, I am headed up there dec 28th, what are some good destinations for day trips out of Saint Michel Des Saints? I am new to the area and also new to Quebec

How many miles you want to ride each day? My guess is it will be busy when you are there not many places are fully opened up so it will be full there. This area gets a bad rap for this reason alone it gets mobbed early in the season and the trails get hammered then the snow gets beat into something with the consistency of styrofoam beads and the grooming lasts for about 5 sled passes. All that being said the further you venture from SMDS the better the trails will be. Go North make the trip to Kanawata, Go to Riviere Mattawin and come back by the M20. The key will be get up and get going early to beat the rush  

Thanks for the report MFARJM! I had mentioned it for the #350 in my report but was thinking they had did it since. Was told a beaver family have raise the water level in the savanah cause the problem...

For Ontariokid95, Viper2 gave you some good hint: The Kanawata Auberge on the #345 north for lunch round trip and the Marineau Auberge at Rivière mattawin on the #360 trail just along St-Maurice river on the east side are 2 great rides. Having a lunch at Koubec passing on the #23 north as I did on my ride report may be a nice option too. Going to see the new belvedere on the top of  the Black Mountain in St-Donat on the south-west side would be very nice to see but may be more crowded on this side at those dates in the holidays.

Have a good trip and take a look here for trail conditons and more: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Alain

Lol what Alain said he is the master of this area. I only wondered where you were staying because if you stay at Le Cabanon, Denis is a wealth of knowledge as far as problems/ issues or what has been groomed. They run something like 4 groomers out of there and he can give you up to date info and tell you where to ride and where to stay away from

On 12/22/2017 at 5:52 AM, Ontariokid95 said:

Thanks for that, I am headed up there dec 28th, what are some good destinations for day trips out of Saint Michel Des Saints? I am new to the area and also new to Quebec

DON"T eat at Lac Repos !!! Gas and Go only.  Have a Great trip !