Good Snowmobile jacket suggestions

Sled Dog

I think its time.  My Cold Wave jacket is not cutting it anymore.  I'm not sure if they lose their wind protection over time or I'm just getting older!  Felt it last year on my chest area on my 1200 and same area this year on 850.  Not that cold either...15-30f degrees.  That won't cut it in Quebec!!  And this is my first and only sled jacket since I started snowmobiling, 14 years ago!

Any suggestions?  All my friends have KLIM and like them.  I have Klim bibs and Cold Wave bibs.  I honestly like the Cold Wave ones better.  Easier to get into.  The Klim are not any warmer and I believe the Klim were MUCH more expensive than the Cold Wave.  I want inner and outer pockets.  I store things in the pockets that I will probably never use but may need someday.  (fire starter stuff, glow sticks, etc)  I would rather it be heavy for cold as if its warmer out I can take off inner layers.  Price is not an issue as you can tell, I will use for a long time!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Have you checked out sled brand clothing lately? I have had a number of non snowmobile branded jackets over the the last 10 years and was mostly satisfied  but I bought New Yamaha  branded clothing 2 years ago and I am surprised how well it is made and how warm it is. I was always of the impression they just looked pretty and were over priced. The dealer was ready to bargain and buying new suits for both me and the wife he knocked off a fair bit.

Also another thought comes to mind, heated vest.

I agree the Klim is way overpriced for what it is. Would probably be great for mountain riding but not warm enough for Quebec without all kinds of expensive layering or a heated mid layer. I have Yamaha Branded bibs and jacket and they are great but if you are not a Yamaha rider they also carry the exact same stuff branded Snoforce and it is of equal quality. If you are not looking to advertise for someone they are a nice choice as the branding is small

FXR  very good and warm but heavy , same thing for choco , yamaha stuff is  fxr stuff , Angora is good and warm , I use KLIM  stuff now . expensive unless u find a deal and i did for everything . Its mostly a layer system so u can tailor it to the weather , I ride mostly quebec like yesterday at - 25 and no problem with being cold . 

Buy in Canada.  I bought a full suit 2 years ago in Alma at the ski doo dealer.  They had a 850 dollar suit on sale at 25 % off. With exchange rate of another 25 % my cost was little over 400. Best deal I ever got. Be safe everyone.

I find the Choko Adventurer and the Choko Extreme bibs to be the warmest jacket and pant I've ever had in 35 years.  I ride in northern Quebec and ride in very cold temps.  Quite a few of our fellow QR members who thought the layered Klim thing was the berries are now wearing the Choko when the temps are very cold.

10 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

And check the thread on tall windshields!

:good:

Yup, the shape of sleds cabs and windshields that do little on the sleds these days coupled with getting older makes you feel the cold more. My Yamaha even with a decent windshield is way colder to ride than my old early 2000's Polaris sleds.

Everything I was gonna add had been said already so x2 on the Skidoo Absolute 0 gear. I Rode through driving rain and -20 degree temps last year. The stuff is warm and waterproof. Wished I woulda got the Absolute 0 bibs. The klim  bibs are not as warm and water leaked in during the rain. Still a nice set of bibs though. The newer sleds aren’t as warm as the older sleds so the tallest windshield you can get helps plus gauntlets. I love my Skidoo’s but that’s one downfall to them is poor windprotection even with the tall windshield. 

Very good info and thanks.  You guys have given me ideas on gear to check out.

I have gauntlets.  Rarely use them, hands don't get cold very often.  Have the medium windshield for 850 with side deflectors.  Wind seems to hit in middle of helmet.  Rode in Quebec one year at -40f/c.  Wow was that cold.  Had the giant Yamaha windshield with supports on and gauntlets.  Many, many layers on that day!!!!

Think I'm going to go with Ski Doo absolute zero.    I ride Ski Doo (not that that matters) and have found that everything they make is pretty top notch.  Expensive but dealer said they would knock off 15%.  They don't carry them but can order.

Dealer also said most Doo clothing accessories run small.  Anyone else experience this?

dog, that's what I got . great jacket for the very cold , but to walm in march ,  love the zip in liner to  . im not a very big guy, but got the xl. just because the high pant take up some room at the top . you cant go wrong with jacket.

Got my Ski Doo Absolute 0 jacket today.  I think it will be very, very warm.  Maybe too warm.  But the liner comes out and that is a good thing.  And I'd rather shed layers than be cold!  Supposed to have a high of 2f this Saturday here in Central NY.  Have a 200+ mile day planned so it will get a good test!