2018 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

Another summer has come and gone.  Now it is snowmobile season.  Yea! 

Five feet of snow in PA was tempting but we already have reservations at the Sagueneenne.

Sandi and I drove up today.  Snow on the ground from home in CT to Lac St Jean.  It hasn't been this way in many years.  The roads are clean.

We stop at Motel Berniers in St Nicolas to check out the renovations.  The new Normandin restaurant is complete in the big parking lot across from where the old restaurant / motel originally stood.  The original part of Berniers, the restaurants and the "L" part of the motel are gone.  The new part of the motel that was put up a few years ago still stands.  The motel is closed during the renovations.  No riding out of here this season.  The trail head for trail 75 is also gone.  The 75 now ends where it crosses the road about 1/4 of a mile from Berniers.  There isn't any signage for the transport to Colibri.  We didn't ask in the Normandin.  Anyone wanting to transport should call ahead.  If anyone know the status of the transport to Colibri, please post.

We continue on up thru the park.  The road is a little icy around L'Etape.  We get into the Sag.  A few rigs here and plenty of snow.  As we are unloading, the sledders are coming back in from their day's ride.  We met two couples at supper, one from MA and one from Ontario.  They said the trails are in great shape and very little traffic.

Tomorrow is our first day of riding.  Not sure where yet.  We will post tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

We were only talking about you two yesterday, I was saying can't be long before Jack and Sandi go up, and there you are lol.
Looking forward to your reports, can't wait. Hope you don't get woken by a fire this year. Have a great time be safe. Hope to see you in February.
Gary and Pat..

Like everyone else, I have been awaiting your trip reports! Better dress warm, -23 on ride into work here this morning! That's to bad about Berniers, that was always a great starting spot. Have fun, stay warm and send those reports!

11 hours ago, MrGutz said:

GuyZ 

I was going to email\PM you tonight on when you were going up... Well I guess you've answered my question.

We'll be driving up on Saturday. Have fun and start the recon!

Thanks

GutZ

How long are you going for? Didn't think the conditions would be this good this early in the season. Depending on what you, Jack & Sandi report may come up middle of next week. Getting the itch! You all have a great ride and see you soon.

Thanks for all of the responses.  We are humbled to be able to give you something to smile about.

This morning we get up to a brisk -25C.  A little slow getting started today.  Our first ride of the season. 

No heated snowmobile tents, fire, like last year.  I bring the sleds over to the room and let them warm up for a few minutes and then shut them off while we get ready.

Sandi, does the Tekvest go under the bib or on top?  Where is the cord for my heated shield?  They should mark these boots left and right.  How come I forget how to get dressed each December!

I'm finally ready, go out and go to start Sandi's 1200.  I push the button and nothing!  What is up with this it was just running 5 minutes ago.  I try my tether, nothing.  Kill switch up, tether in and I'm pushing the right button.  Now it is turning over but won't start!  I take the Garmin out of the cradle and try it again.  Voom.  It starts up.  I put the Garmin back in the cradle and the sled keeps running.  This is bizarre.  Fast forward - Sandi had to pull the Garmin a few times this morning and then in the afternoon she didn't have to take the Garmin out.  What a crazy thing this is.

I don't have to tell Sandi to go first.  She is already gone.  We take off heading for the two bridges to get on the north side of the Saguenay River.  Good riding.  Plenty of snow and the groomers have been out doing their thing.  We turn right on local 134.  A couple of miles in where the trail crosses the bridge with the road and Pickle Park is straight ahead, the trail no longer runs the road.  Now the trail takes a hard right.  It  runs thru the fields and comes back to the road just before the lookout tower.  Here the trail goes up to the lookout tower instead of staying on the road.  It meanders back and forth but doesn't use the old road anymore.  Once we get a few miles out, the new trail  does join back up with the old trail.  Easy enough to follow just that the new trail wanders around a bit.

We turn right on 93, go thru St Honore and buzz up to Le Passion to top off the tanks.  A quick u-turn and back to Bras Louie for a quick run to local 477.  We are off to Onatchiway for lunch.  

5a45822027aeb_BrasLouis477.JPG.50e83edba4bb8b2890cf70ce93d70605.JPGu

The trails are great and the trees are covered with the fluffy snow.  We haven't seen much traffic on the trails but there sure is a crowd at Onatchiway.  A table for two please.  What a nice morning.

After lunch we take 476 running along the side of Lac La Mothe.  This was recently groomed and Sandi loves it.  At 328 we turn right, a few miles later we turn left onto 134.  this has a few drifts as normal but the trail is in pretty good shape.  We still don't see much traffic other than the six sleds parked on the blind corner.  Come on guys.  Leave one sled so it can be seen from a distance.

We are early so we run over to Spence SkiDoo.  Sandi needs another cord for her heated shield and a little anti-freeze for the sled.  I guess I was lucky this morning by grabbing the good cord.  We finish the day going back thru Jonquiere to Chicoutimi.

Everything is frozen solid and the trails have a great base.  Really, really nice December riding.

Tomorrow may be a Milot day.  Until then, start packing your snowmobile stuff for some fantastic trails.

Jack & Sandi

Don, we will see you Sunday.

Tom, it sure does feel good to be back on the sleds.

Dave, Sandi forgot to put on her Tekvest yesterday.

Now its time for breakfast and we are off.  Milot doesn't show groomed last night so we will have to decide on an alternate.  

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack, love the report , I go through the what do I wear every year with pat, she has already asked me to get the stuff out for her to put on , and our bilodeau's are marked up with L and R in felt pen lol..... looking forward to tomorrow's report be safe.
Gary and Pat.

Well I guess I'm not the only one getting forgetful as I leave my childhood.  My mother tells me it gets worse!  :unknw:

This morning the groomer map isn't showing Milot as being groomed so we go to alt plan B.  Lets stay below the Saguenay River and explore.  We leave the Sag and head west on 83.  Sandi is the first sled on the fresh groomed trail.  We cruise by the Delta and go left under the highway.  At the intersection with 383 that goes to the barrage, we notice that 383 is signed as a cul-de-sac.  Is it too early in the season?  No because we have been that way in previous years.  Oh well, we stay on 83.

At local trail 7, we turn right and in a couple of miles we turn left picking up the other side of 383 heading toward the old pipeline.  Still fresh groomed.  Oh this is nice.  Once again there is very little opposing traffic.  Most everyone is working I guess.  Keep going Sandi.  I love the snow dust.  We get to the local 1 that goes to St Charles.  This has been groomed and is also marked cul-de-sac.  Maybe the club got a special deal on some left over cul-de-sac signs.  Go ahead Sandi.  Lets give it a try and see where it brings us.  The trail is also marked Jonquiere Nord.  We cross the railroad tracks and highway 170.  A short distance later and we are on the old pipeline.  It looks like this may have been the first time thru with the groomer.  No other tracks on the trail and some brush sticking up thru.  The trail is groomed to the left off of the pipeline where the trail goes to St Charles.  We follow this along.  Definitely the was the groomer's first pass.  We poke along still on the old trail.  About a mile from the river crossing, the "new" trail goes to the right.  It goes thru fields and woods and works its way down between a few houses.  We are now at the end where the groomer turned around.  I can see the river down below.  We follow a narrow path and it drops down to the end of a road.  There is a sign here "fin" and a water crossing sign.  Looking at Sandi's Garmin, we are a little east of the old crossing.  There are smowmobile tracks going to the St Charles side and the river is very frozen.  It has been -20C for a week or so.  OK.  This must be the new crossing.  It is doable.  Today's journey is for us is to stay on the south side so we u-turn and go back to 383.

We continue along and pick up 83 at the end of Kenogami and scoot across to Relais Grenouille.  A couple of sleds here but it is early, 11:15 AM.  We decide to take a short break and have a little nourishment.  Its very clean inside.  A really hot spot especially on weekends.

After lunch we stay on 383 to Hebertville.  Boy is this a good trail.  Being this cold, the trails have setup and the minimal amount of traffic has hardly touched the surface.  We top off the tanks and take 23 south.  Wow!  I thought 383 was good.  This 23 is even better.  It has had just enough traffic to give the surface a little fluff.  Sandi is on her way.  About half way between 83 east and 368 there is a river crossing that the groomer always detours around via the auto bridge.  Well, now there is a brand new steel snowmobile bridge.  I get the camera out, take one picture of the trail to test the camera and the battery goes dead.  Here is a picture of the trail.

5a46c7b1d53fb_23bynewbridgebelowHebertville.JPG.b3532a196b8af690ebbe1eb3c9f1374f.JPG

Next time I'll have to skip the test shot!  The bridge is behind me.  Now everyone knows I'm not a camera wiz.

We keep running down 23 south.  At 368 we turn left and start making our way back to the hotel.  368 has a few rough spots but we're not complaining.  When we get to the junction with 383 that cuts back to the barrage, wouldn't you know it, this side is marked ferme, closed.  I'm guessing this may be a permanent closure by the looks of it.

We stay on 368.  A little drifted in in the big fields.  Turn left on 83 and head back to the Sag.

What a nice day.  Good trails, low traffic and no issues. 

Back at the hotel, I decide to give the Duramax a try.  I jump in, turn the key half way and notice the temp is -6F.  I cycle the glow plugs once more and give it a try.  It starts up.  Yea!  I let it run for fifteen minutes or so.  Unfortunately there aren't any outlets out in the parking lot that I can plug the diesel in to.

Until tomorrow, sleep tight and dream of snowmobiling.  We will.

Jack & Sandi

7 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I forgot them completely at least once.... I forget alot.

Hey, did I tell you about the time I forgot my snowpants on our trip to the Gaspe?

GutZ

Hi Jack and Sandi

Thanks for the great reports, hope to be right on your heals. 

Happy New Year 🍾🍾🍾

5 hours ago, viper2 said:

I saw a report on Facebook about a theft last night at the Sag, just a heads up

Hi Rick.  Did it have any details?  We didn't see any police here this morning and we left on the sleds around 8:30 AM.

Jack & Sandi

FYI #1

No-Hair and I just spoke with some guys here at the Delta and they said thieves are skulking around, looking for mountain sleds.

FYI #2

You guyZ we have NEVER seen so many cars in "The Park",  at Letape, Gas Stations, etc....

And they are driving like idiots! Be safe!

GutZ

Today its cold again.  We are going to Relais Vauvert in Peribonka for lunch.

On the sleds and off we go.  83 is nice as always and 367 was groomed last night.  We cross the two bridges and stay on 367.  This is pretty good.  Usually 367 is bad this early but it has been groomed.  About half way to St Ambroise, 367 runs the road for a short distance and there is a drainage ditch along the north side of the road.  Well we see a sled parked on the road and a big Grand Tour in the ditch.  Some people run the ditch but this early in the season, there is water and slush and mud in the bottom of it.  The Grand Tour is up to the running boards in the muck and won't move.  So we stop and give them a hand.  Rocking the sled back and forth we were able to free it from the mud.  I got out my trusty tow strap and one of the Frenchman hooked it to the front of the Grand Tour and the back of the sled up on the road.  A little tug and it popped out of the mud.  A couple of big thank you's and every one is happy and back on their sleds.

We run thru the short pine trees and at St Ambroise turn left onto 93.  This is also fresh groomed.  So many trails and not enough time.  Cruising along and at Alma where 23 and the local trail from Labrecque meet 93, there is new road construction.  Looks like a new four lane road coming up from Alma.  Its not open yet but 23 has been moved slightly and the local trail joins 93 further northwest.

After this, no major changes.  The trail is fine.  A few sleds running around but far from heavy traffic.

We arrive at Vauvert and oh no - its closed.  Now what.  Another sled pulls up and he thinks that they will open after Jan 1st but he wasn't positive.

So we u-turn and head back.  We grab lunch in St Monique at a bar / restaurant near the Crevier station.  After lunch we return the way we came out.

Short post tonight.  We have a couple of things to tend to and get ready for tomorrow's ride.  I've got a couple of pics I'll put up later.

Jack & Sandi

• revct1 changed the title to 2018 Jack & Sandi's trips