2018 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

Sandi and I are back on the trail again.  We trucked to the Delta Tuesday.  I've been looking for a pair of those big furry mitts and Bill said Bilodeau in Normandin is the place to check out.  So Wednesday morning the groomer map shows green on much of 93.  Off we go.

We ran over to Spence SkiDoo first but they didn't have anything to fit my big hands.  So north we go.  Across the two bridges and thru St Ambroise.  The map showed that 93 around Alma was not groomed so we grab the local trial up to Relais du Lac and get on 328.  This brings us to 367 to St Monique.  Like MrGutz says, 9 and 10 all the way thru.  No bumps and no traffic.

Thru Peribonka and back on 93.  Nice riding up here.  This doesn't get much traffic and the trails are fun.

We get into Normandin and pull into the Sconic to gas up.  Bilodeau is just around the corner but the "trail" doesn't go there.  We can either go down the road, not much snow on it and its busy, or we can follow the local tracks and hope for the best.  So we opt for the local tracks.  Bilodeau is not even 1/2 mile from Sconic.  We wound around behind the houses and popped out on one of the side streets.  I look up and down route 169 and don't see it.  A car comes up the street with a couple of young guys in it.  I ask them where is Bilodeau and they say follow us.  They turn right towards the center of town and we follow them on the sidewalk.  Two blocks down and there it is, Bilodeau.  A big wave and we are here.

The store isn't huge but impressive.

IMG_0933.JPG.45fff1a987688cde9befac22ec731774.JPG

They had a big selection but most of the mittens had the fur laying toward the finger tips.  I wanted the fur going back toward my wrist.  Sandi has a pair with the fur going toward the finger tips and snow gets packed into the fur while she is riding.

The sales person at Bilodeau said that beaver is the warmest and they can make up a pair for me.  I don't know how long it usually takes but she said they would be ready next week.  Out comes the credit card.

We take the same trails on the way back to the Delta.  Still great.  A fantastic first day of the trip.  More to come.

Jack & Sandi

A lot of folks reacting.  If you take the local single sled track behind the Sconic you can get to Bilodeau.  Bilodeau is on the corner of route 169 and rue Ferland.  You can get to the bottom of Ferland with the local trail and then run up to route 169.

Jack & Sandi

Day 2 Thursday, we are heading to the Four Points to meet Jason and Yushen.  They are driving up from CT and renting a sled for three days.

We leave the Delta and head east on 83 and then take 368.  368 is perfect.  What a nice ride.  We turn left on 23 and buzz on down to Apica.  We have chocolate chaud at Apica.  Only a few sleds here.  The middle of the week and it is quiet.

Back on 23 to L'Etape.  So nice and smooth.  A few sleds heading north.  L'Etape has sleds but it can accommodate a lot of people.  Lunch it is.  Oh no!  They don't have chicken pot pie anymore.  I was really looking forward to that.  Instead, Sandi and I split a club sandwich.

Now its time for trail 369.  We haven't been on this in a long time.  Years ago we would truck to Lac Beauport and sled out of there.  That Auberge has since been torn down.

369 is groomed and fine.  The weather is warm and there is light snow in the air.  We get to the split where the trail to the left cuts over to trail 3 or to the right stays on 369.  We decide to stay on 369.  The upper section is fine but as we get near Lac Beauport, I forgot how twisty this trail gets.  After so many miles of great trails, this gnarly stuff, left right, up down back and forth gets old real quick.  Six miles of torture and we finally meet trail 3.  Straight trail but it is drizzling now and 3 is rough.  Tough it out.  There is only about 5 miles of this to the Four Points.

We make it in and we are also the first sleds here tonight.  A few more pull in right after us.  We even beat Jason and Yushen.  A great ride today other than the tail end of it.

A shout out to MikeRider.  You mentioned duck at Levesque the other day.  That made me willing to try the duck here.  The Four Points duck is also fantastic.  Not something I would normally order but it was good!

Jack & Sandi

Day 3 Friday.  A busy morning.  Get Jason's car situated and leave what we don't need in the car, get the rental sled.  Nice sled, 600 km on  a 2018 Grand Tour.  This isn't even broken in yet.  Get the luggage loaded and off we go.

It cooled off overnight so the slush from the rain has froze.  Trail 3 is even groomed.  I never would have thought they would groom with as warm as it was overnight.  Icy but pretty smooth.  About ten miles out and the ice is gone and there is fresh snow on the trail.  This must have been the rain snow line.  3 is good.  It reminds me off trail 5 south of the river that follows the power lines.  3 does the same on the north side.  It has been a few years since we have rode 3.  A little choppy in places but overall very good.  3 gets a lot of city traffic on weekends.  I'm glad we are on it Friday.

Some nice scenery up here.

IMG_0939.thumb.JPG.06de82b14c7bc7e588f275e66d6e06f5.JPG

Sandi, Jason and Yushen below.

IMG_0940.thumb.JPG.25c7dee80fa18b833829551e93cd42b6.JPG

A little rustic relais on the trail looks like the spot to stop and have lunch.  Quebec plated sleds here.  The locals always know where the good places are.

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.284993efdba88aaa0153a5c52a019b95.JPG

IMG_0942.thumb.JPG.a87d39b0b9242b6a05e8a5289b60134d.JPG

Relais Le Grenier it is.  About 5 miles west of the cutoff to Clermont.  The lady behind the counter is taking orders and there is one guy in the back putting the food together.  I notice that she is not only taking the orders but she is also bringing the food to the tables and running the bar on the other side of the room.  She is moving.  We got our order in about 10 minutes.  I look around and there are 40 - 50 people here and he made food for everyone in about 20 minutes.  Wow!  It doesn't look like much from the outside but a good spot.

After lunch we are back on 3 east.  A few miles down the trail and there is a gas station just off the trail.  Top off the tanks and continue on.  We pass the Clermont cutoff and trail 83 that heads back up to Lac St Jean.  A few more miles and here is the groomer coming towards us.  This is great.  The groomer map showed this section wasn't groomed and now I know why.  He must have left this morning after the map had been updated.  Smooth sailing again.  3 is really nice until you get closer to Baie Sainte Catherine.  The trail gets a little cranky compared to what we were on.  It is still snowmobiling.  Finally we can see the Riviere Saguenay and drop down to the landing for the ferry.  Perfect timing.  The ferry is just coming over.

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.916f1e98b97892d4e1c77f8be307b80d.JPG

A few more sleds come down off the trail as one of the tractor trailers pull off of the ferry.  This is a no charge ferry because it is part of the road system.  

IMG_0957.thumb.JPG.f469809cb8aa84d65a7975eaacc7f01f.JPG

The ferry is a fun ride.  Something most snowmobilers don't get a chance to do.  Cars, buses, trucks and sleds all together for the trip across the river. 

IMG_0958.thumb.JPG.50b8e6b23d3f9e5b954bade7d19b70aa.JPG

Jason and Yushen.

IMG_0966.thumb.JPG.a4293fc4f16a11b8c4950656d5fb0cb1.JPG

Sandi standing guard.

IMG_0969.thumb.JPG.371c9f27a332ebd970dbd31d6f8d5dd4.JPG

We get off the ferry and get back on 3.  Still groomed.  Getting cooler now and the sun is going down.  The east sky has clouds and towards the west it is clear.  As the sunsets, the colors in the clouds keeps changing.  Mother Nature giving us a little light show.

IMG_0979.thumb.JPG.3c4e79fcca4bccbb02f2e74fdb4569b2.JPG

IMG_0975.thumb.JPG.ff209fafb06de9c829ff7fbef387fc07.JPG

IMG_0981.thumb.JPG.c384e9b0a04d8d81a2c45ec1e084ef0a.JPG

Trail 3 to 93 and we arrive at the Coronet for the night.  Lock up the sleds, relax over a couple of beverages with supper.  A great ride we had.  Tomorrow to the Delta.

Jack & Sandi

Day 4 Saturday.  A little cooler this morning but a clear sky.  We are heading to the Delta today.  What does the groomer map say?  Really, 93 is groomed to the Six Mile Lac turn off.  Thank you!  Last night before bed this was not groomed but it was done overnight.

This part of trail 93 aka C-900, for those of you that haven't ventured on it, is a logging road that runs way up into the north land.  93 uses about 35 miles of the lower end of this road.  It is wide, gentle turns and rolling hills.  Just what a trail cruiser would order.

We check out, get the sleds out of the enclosure and load up.  Sandi gets back on her sled and - it won't restart.  It was just running.  OK.  Don't panic.  Open up the right side panel and jump the starter solenoid.  The motor spins but no spark.  Pop the cover off of the relay box, pull the relays and warm them up in our hands for a few minutes.  Plug them back in, hit the starter button and voila its running.

Sandi is off in a shot and there are a few tracks on the trail northbound from overnight but no southbound tracks.  The groomer lives in Sacre Coeur so the southbound lane is clean.  Its a few miles before we actually get on the C-900.  It looks fine.  Sandi is picking up speed now.  The sled is warmed up and she is too.  Clear sky, groomed trail, autobahn here we go.  Sandi makes short work of the 35 miles to where 93 turns left.  We get to the turn off to the lookout.  We are early, lets go.  Its a 5 mile jaunt but its worth it.  This trail doesn't really go up much in elevation like the other lookouts but what a view.

IMG_0989.thumb.JPG.a0286071f37bb5d80d9016d42c6bdbf1.JPG

IMG_0992.thumb.JPG.f13a0241bcc1f5d693b5fcd8c6e26194.JPG

Jason, Yushen and Sandi.

IMG_0995.thumb.JPG.abfc8d5f9050e6f6973e1ec5268d0cf5.JPG

A few white crystals on the branches against that Canadian blue sky!

IMG_0997.thumb.JPG.f3105e569e1260995f299fad9257e27a.JPG

Back on the trail.  I usually don't recommend riding Mont Valin on weekends but our schedule didn't give us many options.  Here we go down 93 from La Chappelle to Valinuet.  It was groomed last night and it is before noon.  Traffic heading down the mountain is non-existent but up hill traffic is Quebec City at rush hour.  Keep your eyes open Sandi.  Sled after sled and group after group all heading up.  We have seen more sleds in this 25 mile stretch than I think we saw in the past 2 days, 600-700 miles.

We stop to get gas at Passion.  The ski slope is looking good.  A lot of chalets have been built here over the years and it keeps expanding.

IMG_0998.thumb.JPG.9966ab5b1e60437f6b38707ca62fe886.JPG

IMG_1001.thumb.JPG.4401cffa7e14ee28ad878cfa46e3d1dd.JPG

We get back on the sleds and go look for food.  Down 93 and right on 328.  We end up in St David de Farladeau.  We get gas in St David but have never stopped to eat here.  There is a Snack Bar next to the gas station and it is very good.  Clean, easy to get to but not much English.  We can get by.

After lunch we stay on 328 west for a little bit and then take 134 south.  Both of these are fantastic.  134 can be miserable when drifted but it was groomed.  We cross the 2 bridges and we are back at the Delta.  A lot of folks here tonight.  Its going to be a busy weekend up here.

Another ride for the books.  We lucked out on Mont Valin on a Saturday and everything else was great.  Tomorrow we head south back to the Four Points.

Jack & Sandi

Day 5 Sunday.  We are going back down to the Four Points.  A few snow flurries here at the Delta.  We pack up and the four of us are on our way.  83 east and then 368 west.  Both in good shape.  The snow is getting steadier now.  23 south here we go.  A little bit of traffic going with us.  At Mont Apica there are a dozen sleds or so.  Hot chocolate time and a short break.

Back on the 23 and Sandi is rolling along.  We see some oncoming traffic as we get closer to L'Etape.  Still not bad for a Sunday.  At L'Etape we gas up and grab food.  The snow is letting up now.  A few flurries but not steady like it was.

Here we jump on 369 south.  Same trail we took earlier to the Four Points.  This time as we get near trail 3, I'm debating on 369 or the 304 cutoff and pick up 3 sooner.  369 was really twisty thru Lac Beauport and I know 3 isn't going to be a cream puff on a Sunday afternoon.  I roll the dice and opt for 304 to 3.

304 is good and in 4 miles we are at the junction with 3.  We get on 3 west and as I thought it is rough.  It isn't going to slow Sandi down though.  Jason needs to get the rental back by 5:00 and Sandi is going to make sure he isn't late.  We stop at the last gas station just before Four Points and fill the sleds up.  Another mile and we are in.  Plenty of time for Jason.

Another good ride except for trail 3.  Going 304 to 3 is about 10 miles shorter than 369 to 3 to the Four Points.  Even being as rough as 3 was, it is still quicker.  Until tomorrow, be safe and happy trails.

Jack & Sandi

Day 6 Monday.  We say goodbye to Jason and Yushen.  They've turned in the rental and are heading back to CT.  It was a great 3 day ride with them.  The only bad trail was trail 3 last night for 25 miles but it was Sunday afternoon near Quebec City.  That is to be expected.

Today Sandi and I take off and they groomed trail 3 again last night.  It is amazing what they can do with the drag.  The trail has set up nicely and we are off.  We turn left on 304, the short connector to 369.  Turn right on 369 and everything has been groomed.  Not much for traffic.  It is Monday.  Knocking off the miles will pull into L'Etape.  Too early for lunch so we top off the tanks and take a 10 minute break.

On weekends it is tough to find a seat here.  Monday is a different story.

5a8b4b87e166a_IMG_1020adj.thumb.jpg.bafc67eb23baabd1884e487241318d1a.jpg

We get on 23 north and meet the groomer heading south a few miles before Mont Apica.  There are a few sleds at Mont Apica.  Time for lunch.  No need for gas.  We have plenty to make it to the Delta.  A nice day albeit on the warm side.  The trail is a little soft but plenty of snow.

We finish 23 to 368 and over to 83.  All of this again is fine.  Maybe the groomers are trying to stay ahead of Wednesday's warm up.  We pull into the Delta and unload.  Another day for the books.

Tomorrow we go up to Bilodeau in Normandin to pick up the mitts I ordered.  No more cold fingertips for me!

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1
Enhance pic

Day 7 Tuesday.  The last day of riding.  We are going back up to Normandin to pick up my new mitts.  Hopefully they will be ready.  Jak has decided to come along for the ride and check out Bilodeau.  The groomer map shows some good and maybe some not so good.

Off we go crossing the 2 bridges.  367 looks good.  We turn left onto 93 and this is decent too.  We take the local trail up towards Relais du Lac and loop around the lake on 328 to 367.  This area I really like and it is not disappointing today.

We get to 93 and turn right.  This is a different story.  The map showed this as not being groomed lately and the trail shows the same.  The weekend has put a beating on the trail.  The power line after St Monique is rough.  We turn left staying on 367 thru Peribonka, still rough.  Finally after Relais Vauvert the trail improves.  Sandi picks up speed and we are rolling again.  Relais Vauvert was closed today so we will have to find another lunch spot.  Cruising up 93 we get to the cut off of 373 to Normandin.  The relais here is also closed. 

A lot of the relais seem to have shortened their hours.  They aren't open as many days.  Maybe not as much traffic and not as many customers to stay open 7 days?  We like to stop at the relais if we can and help support them.  Most off them you get a good meal at a reasonable price.  So we turn left on 373 and buzz into Normandin and Bilodeau.

We go inside and I dig out the receipt.  The girl behind the counter looks at the receipt and smiles.  She doesn't speak English but the smile tells me the mitts are ready.  She goes out back and returns with a big bag with my mitts.  Oh these look nice.  First of all they look huge but fit fine.  A nice deep brown color to the beaver fur they picked.  There is an extra piece of material across the palm and thumb for wear against the handlebars.  Very, very nice.  My fingers are going to be happy now.  A few more pics of the critters in the store.

IMG_1028.thumb.JPG.49c65fbd35cb2a6ac1e672ce3e57ea06.JPGIMG_1027.thumb.JPG.f7997252a476fd28c0cf392bca295fac.JPGIMG_1026.thumb.JPG.cb0d47c63d3518ecd5f4a51160194c3d.JPGIMG_1025.thumb.JPG.4e4374716814e190d47fc21221656c8c.JPGIMG_1024.thumb.JPG.89e9496f388d6e629702d1fccde1ab9f.JPGIMG_1023.thumb.JPG.ec2b7f79c0a22f005998a58e0f39ee75.JPG

Another English speaking worker tells us that some of these are used as props in movies.  They have a large selection elsewhere.  What they have in the store is just a few of the collection.

She also says there is a restaurant, Cafe Marcel, just down the street.  She says to ride the sleds along the edge of the street.  Everybody does it.  We take her advice and go have lunch.  A good recommendation for lunch.

After lunch we head back the way we came, 373, 93, 367.  Peribonka and St Monique are still rough.  I was hopping a groomer might have been out but not today.  After St Monique we turn left on 367 again and this is fine.  The rest of the ride back to Jonquiere is very good.  About 2 miles from the Delta the freezing rain hits our shields.  The wind is really picking up now too.  We get in the hotel safe and sound.

Thanks for the company today Jak.  It was fun day.

A really nice trip.  It was good to see so many Quebec Rider folks.  Wednesday we head back to CT.  Is there one more ride left for us this year?  Maybe if we can schedule things at home.

Be safe and enjoy the trails.

Jack & Sandi

I haven't  got any  pictures,  but I must say  they looked  absolutely  stunning. Jack and Sandi left the delta  this morning  for home, but I'm  sure he'll  post pictures when they get back..

6 hours ago, SnomoGary said:

I haven't  got any  pictures,  but I must say  they looked  absolutely  stunning. Jack and Sandi left the delta  this morning  for home, but I'm  sure he'll  post pictures when they get back..

Leaving!

You just got there!

Have a safe flight home.

Team GutZ

• revct1 changed the title to 2018 Jack & Sandi's trips