Degelis to Thetford mines

Mark Habbi

Planning a 4 day riding trip on Jan 20 free weekend. How is the riding down around Lamassif/ thetford mines. Are there any particular sights to take in , areas to see. What are some popular places to stay overnight in that area. Or would we be better off up around Levis. Also are there any hotels in Degelis where you can park truck and trailer for a few days. 

Others can chime in, but I'm not as fond of the riding around Thetford Mines area or anything west of a line drawn from Jackman, Maine to Quebec City. I find anything east of the line much more scenic and far less field riding that is offered west of the line.  I prefer Montmagny,  Riviere du Loup, Rimouski, and Amqui for scenic and great trails. Popular hotels are the Universal and Leversque  in Riviere, O'leisiere in Montmagny and there are a couple really nice ones in Rimouski. Have a good trip. In a  few days I will be posting conditions during my stay in Riviere du Loup from the 8th til the 20th under the Bas St-Laurent region of Quebecrider.

mike

I would concur with Mike, we are riding this area currently, Eastern townships and western chaudierre. and we all have remarked how it has been years since we rode extensively on these trails. Currently the higher elevations have plenty of snow, lower elevations are covered but marginal in places.  We actually have enjoyed the change of scenery, but do agree with Mike that historically the best conditions tend to be eastern  chaudierre and Bas St Laurent and Gaspe

one of my favorite areas here is the Ham Nord area, 1800 feet elevations  rolling hills and farm fields.

By mid winter, this area should be great, oh and the BRP Factory and Museum are always a treat to visit.

We have done gaspe a couple of times and also gaspe to Levis and back. Those trips were great, just thought we would try a different area. We are coming from PEI so our 2 options 2 start are Degelis or Pt a LA croix. Looking at the map there seems to be a high concentration of trails down there so assumed it was very popular.

I would add there are very few club houses on the western section. While the western section is okay, the eastern section feels more sled friendly with all the clubs, so many sleds at each hotel,  restaurants that have parking lots full of fellow sledders etc.    Also, all the field riding on the western side can get very rough with drifts.

:good:the 1212 rest,bar hotel nice stayed there and have seen trailers parked there access to gas easy located in degelis.the trip from there to levi is also nice on a clear day lots of flatlands,stay at four points in levi,nice rooms bar rest indoor heated snowmobile parking. from there head east to river du loup.and go back to mike rider first post

I have stayed at lake William, nice place, but as Mike has mentioned, this area is not the same as the east, there is good riding there but the end all for me was that in 5 days I crossed more black top than the previous 30k miles , not my idea of the Quebec riding experience, but I will say it is close to everything you could ever need or want, especially in an emergency, a great area to take the family for day outings.

4 day loop, start from Cabano or Degelis, straight down the TQ35 to Quebec city, across on the shuttle. Up the TQ 3 along the St Lawrence, across the Saguenay to Baie Comeau ,across the ferry and back to the trucks. It will take a little planning on which direction to travel to  coincide with the ferry schedule. You can also start from PALC which is a shorter truck drive from the Island. 

Look at the Quebec Shuttle thread for contact info. Trails are groomed right into the ferry terminals, yes drive on drive off.  At a quick guess I would think about 1000 miles.  It is an easy trip but you need to be prepared to cover some miles. 

15 hours ago, mikerider said:

Others can chime in, but I'm not as fond of the riding around Thetford Mines area or anything west of a line drawn from Jackman, Maine to Quebec City. I find anything east of the line much more scenic and far less field riding that is offered west of the line.  I prefer Montmagny,  Riviere du Loup, Rimouski, and Amqui for scenic and great trails. Popular hotels are the Universal and Leversque  in Riviere, O'leisiere in Montmagny and there are a couple really nice ones in Rimouski. Have a good trip. In a  few days I will be posting conditions during my stay in Riviere du Loup from the 8th til the 20th under the Bas St-Laurent region of Quebecrider.

mike

Looking forward to it Mikey

On 04/01/2018 at 5:28 PM, smclelan said:

4 day loop, start from Cabano or Degelis, straight down the TQ35 to Quebec city, across on the shuttle. Up the TQ 3 along the St Lawrence, across the Saguenay to Baie Comeau ,across the ferry and back to the trucks. It will take a little planning on which direction to travel to  coincide with the ferry schedule. You can also start from PALC which is a shorter truck drive from the Island. 

We are planing on doing this loop starting Jan. 17 in a counterclockwise direction any idea what the conditions are like as of late?