Trail conditions Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean

Saguenay Bill

12 hours ago, Saguenay Bill said:

Had a very interesting day today.  Went out to start my 900 ACE, first time since Thursday.  With the snow and wind we had, it started, ran for 10 secs and stalled.  Took relays out, went inside.  8 Yamaha's in corral.  6 started, two didn't.  The ones that didn't were ridden by two gals.  One gal was taking a back rest off to get at battery.  She told me it needed a boost.  I had offered to put it in garage.  She said it needed boost.  However it was turning over quite well.  With boost it wouldn't fire.  She asked me if the garage offer was still available.  There was a male and other female with her at this point, two of the 6 that had gotten started.  I told them they could use the garage as long as they would tow me, if mine didn't start after warming up relays.  We got the one Yamaha in the garage.  Other one that didn't start was determined to have more wrong with it than what they thought.  They decided to leave it here and come back tomorrow and pick it up on a trailer.  My 900 started so I was fine but the engine was full of snow.  Between 10 and 11 I went to the Trappers pelt selling show, which is an annual think here the first weekend in Jan.  Talked to the Bilodeau folks  Went to the Yamaha in the garage, started and the two gals put the 2 up back rest back on and took off for home, the Charlevoix.

By this time it's about 11:30.  The hotel has their Sunday brunch going on.    Next thing I know the new owner, 1of 3 guys, of the Delta Saguenay comes over and introduces himself to me.  He is a snowmobiler, great news, and tells me he has a Freeride and loves off trail riding.  This guy is no spring chicken, maybe their is hope for me doing the off trail stuff, NOT.   The plans are to build a new indoor swimming pool starting in May he tells me.

Then at 12 noon I decide to go for my ride.  It is starting to snow so I decide a short ride is in order.  I ride down 83 east to the cross country ski place, have lunch and get back a little after 3.  Lots of drifts and the fields are wind swept of snow.  Trails were OK except for the drifts which will be fixed by tomorrow.  Riding alone sucks for me.  

Sounds like a bunch of Florida snowmobiles to me...........

43 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

Oh NO Ray, you just jinxed yourself! LOL

If Bill chimes in here I'm sure he will point out all my problems getting my '15 800 etec started even in 20f temps that's when the phrase "Florida snowmobile" was coined

And believe me, he WAS sure to use it EVERY time it wouldn't start....:rofl:

3 hours ago, 182ray said:

If Bill chimes in here I'm sure he will point out all my problems getting my '15 800 etec started even in 20f temps that's when the phrase "Florida snowmobile" was coined

What are friends for!

LOL

GutZ

17 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Bill, Glad to here you like your 900. We have a 900 Enduro here, my wife loves it, but everyone that try’s it, enjoys the amazingly smooth engine and performance .  Regarding the starting issues, we had 2 Yamaha Vipers this morning in Quebec City that would not start. Fuel pump would cycle, both engines would sputter at times  but not start. With our Ski Doo  four strokes you never touch the gas, and these guys had never had issues other than the solenoids sticking sometimes.  Finally we started working the throttle.  If wide open nothing changed, however,  with both sleds, once we cracked the throttle about 1/3, they both fired and stayed running?  Wonder if any other owners have had to do this?  

Enjoy your 900, 

Happy Trails

RR

That is the trick I have heard with the Yamaha engines when cold.....Crack the throttle.

This morning 4 of us, Erleft the Deltaic, the Pizza man, his brother Wayne, Salt City Joe and I left the Delta around 9:30.  They got here this morning at midnight.  Rode up for lunch at Mont Ailain and then came back to the Delta.  It sarted snowing around 12 noon and by the time we got in it was quite nasty, wind blowing and the snow.  Trails were great.  Did 155 miles for the day.

12 hours ago, 182ray said:

I found out last year how to start those 800 etecs.  You have to have a regular car battery and good size jumper cables.  Do this and they'll start right up.  Booster packs don't cut it on those 800s. The 800s  make a great Florida sled.

49 minutes ago, Saguenay Bill said:

I found out last year how to start those 800 etecs.  You have to have a regular car battery and good size jumper cables.  Do this and they'll start right up.  Booster packs don't cut it on those 800s. The 800s  make a great Florida sled.

Ray, How is  your new 850  on those cold mornings?  Start up or need a jump.

1 hour ago, Saguenay Bill said:

Yeah but in Florida their groomed trails aren't very well maintained.

Yesterday we went to Auberge Eva for lunch.  All but 20 miles, of the 85 to Eva,  were fresh groomed and were first tracks, with 3 inches of fresh powder on top.  Couldn't ask for any better conditions.  Above freezing temps and rain/snow for Thursday and Friday.

Rode with Mr and Mrs dannydoo.  Did lunch at Onatichway.  Rode 367/34/328/ 467 up and came back  by 484/482/367/93/367/383/83.  Trails were super. Stopped at Tim's for a hot chocolate/coffee.  We'll see what tomorrow brings in the way of weather.

11 hours ago, Saguenay Bill said:

Rode with Mr and Mrs dannydoo.  Did lunch at Onatichway.  Rode 367/34/328/ 467 up and came back  by 484/482/367/93/367/383/83.  Trails were super. Stopped at Tim's for a hot chocolate/coffee.  We'll see what tomorrow brings in the way of weather.

:good:

Raining this morning at 8AM.  I went out for a quick 25 miles at 5:30 AM.  It was freezing rain then.  Hasn't rained since PM but calling for rain off and on during the night and til tomorrow 2PM.  Then calling for freezing temps starting at 2 PM.  Didn't see much asphalt at 4PM in parking lot here.  Trails were groomed last night  

On 1/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, Saguenay Bill said:

I put a pull start on my 800.Just start pulling it over and hit the start button,she always fires up then.

putting a pull starter on is a great idea, I had an 800 triple Pantera years ago and when it was very cold frost would prevent it from receiving the proper signal because the electric starter was turning the engine too fast, it would always start with the pull cord. 

Heading up a week from tomorrow for the week.  Looking forward to seeing many old friends and meeting some new ones.  Ride safe all.

• ckf unpinned this topic