Trail conditions Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean

Saguenay Bill

Glad to hear things are good there. We are coming to that area and decided to start from St Raymond. Drive up one day and spend the night and start the adventure the next day. Where is the best place to stay in St Raymond and leave our truck.  Our plan is to spend 4 days in LSJ area return and drop a couple people off then the rest of us head up trail 3 to the ferry across to Matane back to the crossing in Levis and back to the truck. Start with 6 and end up with 4. Going to be an adventure David. Be safe everyone.

Hi Shore,

Most people use the Roquemont.  There is another place in town, I forget the name, but the Roquemont has a large parking lot and many people use this is a start point.  We drive route 20 to Quebec City and then go back to St Raymond.  GPS likes to take you thru Trois Rivieres and then the back roads to St Ray.  Time wise about the same but I think 20 is an easier drive.  Just set your cruise control either way.

Check the ferry schedule for Matane and get info about the transport at Quebec City.  Motel Bernieres is under construction for this season but the Normandin Restaurant is across the street in the old big parking lot.  I think the transport will pick you up at the restaurant but the trail is not groomed for the last 1/4 mile.  Better yet, on your way up in the truck, stop at the Normandin and ask.  You can see it from route 20 at exit 311 I think.

Have a great ride.

Jack & Sandi

Great ride yesterday.  Very cold in the morning.  Left Delta at10 AM, took 83 east, all but 12 miles freshly groomed, to 383 split.  383 to the bridge just before Ferland has not been groomed since Friday nights snow but had been groomed just before melt down.  Trail was one sled wide with a foot of snow on both sides.  After bridge trail was again freshly groomed.  Had a great lunch in Ferland.  Got back to Delta.  Temp was -4F when we got in.  Right now it is -26F.  No black flies or mosquitoes this morning.

Current best way to get from St. Ray to Delta is 23 to 368 or stay on 23 to 83?  Not necessarily asking about current trail conditions more about best scenery and to avoid trail closures according to IMOTONEIGE.  Thanks 

I would take 23--83, stop quick in letape for gas, stop at Mont Apica for Lunch-ish, stop at Presbytere (may not be spelled right) for a coffee and to warm up, ride 83 into the Delta.

The little red part of 83 going to the Delta is passable, not groomed for 500 feet.

Later

GutZ

If I were coming today, Monday, I would take 23 to 368 to 83.  368 to 83 to the Delta was groomed last night.  If the trails are good, not pushing 8 to 12" of snow and you can go 112 miles plus before gas,mileage from St Ray to Mont Apica, don't go into L Tape, get gas and eat at Mont Apica.

3 hours ago, Ontariokid95 said:

What are the conditions of the tq3 and tq83 from Quebec City to Sagauenay? Haven’t heard much about these sections of trail this year and I am looking to take this route as I have always just taken the tq23 up 

Groomer posted this, worth a look.

http://www.sapin-dor.qc.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=40 

83 should be good the 3 not so much from what I read. 

My guess is they were/are a wet mess and riding them will just do lots of damage. East/south of the St Lawrence is very wet and maybe this is the problem there also. If that's the case they should tighten up quickly been very cold again. 

20 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

My guess is they were/are a wet mess and riding them will just do lots of damage. East/south of the St Lawrence is very wet and maybe this is the problem there also. If that's the case they should tighten up quickly been very cold again. 

Okay, I am thinking of going up there Jan 25-28.  Hoping to Loop from Quebec City, up to saguenay, across to Forestville, and back to Quebec City. 

14 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I would take 23--83, stop quick in letape for gas, stop at Mont Apica for Lunch-ish, stop at Presbytere (may not be spelled right) for a coffee and to warm up, ride 83 into the Delta.

The little red part of 83 going to the Delta is passable, not groomed for 500 feet.

Later

GutZ

What is the story on that part of 83 that is shown red?

6 hours ago, Ontariokid95 said:

Okay, I am thinking of going up there Jan 25-28.  Hoping to Loop from Quebec City, up to saguenay, across to Forestville, and back to Quebec City. 

We passed the Sheraton Four Points outside Quebec City on Sunday.   The trail there looked pretty good from the road.   

We got our first day of riding in yesterday after bailing on our Pittsburg-RDL-Maine loop due to trail flooding.   Great decision to come to Saguenay.    Left the Delta yesterday for lunch at Onatchaway and on toKM31.    Trails were in great shape. We passed a groomer on the 477 Orange trail. 93 fromPassion Quebec to KM 31 was the best we have ever seen it-no bumps.    Going to try the Pelchat trail today.  Thanks to Bill for recommending that we come up.   

2 hours ago, schooter said:

What is the story on that part of 83 that is shown red?

It's an odd stretch. 500 feet, under the powerlines, looks like a frozen swamp. 

All I can think is the landowner wants $$ for the trail passing through.

Bill may have a better explanation.

GutZ

• ckf unpinned this topic