2018 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions/Gossip/Tidbits

mikerider

200 mile loop today, lunch at St. Pamphille,  sunny start and cloudy finish, somewhat cold. Trails were all tens except for drifting in a couple fields. The mountains across the St. Lawrence were beautiful with the sun shining on them.  Very low traffic on trails. Typical of this area, I passed  6 club houses today and missed another while taking a shortcut. Briefly met up with Andyman and Steve and their group at the hotel. And speaking of the Hotel Universal, they added a few floors over the Spa, outside is done, they are still doing inside work. Can't remember the number of rooms being added, but it is substantial. 

Few pics today, including one that despite all of Quebec being under clouds this afternoon, the sun always shines on RDL.

mike

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Andyb,       I will be headed home the 20th and back sometime for a couple weeks in Feb., haven't set the dates yet. You should have good riding. Let me know if I can assist in rides or where to go around town for food etc. You will like the Universal Hotel, very large hotel with lots of amenities.  Easy trail access.

mike

18 hours ago, andyb said:

Mike we are coming up on the 20th till the 26th for the first time and staying at the Universal. When do you leave?

Andy

Hi Andy.  Welcome to QuebecRider.  I see its your first post.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1
Fix my post, I see Andy is from Quebec.

I ride solo about 50% of the time, and do not carry any extra gear. That is what I like about this area, seldom 10 miles from a road crossing or house. Monday and Tuesdays there is so little traffic I have a route where I will meet the most sleds.

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

I ride solo about 50% of the time, and do not carry any extra gear. That is what I like about this area, seldom 10 miles from a road crossing or house. Monday and Tuesdays there is so little traffic I have a route where I will meet the most sleds.

No survivor gear?

Not even an extra pack of smokes and a pint? LOL!

Mike how did the trails fair out from the rain. 

Past two days have been warm, but only rain in two days was this afternoon for about two hours in the form of drizzle and very light rain shower. Around town the snow depth went way down, but as usual out of town probably fine. We desperately need the predicted snow tonight or the trails will be hard as a brick. But so far I do not think we will have the water spots on the trails or fields. 

This afternoon it was the hot tub, Tim Horton's and SkiDoo dealer. The Arctic Cat dealer (Evasion) is now next door to the SkiDoo dealer, both located on the east end of town by the St. Lawrence, right off the 2nd RDL exit.

mike

Mike may be out at the SAQ looking for a couple of pints.  It is +11̊C (50̊ F) right now and a slight drizzle.  A little low level fog hanging over the trees on the ridge behind the hotel.  The warm temp is bad but no heavy rain yet.  The forecast is saying that it will turn colder tonight.  Freezing rain after 7 PM and then snow overnight.  We are hoping to get some riding in tomorrow.  The groomers I don't think will go out until Saturday night at best.  They will want to make sure the trails have froze again.

On the truck ride up here yesterday, the fields along route 20 had a lot of dirt showing.  This is near the river and gets wind blown so there wasn't a deep snow cover previously.

5a5913389e5e4_RDLfrontlot50F.JPG.8e23ce6896683d95e3ee8a2d41c643e4.JPG5a5913594a4de_RDLsidelotnewcontruction.JPG.f039bec2c3eb281c760e3fc4ce220d4e.JPG

Its not pretty right now.  First pic the front lot.  Second pic the side lot with the new construction over the spa.  80 new rooms going up.  The truck corral has been moved to behind the snowmobile enclosure instead of in front of it.  The enclosure is still here for the sleds.

We saw four ambitious riders head out this morning going to Matane.  We won't mention any names but we hope they make it in before the rain catches up to them.

Jack & Sandi

A quick tour around the Universal Hotel:

Indoor lake with lakeside rooms, hear the loons of the lake call and see the trout rise to flies as you drink your vin rouge on your lakeside porch.

Indoor hot tub.

Three outside hot tubs with cascading waterfalls and fire pit.

Sauna and massages in the Spa.

Bar stocked with the finest bottles of European vin.

Outdoor seating with fire pit and decorated trees. It is s'mores at Christmas.

Lobby with fireplace.

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG