2018 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions/Gossip/Tidbits

mikerider

250 miles today going west to Tourville, over to Sp Pamphile, From there started over the mountain on 571 but met someone saying its a no go. Went back to RR bed #35 and made our way east and then south to Chavellier Club on #35 and stayed on 35 to 85 to RDL. Lots of fresh groomed trails that again weren't on this morning's grooming  report. When we left the hotel this morning we took 526 east up along the St. Lawrence, the section I call the shortcut to 5 or the 'bypass'. I would avoid this for awhile. One field is now a frozen lake but may be some time before the groomer dares to trust the ice. 

A very good site for checking conditions early in the season or after a meltdown is Sledmagazine.com, hit trail conditions, then scroll down to regions like Bas St Laurent. This gives a condition listed by every club in the province, listed as red, yellow or green. Right now Chaudierre is showing almost all red.

As for RDL riding, there is good riding, lots of excellent riding (I haven't been to Rimouski so not sure about that area which is on of our favorite loops). If Lac St Jean area is better, I would go there instead due to some important trail closures in this area.

Mike

10 minutes ago, mikerider said:

250 miles today going west to Tourville, over to Sp Pamphile, From there started over the mountain on 571 but met someone saying its a no go. Went back to RR bed #35 and made our way east and then south to Chavellier Club on #35 and stayed on 35 to 85 to RDL. Lots of fresh groomed trails that again weren't on this morning's grooming  report. When we left the hotel this morning we took 526 east up along the St. Lawrence, the section I call the shortcut to 5 or the 'bypass'. I would avoid this for awhile. One field is now a frozen lake but may be some time before the groomer dares to trust the ice. 

A very good site for checking conditions early in the season or after a meltdown is Sledmagazine.com, hit trail conditions, then scroll down to regions like Bas St Laurent. This gives a condition listed by every club in the province, listed as red, yellow or green. Right now Chaudierre is showing almost all red.

As for RDL riding, there is good riding, lots of excellent riding (I haven't been to Rimouski so not sure about that area which is on of our favorite loops). If Lac St Jean area is better, I would go there instead due to some important trail closures in this area.

Mike

IMG_0059.JPG

P1163085.JPG

P1163092.JPG

P1163095A.JPG

P1163095.JPG

P1163100.JPG

P1163106.JPG

P1163114.JPG

P1163119.JPG

P1163122.JPG

P1163124.JPG

P1163127.JPG

23 hours ago, NSHM said:

Wonder if it has anything to do with throwing a stud last year.Might be a loose clamp somewhere when the front exchanger was repaired or a rub thru on a hose under the motor.

Should still be under warranty.

I can't see it being a major issue.  The oil is clean and no steam coming out the exhaust.  Hopefully it is a quick fix.  The tough part of it is finding the leak.

Jack & Sandi

Looking good Mike  and Terry.  Wish we were still there but we have to tend to business every now and then.

We made it back to CT without any mishaps.  There was a light snow thru VT and MA.  CT was still clear.   The snow came in overnight and only a couple of inches.

Jack & Sandi

Today Terry and I did my favorite loop, 5E to Rimouski, 35 S  &  W to Squatec, and 171SW to RR bed 85. Beautiful along the river before Squatec, and same along lake on 85. 250 mile day, in by 4:30.   Almost every mile on the whole trip freshly groomed. Met maybe dozen on-coming sleds all day.  5E on the power lines was smooth fast and oh so much fun, as were the rolling hills thru the fields of Rimouoski.

mike

8 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Today Terry and I did my favorite loop, 5E to Rimouski, 35 S  &  W to Squatec, and 171SW to RR bed 85. Beautiful along the river before Squatec, and same along lake on 85. 250 mile day, in by 4:30.   Almost every mile on the whole trip freshly groomed. Met maybe dozen on-coming sleds all day.  5E on the power lines was smooth fast and oh so much fun, as were the rolling hills thru the fields of Rimouoski.

mike

Great day!

P1173129.JPG

P1173134.JPG

P1173134A.JPG

P1173135.JPG

P1173141.JPG

P1173144.JPG

P1173149.JPG

P1173153.JPG

P1173153A.JPG

P1173156.JPG

P1173156A.JPG

P1173163.JPG

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

mike

Looks like the trails are shaping up nicely. Friday can't come soon enough for me !!

As I understand it, when you check in to the Universel Hotel, you can chose the package  deal. With that they include breakfast and dinner. pay for one beer  and second is half price, and a ten dollar gift certificate for anything at the hotel.  This is all per night, every night you are there. So beer and ten dollars are coupons that are given for every night. I don't do the package, I like to hit La Cage Au Sports for supper, a short drive, and Levesque Hotel for very fine dining. Another tidbit,  usually the hotel is only booked on weekends if there is a hockey tournament. Thus I try to arrive on Sundays with no reservations, and get on a waiting list for the coming weekend. Also, if the hotel is booked, you can still get a room thru hotel discount sites, more rooms become available closer to the date you arrive.

34 minutes ago, EastMark said:

Great updates as always from everyone. Looks like they are dialing in the trails !

Last year I got the FQMC app. Sounds like the sledmagazine updates make it unneccasary ?

Ride safe everyone and enjoy. Looks great already.

The two serve different purposes.  The FCMQ app updates grooming in real time.   Sled Magazine rates the trail condition.    It is only updated a few times a week.   When riding we check the app every morning to plan our route based upon what has been groomed.    

Just over 300 miles today, #5W and dropped down to 35 at Tourville, W to below Monmagny, dropped down to 55E to St. Pamphille. Most places that had trail closures are now open. Small section of 35 not groomed due to thin snow, and below Montmagny thin but adequate snow. Few short ice patches or frozen slush patches. All in all most was nicely groomed.

mike

6 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Just over 300 miles today, #5W and dropped down to 35 at Tourville, W to below Monmagny, dropped down to 55E to St. Pamphille. Most places that had trail closures are now open. Small section of 35 not groomed due to thin snow, and below Montmagny thin but adequate snow. Few short ice patches or frozen slush patches. All in all most was nicely groomed.

mike

P1183167.JPG

P1183171.JPG

P1183175.JPG

P1183176.JPG

P1183181.JPG

P1183181a.JPG

P1183187.JPG

P1183188.JPG

Because the hotel is not an advertiser on QR, I will no longer be posting information about the hotel. I will still post trail conditions, trail rides and things to do in the area.

Should the owner of QR decide to contact the hotel about this, I would be happy to do my part and help get them on board.

mike

Very sad to part ways with Mike today. I tried to get him to come...Really nice ride over here to Amqui. Got here around 2 and went out for a 50 mile loop. 

Jack and Sandy, I had a great time riding and hanging with you guys. Really hope our paths cross again this season!!

Lets see if I can get pictures to load from an iPad...

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG