2018 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions/Gossip/Tidbits

mikerider

I like your term 'Radical Sabbatical"1   I hoping to get up for almost two weeks early in February, but being retired, I will only go if the long range forecast looks good. 

No more going because my vacation says I have to go. lol     Would be great to see you.

On 1/20/2018 at 8:56 PM, SnowCrazed said:

Amqui to RDL and back in the USA!!! Left Amqui early this morning and the plan was to see the snow trees on this trip then back to RDL. Riding solo way out in that no man's land (587), in near white out conditions at times (thank goodness for GPS), got to my head and I decided I wanted to be on a blue trail! I probably should have stuck to green and club trails because the traffic+temps+fresh snow = loads of bumps on trail 5. No big deal, the Axys just eats that junk right up!! ;-)

I have to say, I was both happy and sad to get back to RDL. Time to start dreaming about the next trip!

P1203215.jpg

P1203216.JPG

P1203218.JPG

P1203219.JPG

P1203228.JPG

P1203231.JPG

P1203232.JPG

P1203236.JPG

P1203241.JPG

P1203242.jpg

Nice color combo on that sled Terry

On 1/22/2018 at 5:00 PM, Js12ren said:

Hey Jim how are you and Gemma doing? Jami and I are planning a Gaspe trip the beginning of March. We are also thinking a Temiscaming trip mid Feb. Just like Mike we just retired and will be planning trips on a whim. 

Hi Joe,

Congratulations on the retirement. I think we are going the the Gaspe in early March as well. I usually wait to see snow conditions before making final plans.  We have had to change them a few times.

The west trails are nice you should enjoy the Temiscaming trip.  We will be watching for your posts.

Made reservations to go back to RDL, arrive Friday, Feb. 2nd, staying at least til Sunday, Feb. 11th, possibly longer.

Those who have been in touch about coming up, I would be glad to have you join me or at least drink some Belgian Moon together.

mike

Arrived in RDL, room 133, and I think my phone actually works this trip, first time in a year. (207-522-2673). 

Snow does not appear to be nearly as deep as previous years but still looks like good conditions from what I saw driving up via Houlton/New Brunswick. Very cold out. Hotel looks packed.

mike

Today was butally cold and was happy to find out JAK had arrived. We made the St Pamphile loop and took 571 over the mountain by the St P club house. Ate off 571  at the place on thge lake, cozy spot. All trails except 35 RR bed were smooth, the bed a little choppy. We found the snow depth much lower than normal but fine. Trails are also somewhat hard, like maybe a brief rain shower receently (???), but overall the going was very nice. Saw what looked like a wolf cross the trail in front of me. We then watched him in a clearing. We both felt strongly it was a wolf, way bigger than a coyote. I had always heard there were no wolves below the St. Lawrence, maybe someone from Quebec can clarify this. Did get a picture of his paw print.

mike

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

11 hours ago, mikerider said:

HI Gary,                   Are you and Pat now at the delta. And of course the million dollar question, is Pat riding a Cat again this year?

mike

Hi Mike no we arive  at the delta Thursday  afternoon,  and are there till the 22nd.    And yes pats  riding  the cat again , she absolutely  love' that sled.

6 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Today was butally cold and was happy to find out JAK had arrived. We made the St Pamphile loop and took 571 over the mountain by the St P club house. Ate off 571  at the place on thge lake, cozy spot. All trails except 35 RR bed were smooth, the bed a little choppy. We found the snow depth much lower than normal but fine. Trails are also somewhat hard, like maybe a brief rain shower receently (???), but overall the going was very nice. Saw what looked like a wolf cross the trail in front of me. We then watched him in a clearing. We both felt strongly it was a wolf, way bigger than a coyote. I had always heard there were no wolves below the St. Lawrence, maybe someone from Quebec can clarify this. Did get a picture of his paw print.

mike

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Looks good mike .  there's 3 guys that I call the replacements there tonite.  I told them what room ur in . good people  . glad your back at the office , How many more day till the big one ?

Have a great time Pat and Gary, you always do! 

Well Eddie, last Tuesday night was the big one if you are talking work. So now I am not here on vacation, I just told the wife I was stepping out for a couple weeks to pick up the newspaper. BTW, wearing the sweat shirt as I type!!!    AND, ate an extra large order of the S & P wings last night. You have totally corrupted me. Next thing you know I will be going to that place down the street that doesn't exist.

mike

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

mike

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

I have seen a lot of coy dogs in my time ( have quite a few where I live) and it was much too large for a coy dog or coyote. Beautiful animal really, looked very healthy. BTW, we watched this animal for a maybe a minute, it wasn't like we just caught a glimpse of it. Tracks were huge, picture does not do it justice.

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

mike

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Mike, got a question for you......how many vinos / blue moons last night??? I think you might need to ease into this retirement buddy. That 'wolf' was probably just a neighborhood house cat that looked bigger at a distance! Congrats on your new life, and remember to bring a newspaper with you when you return home! Ride safe and have fun, will be looking for daily reports.         Terry

Mike, I saw a wolf in New Brunswick a few years ago but never in the BSL or Gaspe. I did see a coyote on our last trip near Carlton. The real question is, did the hair on the back of your neck stand up? If the answer is yes then it was a wolf if not it was a coyote