2018 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions/Gossip/Tidbits

mikerider

Jack, 

We may be stopping at the universal on monday, to pick up our truck. Probably just a quick in and out so we can begin our drive home. Too bad, you and Sandy will be out enjoying the trails.

I really want to see the new beaver paws in person. Maybe next year. Enjoy yourselves.

Jeff and Sandy 

We just arrived at RDL.  The truck enclosure is FULL!  Smaller truck trailer units in the parking lots.

On the drive up in the truck there wasn't much snow cover from the US border all the way up to Drummondville.  The snow was a little hit or miss after Drummondville and about half way to Quebec the snow got noticeably deeper along the edge of the highway.  By the time we got to Quebec it was looking real good.  Here at RDL there is a lot of snow.  We spoke with two groups just coming back from Gaspe and they said it was wonderful.  Looking at the posts on the Gaspe section GtRider and others are saying the riding is great.

We are here for three days, Sat, Sun and Mon.  Hope to see a few people while we are here.  We will post after our ride tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

Jack

I am driving up on Sunday to ride for a few days or a week. Coming by myself. Question is sounds like the hotel is busy. Do you think I should call tomorrow to get a room for Sunday night. Or do you think I should look else where.

Hi George,

I just asked the front desk about Sunday and they said they have rooms available.  If you are sure you are coming, it wouldn't hurt and then you may be able to get ground floor if that is what you like.

Jack & Sandi

Ok thanks so much. I will call them tomorrow for sure. Thanks again. 

This morning we go down to breakfast and look out at the low lying clouds on the ridge.  It is -3̊  C.  The cars and sleds are covered with dew.  Not a good sign but it is March.  After breakfast we load up and take off.  The game plan is to head to and make a loop back.

We work our way out of RDL and at Les Adventuriers we turn right on 5.  All good.  The trails have been groomed and no rain.  We turn left on the little connector to trail 526 and cruise to Les Explorateurs.  Cross the road and get on 35 the rail bed.  This had some attention last night also.  Things are coming together pretty good.  Sit back and run the rails all the way to Tourville.  A little choppy in some of the corners but very nice.  Too early for lunch at Tourville so we take a break with a couple of coffees.  The sleds are starting to roll in here.  Smile for the camera Sandi.

5a9b33df9de34_TourvilleSandi.thumb.JPG.22937ceaee03e8a5fd3f6c1d63d1e0f6.JPG

After our coffee break, we head south on 55.  Stop at St Pamphile for gas and head back on 557. 

A stop at Auberge du Lac de L'Est sounds good for lunch.  557 is good.  We take the spur down to the Lac and oh oh!  No more building.  Fire!

I'm having problems uploading the pics.  I'll finish later with the pics.

For now, today's ride was good.  The snow is getting thin near the St Lawrence but still fine up in elevation and in the woods.

To be continued.

Jack & Sandi

Jack

How is the trail getting into the hotel? Do you think that will hold up for a couple more days? 

10 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Jack

How is the trail getting into the hotel? Do you think that will hold up for a couple more days? 

That is where the trails show some thinning.  There are only a few spots but it gives an indication that the snow depth is going away.  It is still OK but a rainy day or warm temps and the bare spots will grow.  The forecast from MeteoMedia is for highs around freezing and 5-10 cm of snow over Wednesday and Thursday.  Next week a little cooler a more snow.  I wouldn't cancel if it was my decision.

Jack & Sandi

Lets try posting a pic of Tourville and see if this is working this morning.

5a9bd38b17ac1_Tourvillesleds.thumb.JPG.7a517bb2b61f3bf31cb46aad75450797.JPG

Yes its working.

OK.  A pic of the gas station in St Pamphile at lunchtime on a Saturday.  I wonder how many liters they pump in a day?

IMG_1043.thumb.JPG.14dfc1041c7b2e791e07177e57b96a7f.JPG

We used to run up the side of the road to get here but now there is a spur trail that runs behind the buildings on the opposite side of the road from the gas station and crosses the road to the station.

Back to Auberge du Lac de L'Est fire.  We take the short spur to the lac.  There are snowmobile tracks on the road and we come around the corner and the building is gone!  It takes a minute to sink in.  Yes we are in the right spot.  There is the sign but no structure.

5a9bd474c4292_LacdeLEstAubergesign.thumb.JPG.bc7b00c7da697a1444707ffe06fe7815.JPG

You can see the steel fire stairs on the right in the pic below.

5a9bd4a090d72_LacdeLEstfire.thumb.JPG.b06d7d47cb31f9b3fc656d929183cfbb.JPG

5a9bd4e6b0684_LacdeLEstfirecloseup.thumb.JPG.cd667ed039681c721c370a8ac2aaba1c.JPG

I remember too many of these structure fires over the years.  Nice buildings on the edge of a lake or out in the woods but no fire department near by.  We are spoiled in the States and forget how fortunate we are.  The town we live in, Enfield CT, is about thirty square miles and has seven fire department buildings.

No lunch here.  It probably wouldn't hurt to forego a cheeseburger with fries.

Back on 557 up and over the hill.  We get on 35 for a few miles and then left staying on 557.  We pop up at the back of Club Belles Pistes.  Oh that sandwich is still calling me.  OK time for a break.  Mid afternoon so it isn't too busy here.  A smoked meat sandwich with a big pile of fries.  Oh my doctor would see the cholesterol numbers going up!  But it is sooo good.

We get on 5 and head towards RDL.  At 561 we decide to take a detour.  We always stay on 5 like most everyone else but we are early and turn left on 561 heading towards St Alexandre.  We turn right on the yellow trails and run over to St Antonin and get back on 5.  Nice trails and fresh groomed.  A little narrow in spots and in the fields you can see the thinning of the snow where it had been wind blown over the winter.  One river crossing near St Anonin that was a little too wet.  The trail is rerouted crossing the river via the auto bridge but it squeezes under the bridge and the right side of the trail drops off down to the river.  Not a lot of room for error here.  Sandi is not happy.  Lean in and and get around the bridge abutment.

The rest of the ride back to the Universal is good.  Like I posted above, the last part of the ride thru the flats and in town is showing some thinning.  A little snow would cover this up.

Sunday we head out again.  Not sure where yet.  Lets look at the map and see what has been groomed.  I want to take 35 between Rimouski and Squatec but it hasn't shown groomed in a while.  Maybe that is one of the groomers that isn't getting picked up by the website?

Until later, happy trails.

Jack & Sandi

14 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Jack

Two years ago Jackstraw and I ran mostly dirt and rocks from clubhouse to the Universal, it was April 6. Just enough to not overheat last run we didn’t care.

"Sandi, what time is breakfast?"

"7:00 AM Jack."

"OK."

"I'm staying in bed for the extra 30 minutes." Sandi says.

We go to breakfast for 7:05.  Some people are already heading back to their room.  "Boy they ate fast." I think to myself.  We sit down and I happen to ask the waitress, "What time did you open today?"

She answers "6:30 AM everyday."

Hmm!  I think I just got snickered.  Sandi got in an extra 30 minutes of sleep time.

OK.  Today looks better.  It is cloudy but not the low, foggy stuff like yesterday.  As always, a quick check of the groomer map and it shows trail 5 to Rimouski is green.  A good start but the return trip should be 35 and that is still white?  This section of 35 hasn't shown green in many days.  Is the groomer broke, is there open water?  Lets give it a try anyways.

5 East here we come.  This is the first time this year for us on this part of 5.  The first part of 5 near RDL is a little sugar snow.  The warm temps are having an affect.  Cruising along.  A few sleds.  A quick stop at Relais Trois Pistoles.  Sometimes groomers have problems.  Oops!

5a9ca251841c2_TroisPistolesgroomer.thumb.JPG.a309c14d77b3b35b7753537e276ae7ec.JPG

We also saw this comfy coach for the kids.  Look at the suspension travel on those shocks.  The family is out for a Sunday brunch at the relais.

5a9ca3aa03f3d_TroisPistolesskiboose.thumb.JPG.80ae14e887e10a01f0cd08a0c08a30c3.JPG

Back on the trail.  Oh wow!  Were those windmills here last year?  There are quite a few of them.

5a9ca56018e83_StEugenewindmillnearRelaisLEtang.thumb.JPG.cf9f90fe402b0bb5b2464d6d26162ce6.JPG

We have to stop at Relais L'Etang.  Too early for lunch but not too early for another coffee.  Quiet here now but the workers are getting ready for lunch.  This place will be wall to wall people in an hour.  Back on the trail to Rimouski.  We get on 35 at its debut.  A few miles in, just past the junction with 5 is a good gas stop just to the right of the trail.  Now, is this section of 35 groomed?  This is the section that hasn't shown groomed in a while.  Boy is the groomer map wrong!  This is fine.  Maybe everyone is avoiding this because of the map.  Lets go, we have the trail to ourselves.  No traffic.  Everyone else is up on trail 5.

This section of 35 is one of our favorites.  It is not extremely fast nor is it up high in elevation with beautiful vistas.  It is just a simple wonderful trail with rolling hills and gentle turns that you just ride and enjoy the trail for what it is.  Sandi likes this so much, lunch is getting postponed.  We get to Squatec, time for lunch?  Nope not yet.  The trails are too good.  We turn right on 571.  Another good choice.  Finally in St Rita Sandi is ready getting hungry.  Me too.

There is a little restaurant here on the lake, Domaine du Refuge Basque.  Nothing fancy.  They speak a little more English than my horrible French and the food is straight forward and good.

After lunch it is 544 to the short local 44 to 85.  After Les Aventuriers clubhouse, the trail is showing the wear.  Still very passable but nothing like the snow depth up in the hills.  Most of the day the trail had a fluffy, powder coating of snow.  Here the snow is wet and heavy.  It feels like the leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving under the sled.

We are back at the hotel after another great day of riding the fantastic Quebec snowmobile trails.

One more day to ride and then I'm afraid to say but, it is the last day for us for this season.

Jack & Sandi

Great update ! Thanks for the details. Curious, Do you and Sandi do all inclusive eats or keep it seperate Jack ?

In watching news there, Is this Noreaster in Maine Thursday expected to clip RDL too .?  Hoping ! We roll in Sat afternoon.

Hi Mark,

I would say most of the time we do the breakfast package.  Sometimes we include supper but usually not.  We put on too many pounds with the Table d'Hote supper.

Earlier this year included with the complete package (breakfast and supper) you also received a $10 coupon per day per person that you could spend at the bar, restaurant or spa.  If you didn't use it , you loose it.  A nice incentive.

The weather forecast shows the storm touching RDL Thrusday and Friday.

Jack & Sandi

A late post for yesterday.  Our last day on the sleds.

We leave RDL and take 85 south.  So smooth with only a little bit of chatter.  We stop in Cabano for gas and continue south on 85 to Degelis.  Here we turn left onto 571 and work our way up the east side of Lac Temiscouata.  We haven't been on 571 before and it is a nice wide trail.  Looks like it is on logging roads or roads that are closed for the winter.  A few maple sap farms along the way.

We stop in Squatec for lunch.  While we are waiting for the food, in comes Oilman and his brother.  They are also out enjoying the day.  It is good to see you guys.

After lunch we head back to RDL in the same fashion as yesterday.  571 north, 544 to 85 and in to the Universal.

Sorry for the short post but we are loading up the truck and heading back to CT.

For those of you on Gaspe, keep an eye on the weather.  It looks like some snow coming in this week and next.  Good for the trails and bad if it blows around and drifts.

Happy trails.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

Jack have a good summer. Sorry I didn't get up to meet you guys in person. Kids of mine changing plans from one week to another and one in north Carolina trying to get a project finished so he can fly up. Maybe another year we can meet. So have a great summer and keep up with news on the new ride for Sandi. I'm thinking about spring checking one for the boys mother to ride and me too if needed.  That 600 is very interesting.  Be safe.

Day 1:  Drive up to Jackman Saturday morning March 3 and off loaded sleds at the clubhouse. Left there around noon. Trail to Boarder in good shape. Plenty of Snow. Head towards Saint George and trail got real thin. Lots of dirt and snirt, especially on exposing hills. Riding still good as it was flat, no problem. Make our way to Beauceville to have a beer. Big event going on. Drag races with all types of sleds and ages. Leave there and head north on 75 to 35 East. As we get further north and east of Beauceville the snow gets better. Head east on 35 and take 547 south through the mountains headed to Lac Etchemin. Mid winter conditions with plenty of snow. Get room at the Manior. 168 miles

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_8991.jpeg

Day 2:  Head out of Lac Etchemin Sunday the 4th. Take 55 East to 549 north to 35 west to 547 north to 5 east. All trails were freshly groomed and good snow cover. We head toward Montmagny and trails are 8-10. Near the river trails got a little thin and slushy, but still ok. We head out and east for Rivere de Loup. Take trail 5 East to 559 north to orange trail and come in the back side of town. Great run. Thanks Mikerider "as I did that trail with him". Shoo, don't say anything. 215 miles and we are at the Universal. Great day!

IMG_3464.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG

Day 3:  Leave the Universal Monday the 5 th to do a day trip loop. Take 5 East out to Rimouski and jump onto 35 west. As Revct1 said the report showed this trail had not been groomed for a few days. Trail was mint. Head down trail toward Squatec to have lunch. Who do we see, of course Jack & Sandi. After a few tips on trail situation from Jack and after we have a great lunch. 571 south we go. Here again trail is mint and we have the trail to ourselves all the way down to Degelis on 85. Take the railroad bed north and stop at the Rivere de loup club house and have a beer. What a great ride and loop. Back to hotel. 252 miles. 

Day 4:  Have breakfast at the universal at 7:00 and say good bye to Jack, Sandi and Mike. Thanks for the talk and memories. After we take off 85 south to 544 south and west. Again trails are 8-10. Take 544 to 35 west. We go beyond the lake and hit 35 east of lake. Trail was freshly groomed for 20 miles. First on the trail, that's always nice. Take 35 west to 557 south. Trail is fast and flat. Making real good time. We have lunch in Saint Pamphile at the relais du club de golf. Nice place of the golf course. Take 55 west to 551 south to Daaquam and stoped for a beer. Take 547 west back to 55 west. Still early so we stop at the club house on the corner of 55 and 547. Have another beve, and had North on 547. In the power lines we had West on orange trail to 545 south. Trails are all in great condition 9-10. We hit 55 again and go east for a mile or so and check in again in Lac Etchemin. 238 miles. 

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG