2018 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions/Gossip/Tidbits

mikerider

Appears we only got a couple inches out of this storm, although hard to tell the wind blew so hard. 

I did not ride yesterday and not sure about today. Still haven't any energy from the flu a week ago although I feel fine. Couple days ago getting out of the hotel was fine. The couple snirty spots were small and there was grass underneath. And the couple icy spots were just near town. Lots of sleds have been coming and going from the hotel past few days. This morning is dark and cloudy with calls for a couple inches of snow today and this evening.

mike

They didnt blink on the cancellation. No problem. Great hotel.

First thing my wife said Mike was about giving up the room with a hot tub for after riding. lol.

Biggest snowfall all year yesterday statewide too. Wish temps were lower but like RDL its just a few degrees below freezing at night the next week. March is always fickled. With work I dont get a chance to ride 4 days straight ever, so the extra day riding with new snow vs alot more driving was the game changer. We loved the riding up there too much last year to not be back next year...longer stay maybe.

Where as Maine got clobbered with snow, you have made a good decision. The drive to RDL is long and just plain sucks for a short stay.  Retirement is the only answer!  But ooooh that hot tub after riding.

Did a quick 100 mile ride. Saw from 3 to 8 inches of new snow. It is warm out but trails were mostly good.

Saw another Caboose, this one had like a little spinner on top, sort of like a wind mill, and just parked the breeze was making it spin. Any guesses what it is for. I haven't a clue.

mike

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

14 hours ago, mikerider said:

That is too cool!   Wait to Trailblazer and RoadRunner see that. They could put enough gas and spare parts in that and go off for a year of back country.

Mike R, I think that just might work, we would have to verify that it has a mini wine cellar option, if so it’s sold!😉

36 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Mike R, I think that just might work, we would have to verify that it has a mini wine cellar option, if so it’s sold!😉

It is an option. This model had a small bar, leather seating for 8 and a wood burning fireplace. There was a odd brass pole in the center which I assume was to help support the roof under snow load. Supposedly stable at speeds up to 60mph 

7 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

It is an option. This model had a small bar, leather seating for 8 and a wood burning fireplace. There was a odd brass pole in the center which I assume was to help support the roof under snow load. Supposedly stable at speeds up to 60mph 

Yes snow load support is a must in Quebec! Haha

Hit some mix and a few tough trails in Maine Saturday. Shoulda made the drive up to RDL.

Anyone ride Saturday up there ? We are contemplating driving up early Sunday if trails are great....and theres a room there.

We live and learn. ;-). Meantime we had a great time taking a rough 165 mile ride yesterday with some great freinds. Worth it.

I didn't go out yesterday but heard the trails were nice.  Area has picked us several inches past few days including another couple overnight, so the trails may be soft. They were Friday but were smooth.

You can't go wrong riding out of RDL. Will be way better then anything in Maine has to offer except maybe the County no matter how much snow has fallen. The traffic gets distributed a lot better with a lot of different directions to go. I can't imagine that the trails will not be in good conditions. I was up there 4-5 days ago and all was flat and well groomed. The weather forecast looks like it will be cold enough for the next week or more for conditions to remain good. Looks like more Snow Tue-wed. It's definitely well worth the drive. Check in again with Mikerider, but should be all mint.

I hope you are in RDL EastMark.  I just looked at the groomer map and wow!  It looks like all of the groomers have been out over the weekend.  :good:

You won't be disappointed.  I wish we were there.

Jack & Sandi

Still looks good Mike like I expected. Great pics and updates. I am in Florida now 80 degrees in  Winterhaven . Looking to go back up prolly around March 22.  Sled out of Caribou this time and head that way. Long range looks good for temps to hold and more snow for the next 2 weeks. Will see when I get back up to Maine. Glad your haveing a good retirement!!

Great to have you here, mark.  If I had to guess, trail 5 east had a lot of traffic today, people headed for the Gaspe.. Might still be rough tomorrow, check groomer report in morning.  5 west is usually good on Mondays,  I take a right at top of hill  onto 526, thru the 2 tunnels and then keep bearing left for 25 miles  (don't make left at sign for a bar) until you meet trail 5 , 5 west to club with covered bridge and gas pump. Then green trail by this club down to 35 west, then left to St. Phamphile-100 miles.   Or, Trail 544 below RDL clubhouse was fantastic late this afternoon all the way south to Chevellier Club house. Then come back 35 west to Explorers club house and start doing local trails to add mileage. Third loop tomorrow could be 85 south past RDL club, first left on RR bed 85 and check map, get to St Cyprien and then to Squatec, lunch in Squatec and 35 back to 85/35 to Chevellier Club on 35.. You probably know your way around pretty good by now but wanted to put out suggestions. Have fun.  Squatec loop one of my favorites.