2018 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions/Gossip/Tidbits

mikerider

Hi Bill the Oilman,

Once again it was good to see you and meet brother Dave.  For the most part, the trails are really good.  Only down near the river do they get a little thin and slushy.  The forecast is looking good for those of you that can still get in another ride.

Take care Bill and Dave and we will see you next season.

Jack & Sandi

On 3/6/2018 at 10:09 AM, Shore1066 said:

Jack have a good summer. Sorry I didn't get up to meet you guys in person. Kids of mine changing plans from one week to another and one in north Carolina trying to get a project finished so he can fly up. Maybe another year we can meet. So have a great summer and keep up with news on the new ride for Sandi. I'm thinking about spring checking one for the boys mother to ride and me too if needed.  That 600 is very interesting.  Be safe.

Hi George,

We were looking for you.  As long as nothing bad happened to make you change plans that is fine.  Sandi is opting for the 600R in the MXZ.  I think that is going to be a fun sled.  A lighter front end than her 1200 so I'm going to have to pay attention keeping up with her.  See you next season.

Jack & Sandi

Wow. Looks nice Mike. Save some for us. ;-)

It seems most everythings great. If there is any stretches we might skip let us know. Jack mentioned some of the trails “near the river” were somewhat slushy but good...so we will likely stay up away front riverfront trails some.

Likely do Rimouski way loop one day, St Pamphile way loop one day, and something looping eastward one day, like last year !

Snow day here tomorrow in Maine, so perfect day to pack !

29 minutes ago, Mainerenegade said:

Thanks for the report trying to figure out to go up or not.

I know. With a foot and a half of snow today in Maine, its tempting to ride right up in the county here this weekend.

Whats the cancelation policy anyway ?

Hi Mark,     I did not go out today. You might be right, if Maine got clobbered it would save you a lot of driving if you are only riding for a couple days. I have heard the Universel has a very liberal cancellation policy but am not sure what it is. I believe I heard the night before works okay. Maybe their website?

4 hours ago, mikerider said:

So what is this? At first I thought a battery perhaps to run a heater inside the caboose. But the antennae has me baffled. Maybe satellite wi-fi for the kids, download movies on the go?

Likely hooked to a cell phone booster for a Hot Spot, so the kids can have wi fi in the caboose!  LOL

4 hours ago, mikerider said:

Re cancellations -

I cancelled two weeks ago during that Sunday storm when I got to Montmagny and didn’t want to drive the last 80 miles.  At 8PM!!

They have always been good with that.

GW

Tough call with this snowstorm here. Temps are at/slightly below freezing day/nite. Millinocket\RDL is almost identical borderline temps these 4 days. Actually just slightly lower at nite in Milli.

This is a good dilema. No idea what to do though. LOL. More time to ride if I stay in Maine. We could get in a extra ride Sat instead of drive. Also riding Sun-Wed traffic would be a breeze those days even in Maine.

My heads spinning....  

Well...thought we would be driving up and see you in the bar Saturday nite Mike but we pulled the plug. We got a ton of snow yesterday-today statewide. Over 15” here. Alot more some areas. And its nice packable snow not fluff. Who’d have expected that 2 days before leaving Maine to sled.

So we will stay in Carrabassett Fri-Sat then Lake Parlin-Jackman or Milli or Patten Sun-Wed. Hardly any driving, more riding.

Was looking forward to riding those trails but had to call an audible. Next year for sure. This cant happen twice. :-)

My best guess is that it will be fine. It was good when I went out yesterday, have picked up a few inches today, and this evening it snows hard one minute and slows the next. It looks like full on winter. I didn't go out today as I am still feeling not much energy from last week;s flu. I think it will be very good riding, you just need to decide if Maine got a great dump and you want to drive less or farther.  My ride yesterday had great conditions.

mike