to get to RDL

doo4adoo

I used to often park at the Beauceville club house (just east of St. George) and ride to RDL. Never had a problem leaving my truck there and it is a popular parking spot, although not secure. Have parked there probably a couple dozen times from a couple days to several days. If you decide on this, I'll give you the trail#s.

mike

We, as in my son and I stay at the Econo lodge in  Montmany. Never had a problem. Stay one night you get free truck parking for 3  nights. Nice ride to RDL on 35, 55 or 5. Trails are good and fast and scenic. Be safe and enjoy.

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

I used to often park at the Beauceville club house (just east of St. George) and ride to RDL. Never had a problem leaving my truck there and it is a popular parking spot, although not secure. Have parked there probably a couple dozen times from a couple days to several days. If you decide on this, I'll give you the trail#s.

mike

We have done the same as Mike many times without an issue.  We had two riders on our trip last week to RDL,  meet up with us and leave their vehicle there. It’s easy to get too, not lots of traffic around, and you are ready to head east on the trail 55 which is a typically great trail all the way to tourville, 200 ish mile ride depending on the route up you take to RDL

Enjoy your ride 

RR

Hi Mike,

Two good recommendations for Beauceville.  RR beat me to the enter key.  Route 20 to route 73 by truck.

You are coming from Ottawa so you are already on  route 20, I would say either like Shore says, Montmagny, which is 150 miles from RDL or I was thinking Levis which will be more like 200 miles depending on which trails you take.  We used Motel Bernieres in St Nicholas in the past but the hotel is closed this year for renovations.

There is  a link here http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5058-levis-accommodations-trails-end/ with info for Levis.  Depending on where you are staying and how long of a day you want, trail 5 has the most traffic check the groomer map, 35 is the rail bed hold on and 55 is a little less traveled but very nice.  The groomer map will help you decide.

Jack & Sandi

X2 on Bernieres but too bad it’s closed this season, 1/2 hour more you’re in Beauceville. Mikerider has got some good trail tips to get you into RDL. 

Neksledr and I made it to La Bernieres by lunch time from the Universal in RDL. One gas stop, one popo stop.

1 minute ago, Trailblazer said:

X2 on Bernieres but too bad it’s closed this season, 1/2 hour more you’re in Beauceville. Mikerider has got some good trail tips to get you into RDL. 

Neksledr and I made it to La Bernieres by lunch time from the Universal in RDL. One gas stop, one popo stop.

Correction on that JG, I made it, I believe you were 100yds back pouring fuel into your tank!

Haven't unpacked my maps yet so can't remember the trail numbers, but south of Montmagny is a really nice mountain, groomed to the top with a lookout tower.

Going east, trail 35 is a RR bed that goes forever. Trail #5 is fairly nice, look at the map, about 30 miles before RDL, leave #5 and make the loop up by the St. Lawrence, it eventually turns into #526 and goes right by the Universal. My favorite is #55 to St. Pamphille,, then the short trail to #35, at end of RR bed is a club house, jump on 526 N to RDL. Or, when you get to the St. Pamphille club house (golf course), take the more southerly green trail to the RR bed #35. This goes over a mountain and there is a newer restaurant about 20 miles past the St. Pamphille club that is on a lake and has great food. 

mike

Hi Doo4aDoo Mike,

I'll take back what I said about leaving your truck at Levis.  Sandi and I stopped in the truck yesterday on our way to RDL to fuel up and check it out.  Everything is right off the highway at the end of the exit, Comfort Inn, Econo Lodge, Normandin, are on the south side of the route 20 where the trail is and L'Oiseliere and Four Points are on the north side where the trail is not.

Comfort Inn and Econo Lodge do not have very big parking lots.  You would have to ask about leaving your rig.  To cross the highway here would be difficult to say the least.  It is busy and no shoulder.

I change my vote to Beauceville or Montmagny.  Levis would be a good stop with the sled but not with the truck from what we could see.

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

Hi Doo4aDoo Mike,

I'll take back what I said about leaving your truck at Levis.  Sandi and I stopped in the truck yesterday on our way to RDL to fuel up and check it out.  Everything is right off the highway at the end of the exit, Comfort Inn, Econo Lodge, Normandin, are on the south side of the route 20 where the trail is and L'Oiseliere and Four Points are on the north side where the trail is not.

Comfort Inn and Econo Lodge do not have very big parking lots.  You would have to ask about leaving your rig.  To cross the highway here would be difficult to say the least.  It is busy and no shoulder.

I change my vote to Beauceville or Montmagny.  Levis would be a good stop with the sled but not with the truck from what we could see.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks for the on the ground updated info!

Beauceville Clubhouse is a great starting point. Although it isn't "secure" (gated, fenced/locked up) Mike, I and many others have left our rigs there many, many times without incident. (and I have never heard of any issues there - ever) I believe someone is there 24x7 and the HUGE lot is lit. We unload, go inside, get dressed, and grab something to eat before heading out. It is also right at the junction of 55 N/S, 75 N/S.

I like to support these clubhouses because when they close, it hurts all of us.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 8:28 PM, mikerider said:

Haven't unpacked my maps yet so can't remember the trail numbers, but south of Montmagny is a really nice mountain, groomed to the top with a lookout tower.

Going east, trail 35 is a RR bed that goes forever. Trail #5 is fairly nice, look at the map, about 30 miles before RDL, leave #5 and make the loop up by the St. Lawrence, it eventually turns into #526 and goes right by the Universal. My favorite is #55 to St. Pamphille,, then the short trail to #35, at end of RR bed is a club house, jump on 526 N to RDL. Or, when you get to the St. Pamphille club house (golf course), take the more southerly green trail to the RR bed #35. This goes over a mountain and there is a newer restaurant about 20 miles past the St. Pamphille club that is on a lake and has great food. 

mike

is that the top of the ski area on 547 or is there another mountain you can go up?    

As I recall there is a ski area nearby that the trail goes through, but I am not sure if the same mountain. The trail that goes up the mountain, you do not see the ski area at all, and there is a viewing platform with stairs that you walk up to the top. The map for that area may be in my truck, will look if I get a chance.

mike