January 11th 2018

Cnc

Just a little update,  with the rain and mild weather moving in, Diable et Rouge club is asking everyone to refrain from circulating on their trails to preserve them till they announce otherwise. Hebou blanc packed trails on Tuesday and groomed them on Wednesday. They were reporting lots of snow and no base, so much so they got a drag stuck in a gully between lake Macdonald and the Laurel / station Larose junction. In fact it may still be there. No other official news from them since Wednesday night, but I would expect they will be asking sledders to refrain from circulating till it gets cold again. I expect all water crossings will be full of deep slush by Friday morning.

What a difference 24hrs makes. Yesterday 50f and rain, water everywhere running off the mountains, lower areas full of water, water running into the lakes and pooling on top of the ice. 

Today looks like a winter wonderland with a good 6-8 of new snow and still coming down. Cold about 5 above 0 f. Lakes, low lying areas and all water crossing could be slush hidden under the new snow. Diable et Rouge club officially closed all trails yesterday till further notice and I imagine Hebou blanc did the same. I imagine the new snow will slow the hardening of what is left of the base and the freezing or draining of pooled water. My lake is full of slush at this time.

IMG_0829.JPG

2 hours ago, actionjack said:

Hibou Blanc posted on FB that the groomers are having trouble with some hills but they expect to surface their whole system by end of Wednesday 

Yes one section is extremely tight and hilly for the groomer. They were getting stuck before the wet weather, no base. My Neighbour runs their groomer from Weir down to Pine Hill area. He told me he got so stuck he un hitched the drag and tore the winch off the front of the machine getting out on Wednesday night. He went back and got the drag out on Thursday. I hope they are right in their predictions on FB as parts of that trail goes through a lot of gullys and low lying areas too. 

20 hours ago, actionjack said:

Hibou Blanc posted on FB that the groomers are having trouble with some hills but they expect to surface their whole system by end of Wednesday 

I think you might find that was a post for last week January 10th. I could not find anything relating to this coming week.

last night's rescue. One of two sleds that found the slush on the trail.

IMG_0834.PNG

45 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

Snow is a great blanket of insulation, it could be a while for all this slush to refreeze, I cannot really remember the last time this happened.

It is a great insulator,  we deal with slush on our lake often as water level changes a lot. I have to cross it or another lake to get to the trail system. If we keep a well packed trail going it is ok but lose it and it will take a long time to freeze up solid.  You are right Bob, I have never seen so much water on the low lying trail sections as what they are saying is there, but having seen all the rain and rushing water Fri, well it has to be hiding somewhere 

11 minutes ago, actionjack said:

Last time was 2010 and I was between Motel Safari and Roberval. Spent the next day at the laundry in La Tuque. The day after that the trails were golden to Roberval and the rest of the the trip. 

My wife and I traveled all day in the rain from the Baskatong to Weir to get back home before we got stranded probably about that many years ago. Trails were ok, wet snow but the lakes were more water than slush about 8 in deep on the ice. Keep the speed up and don't tailgate was the only rule. It was funny to meet people on the trails wearing green garbage bags, and sleds traveling down the lakes looking more like a seadoo with a big rooster tail. 

Wednesday 17th. Hebou Blanc has closed the 317 after Kilmer to Lake Macdonald for the time being due to deep water around the shore of Lake Macdonald. All other trails are open but range from only 2 out of 5 to 1 out of 5 on Station La Rose due to lack of snow for the groomer to work with. Diable et Rouge are tight lipped about their trail conditions since the 1 th of January's closure due to the rain announcement, however the railway bed from Weir to St Remi was groomed and looked good on Tuesday. 

Edited by Cnc