Iceman Rides Again

iceman

Finally. Today was the day. I traded in my tri axel for my Apex XTX. Left the work boots and put on the snow boots. My boss had mercy on me and gave me tuesday and wednesday nights off to get back on a real sleep schedule before I went riding. It helps that both my bosses are sledders and they “get it”. 

Snohorse and his friend Louie rolled into chez Ice last night at 6pm. We got them settled in and relaxed at my house for the evening. 

This morning we broke out the hardware. Snohorse is back on te 2 stroke is a hard addiction to break. He tried to kick it with the 1200 enduro but he has relapsed. He cannot get enough of that angry nest of bee’s sound and the incredible power. His new 850 Backcountry is just what the doctor ordered. One happy camper. The thing is a beast. Louie on the other hand is sporting some old school Iron. A 06 vector and its a shorty. Man what a trooper trying to hang with us. Good Luck. We did stop and wait for him though. My new XTX is a keeper. I must say its pretty damn nice. I can feel the difference with the front end. It corners flat almost zero ski lift. It handles real good. It’s real close the setup right now it’s not gonna need much tweaking at all. It’s still breaking in so we will see how it goes. 

Left Chez Ice and headed for St Raymond caught up to Playhard and his gang just outside St Ray. Stopped and chatted a bit. Gas in St Ray and off for Mt Apica. Trails all decent not perfect by any means but acceptable. Very little traffic. Ran my sled out 13 miles from Mt Apica. She is still breaking in. Dumped in my one gallon and cruised into Apica. We took a break here only four other sleds, perfect just how I like it. Left there and headed up to 368 then 383 to 83 into Chicoutimi. At La Saguenee cause I like it here and my friend works in the restaurant. Trails decent like I said nothing perfect yet that I’ve seen. Nice first day out, no real issues and tomorrow we go for it again. 

280 miles

1 hour ago, Trailblazer said:

Nice to see you back out there Ice, looking forward to your reports.

How many miles/Klms did you get before running out?

102 miles flat. But that was up 23 full on the gas from St Ray all the way. I am sure as this was only the second tank of gas, the mileage will improve. Trail was not groomed also so lots of loose snow. 

2 hours ago, 182ray said:

Hey Ice while u r at the Saguenee talk to them about the Quebec Rider website and becoming a paid sponsor of the site

I hear a lot of this lately about talking to businesses about becoming a paid sponsor. It's all well and good but you guys are not giving any guidance as to how to go about this. As a small business owner I literally get hundreds of requests every year for donations. Each one has the potential of exposure for my business to varying degrees but I can't possibly put my name on every kids baseball,soccer or hockey shirt. I can't afford to donate to every Lion's club Fire company golf tournament but these people are from my community and are my customers so we always do our best. If you want sponsors I suggest you put together a package with info regarding who you are reaching and the costs involved otherwise any of us that go in blind won't be able to answer the first question that a business owner could ask

Click on Advertisers tab on the top of the page, that tells the cost and about the banner advertising. Any of us should be able to tell a potential customer about the advantage it could be the that client. Should they have an interest send the name to one of our three administrators, or have them sign up as a member and contact an administrator directly. 

Thank you for clarifying Steven.  The administrators have the best current correct information on advertising.  I think if the members get involved in trying to direct sell advertising, there will be varying information out there that may or may not be up to date and accurate.  I would be glad to direct a potential advertiser to an administrator but I don't want to get involved with selling advertising space or collecting money.

The other half of the conversation that has come up recently is whether we should mention establishments that we have stayed at in our posts regardless of whether the establishment is an advertiser or not.  There are only four advertisers on QuebecRider that are lodging facilities.  It would be great if there were a hundred but since there isn't, we can't all stay at only these four places.  By posting places that we have enjoyed and have been treated well I think helps everyone and maybe will bring in more advertisers.  We post where the gas stations and the restaurants are and these aren't necessarily advertisers.  Should we not tell someone where the next gas stop is going to Abitibi or Sept Iles just because they are not an advertiser?

I've always thought that Rob's vision for QuebecRider was a forum for snowmobilers to help other snowmobilers enjoy this great sport that we all love.  I also realize that it takes money to keep this site going and many of us gladly put in our $25 per year to help support it.

Just our 2¢ and if I'm wrong on this, my apologies.

Jack & Sandi

39 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Thank you for clarifying Steven.  The administrators have the best current correct information on advertising.  I think if the members get involved in trying to direct sell advertising, there will be varying information out there that may or may not be up to date and accurate.  I would be glad to direct a potential advertiser to an administrator but I don't want to get involved with selling advertising space or collecting money.

The other half of the conversation that has come up recently is whether we should mention establishments that we have stayed at in our posts regardless of whether the establishment is an advertiser or not.  There are only four advertisers on QuebecRider that are lodging facilities.  It would be great if there were a hundred but since there isn't, we can't all stay at only these four places.  By posting places that we have enjoyed and have been treated well I think helps everyone and maybe will bring in more advertisers.  We post where the gas stations and the restaurants are and these aren't necessarily advertisers.  Should we not tell someone where the next gas stop is going to Abitibi or Sept Iles just because they are not an advertiser?

I've always thought that Rob's vision for QuebecRider was a forum for snowmobilers to help other snowmobilers enjoy this great sport that we all love.  I also realize that it takes money to keep this site going and many of us gladly put in our $25 per year to help support it.

Just our 2¢ and if I'm wrong on this, my apologies.

Jack & Sandi

I think you are going to an extreme with your example

Of course if someone asks about services they should get an answer about what is available and where and mentioning places you have stayed or enjoyed a nice meal by all means post it regardless of that establishment being a sponsor or not 

My point is if you’re on this site constantly promoting an establishment that is not a sponsor maybe you should consider approaching them about becoming a sponsor

For one establishment to get free promotion on almost a daily basis while others pay for advertising isn’t right in my book 

Okay, this whole issue is probably from my doing, and I wish to apologize to everyone. While it was once mentioned I should try to get a certain hotel on board, I am a little shy about approaching a business about spending their money.  Yes, under certain circumstances I can be quite shy. I wish someone had told me straight out it was an issue starting to bother people and affecting friendships. I have stopped mentioning the establishment, and when I get home I will contact this business via e-mail and do my best to get them on board.

I mentioned this business often, as getting people to this area and as a way of introducing them to this area via a business/great place to stay that would make their Quebec snowmobiling visit a more positive one. I also did it to meet new people, and get together with old friends and acquaintances. And it worked wonderful, all the new friends, and often meeting up with old friends. These people always were so nice to include me in their group, to get together with me, and I am forever thankful to them.

mike

1 hour ago, 182ray said:

My point is if you’re on this site constantly promoting an establishment that is not a sponsor maybe you should consider approaching them about becoming a sponsor

Constantly Promoting? Oh ok. 

This is getting out of control, now I need to be politically correct in which things I can post and cannot. Easier to just not post anything then what you got on the site? Not much content. I’ll post what I want when I want, and if your offended, then go take a time out in a safe place. Or delete my membership and send back my $25 bucks, no problem.

btw thanks for the hijacking. Much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, neksledr said:

All interesting information, but I was hoping to hear more about Iceman's run! Iceman, where are you?

Not sure I’m allowed to say. Better say nothing. Might offend people. 

Probably safer by PM, so those who want details PM me. 

Edited by iceman

So anyway, Don I am glad the new front suspension is an improvement, I was going to ask but you had already stated it is good.

I want to hear about the BC 850, did Snohorse get the 1.6 or 2" track? Does he think the 146 is too long? Wish I had one of them last week when we were breaking trail on the 23 from St Ray to Le Tape. There's a lot of snow up there. That sled is on my radar for a Spring Purchase. Can I go back to a two smoke????

Thanks and have a great ride head to the Mount there is a lot of snow there also.

3 minutes ago, iceman said:

Not sure I’m allowed to say. Better say nothing. Might offend people. 

Probably safer by PM, so those who want details PM me. 

This place is going to go the way the the rest of the .coms at this rate. FB will ultimately win. So sad it use to be fun here.

4 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

want to hear about the BC 850, did Snohorse get the 1.6 or 2" track? Does he think the 146 is too long?

1.6” and he says it’s not too long at all. Feels no real difference from his 137” Its a beast and gets great mileage too. I like it. BTW Ski Doo not a sponsor. Could be trouble. 

Ice, I left Yamaha after 19 years for a 2018 850 backcountry as well. Hope it is not a mistake, it has decent power, handles well, seating ergos are perfect, plenty of wind protection with the big shield, bought the 4 year warranty, just because it is not a Yamaha, basically it is an XTX in a lighter package.

7 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Ice, I left Yamaha after 19 years for a 2018 850 backcountry as well. Hope it is not a mistake, it has decent power, handles well, seating ergos are perfect, plenty of wind protection with the big shield, bought the 4 year warranty, just because it is not a Yamaha, basically it is an XTX in a lighter package.

Good Luck with it, I like Snohorse’s sled alot it’s a bad ass machine.

Back to the run....

Day 2 we left La Saguenenne, up across Shipshaw and took parc trail to 93. Continued straight and up toward Onitchaway. Fresh snow here and fluffy. Feeling touristy so took Louie to see the Cave before continuing to Onitchaway for gas and go. From Onitchaway big snow single track (hate it) to Reeservoir tgen left turn toward St Ludger. Gas in St Ludger and then on to ride the new trail to Girardville 106km very nice trail 6 new bridges really impressive. From there down into Dolbeau and to Auberge Diligence. All in all great riding. 248 miles. 

Day 3 

left Dilligence and up 93 then to orange trail back up to Lac a Jim nice trail lots of traffic. Then down to La Dore for gas then Orange trail to St Hedwidge to join 83. Took 83 direction Relais 22 unbelievable the traffic coming at us. It’s Saturday and free weekend, not loving it. Get to Relais 22 and catch up to Florida Snowman Jackstraw and Eric. Gas and go. We are all here tonight at Windigo. 253 miles. 

Life is good. Ride on

On 1/18/2018 at 9:37 PM, iceman said:

At La Saguenee cause I like it here and my friend works in the restaurant.

Yeah, that'd be something if the Delta had La Sagueneenne's pool & Silvie!

It totally freaked my gang out when I reached out for a 5'er from a "stranger" rolling up!  Those snake-eye headlamps are unmistakable.   Gotta have sumthin to tell twins apart (in addition to the black-out out back).

IMG_20180115_090155.thumb.jpg.b3b0065546f3389e683901b988ba0f85.jpg

Edited by PLAYHARD

On 1/19/2018 at 6:12 PM, mikerider said:

getting people to this area and as a way of introducing them to this area via a business/great place to stay that would make their Quebec snowmobiling visit a more positive one. I also did it to meet new people, and get together with old friends and acquaintances. And it worked wonderful, all the new friends, and often meeting up with old friends. These people always were so nice to include me in their group, to get together with me, and I am forever thankful to them.

X2!  Forever thankful to all you'ze posting positive reports & stuff!

Day 4

After an awesome stay as usual at Windigo with Martine and Daniel, unbelievable dinner of wings and smoked meat. Tabernac it was good. Enjoyed hanging with Florida Snowman, Jackstraw and Eric. Great bunch of riders in that group. 

Slept like a baby. Left Windigo and got a track from a local at the bar there last night. I know the shortcut back to 73 but wanted to be certain. Awesome run right to 73 cutting off a ton of time and KM’s. 73 was THE best trail I saw all this run. Unbelievable. 10/10 to La Tuque. Into La Tuque took the gas. Left there not sure what to do next. Had no real destination yet. We were winging it. I had called Roquemont but was full when i checked Friday no rooms for Sunday night. So....we headed south on 355 the section from La Tuque to the Rail Tressel was excellent. Arrived at junction 351/355 decision time. I wanted to go 355 to 360 then run past Mattawin. We started down 355. Big mistake. It was like it had been not groomed all year. Wicked rough big moguls. F-this. We are turning back. So down 351. Better but still rough. Need more snow on this. Got better closer to 23. 23 to Lac au Sables was near perfect. Stopped for gas there and snacks. We had to this point seen minimal traffic which was shocking considering it was Sunday, nice weather and free weekend. I was thinking maybe it was due to a Zombie Apocalypse but, no upon arrival in Lac au Sables i found Everyone and I mean Everyone. The resto next to the gas surely was over the intended capacity by the fire dept. it was mayhem. No cheeseburgers today. Gas and snacks. I decided to take a chance and Emily at the depaneur/gas was kind enough to give me her cell phone to call Roquemont. Well what do you know? Bingo! They had 2 cancellations. 1 room 1 bed, 1 room 2 beds. Sold Team Iceman. We are in. We continue on 23 part is back to the old route then there is a new section bulldozed up and over the Mountain after ND du Montuban, its a warzone. Bad Bad. We stick on the 23 and arrive at 353/23. 353 is bad. I send Snohorse on a Recon run down 23 while I wait for Louie. The intel is good. Mint trail the 23. We go. It’s a winner. 23 great to 3/23. Then we start to hit traffic. Trail mediocre at best the weekend has taken it’s toll. So it is. 3 all the way to 73. Passing as i can but I got Louie. Love em. But he cannot run at our pace. I decide to just pick them off one by one and we will gather up Louie after. As long as we don’t change trail he knows continue on 3. Its so so to poor. I mean poor. Arrive at jct 73 up to St Ray. We wait for Louie. We give him a break and time to warm up in the hut. Traffic is getting crazy now as it’s getting dark. 73 to St Raymond. Looks like it was carpet bombed. Used up. Fini, kaput. It’s painful. We run to gas/depaneur near Dion Moto to get some beer, pepsi(for the Jack) and snack. Then over to Roquemont. Complete Garbage hear, weekend has done it. It’s used up and rough as hell. Groomers got lots of work ahead of them. Now trapped here, half day back to Chez Ice tmmrw gotta take the new ride for her first service. Not sure whick trail to take home will look at grooming tmmrw morning. 

Also if anyone finds a sac on the trail between Dion Moto and Roquemont please bring to room 215, Snohorse is now drinking my Pepsi with his Jack and we got no Pistachios to munch on. A reward is being offered. Urgent. 

Until next time mes ami’s 

1 hour ago, iceman said:

Day 4

After an awesome stay as usual at Windigo with Martine and Daniel, unbelievable dinner of wings and smoked meat. Tabernac it was good. Enjoyed hanging with Florida Snowman, Jackstraw and Eric. Great bunch of riders in that group. 

Slept like a baby. Left Windigo and got a track from a local at the bar there last night. I know the shortcut back to 73 but wanted to be certain. Awesome run right to 73 cutting off a ton of time and KM’s. 73 was THE best trail I saw all this run. Unbelievable. 10/10 to La Tuque. Into La Tuque took the gas. Left there not sure what to do next. Had no real destination yet. We were winging it. I had called Roquemont but was full when i checked Friday no rooms for Sunday night. So....we headed south on 355 the section from La Tuque to the Rail Tressel was excellent. Arrived at junction 351/355 decision time. I wanted to go 355 to 360 then run past Mattawin. We started down 355. Big mistake. It was like it had been not groomed all year. Wicked rough big moguls. F-this. We are turning back. So down 351. Better but still rough. Need more snow on this. Got better closer to 23. 23 to Lac au Sables was near perfect. Stopped for gas there and snacks. We had to this point seen minimal traffic which was shocking considering it was Sunday, nice weather and free weekend. I was thinking maybe it was due to a Zombie Apocalypse but, no upon arrival in Lac au Sables i found Everyone and I mean Everyone. The resto next to the gas surely was over the intended capacity by the fire dept. it was mayhem. No cheeseburgers today. Gas and snacks. I decided to take a chance and Emily at the depaneur/gas was kind enough to give me her cell phone to call Roquemont. Well what do you know? Bingo! They had 2 cancellations. 1 room 1 bed, 1 room 2 beds. Sold Team Iceman. We are in. We continue on 23 part is back to the old route then there is a new section bulldozed up and over the Mountain after ND du Montuban, its a warzone. Bad Bad. We stick on the 23 and arrive at 353/23. 353 is bad. I send Snohorse on a Recon run down 23 while I wait for Louie. The intel is good. Mint trail the 23. We go. It’s a winner. 23 great to 3/23. Then we start to hit traffic. Trail mediocre at best the weekend has taken it’s toll. So it is. 3 all the way to 73. Passing as i can but I got Louie. Love em. But he cannot run at our pace. I decide to just pick them off one by one and we will gather up Louie after. As long as we don’t change trail he knows continue on 3. Its so so to poor. I mean poor. Arrive at jct 73 up to St Ray. We wait for Louie. We give him a break and time to warm up in the hut. Traffic is getting crazy now as it’s getting dark. 73 to St Raymond. Looks like it was carpet bombed. Used up. Fini, kaput. It’s painful. We run to gas/depaneur near Dion Moto to get some beer, pepsi(for the Jack) and snack. Then over to Roquemont. Complete Garbage hear, weekend has done it. It’s used up and rough as hell. Groomers got lots of work ahead of them. Now trapped here, half day back to Chez Ice tmmrw gotta take the new ride for her first service. Not sure whick trail to take home will look at grooming tmmrw morning. 

Also if anyone finds a sac on the trail between Dion Moto and Roquemont please bring to room 215, Snohorse is now drinking my Pepsi with his Jack and we got no Pistachios to munch on. A reward is being offered. Urgent. 

Until next time mes ami’s 

I hear we passed you guys stopped on the trail. Didn't see you .We missed the turn on to the 302 and had to continue the torture on the 23. Whooped is an understatement! Good meeting up with ya at windigo

Radar set up on the 73 south of La Tuque 

think we talked are way out of a ticket

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

Radar set up on the 73 south of La Tuque 

think we talked are way out of a ticket

Lucky...did not see many trails you could really speed on today. Only a few.

for sure nice to meet up with you guys. Lot’s of torture today.