An Apology In Order

mikerider

I wish to apologize to fellow QuebecrRders.  Over the past few years I have posted much about the region I ride, my rides, new and old friends I have met and socialized, and the place I stay. Apparently the number of times I have mentioned the latter, the place I stay, has become a problem, as this business is not a paid advertiser on QR.

Mentioning this business was only meant to have people considering a snowmobile experience in Quebec to see there are many great places to stay and this is one of them. Combined with pictures showing what it is like to ride this area and how good it is, describing the many club houses, the many other Americans that stay here, I thought I was helping QR gain new members, maybe some who will become paying members, and have more people support the Quebec trail system who might normally ride in states. I think I was somewhat successful at this considering the people who have mentioned my posts as a reason for coming, and I believe many joined QR. And part of all this was my enthusiasm of just being in the area and snowmobiling.

But most importantly, I posted what I did as a way to meet new people, and get together with old friends. And wow, did this turn out to be a success. You all will never know just how much I enjoy seeing you, and how thankful I am to all of you including me in your visits and for blessing me with your friendships.

Thanks to one of the kind moderators of QR who took the time to give me some advertising information, and some patience. I will be contacting this business and will make a bold and persuasive attempt at getting them on board as an advertiser.

Best to you all.

mike

Whose rule is it exactly about not mentioning a place just because they are not a paid Advertiser? Is it a site Rule cause if it is please show me where it’s been hiding? And don’t go saying it’s always been. This is just one or two with their panties in a bunch, 

You got nothing to apologize for Mike. 

Mike

i will say this and i don’t post alot but do check in to regularly . I understand these forums need to generate money but honestly i think this is getting a little carried away. The forums are here to be used as they have been in my opinion to share information and experiences. Yes we can when in position to promote to a hotel or other the benefits but ultimately I believe its the forum owners to go out and sell their advertising like any business will/does. I think whenever we do attend a place that supports the forum to tell them we heard about them here and appreciate the support. But to be sensored  because they’re not a supporter is just wrong. Im sure others will have thoughts comments and this is mine. 

I do appreciate the owners of this and the other forums i use and maybe in time an annual subscription should be considered for all. In saying this i will become a contributing member this week to put my money where my mouth is so to speak. 

38 minutes ago, mikerider said:

I wish to apologize to fellow QuebecrRders.  Over the past few years I have posted much about the region I ride, my rides, new and old friends I have met and socialized, and the place I stay. Apparently the number of times I have mentioned the latter, the place I stay, has become a problem, as this business is not a paid advertiser on QR.

Mentioning this business was only meant to have people considering a snowmobile experience in Quebec to see there are many great places to stay and this is one of them. Combined with pictures showing what it is like to ride this area and how good it is, describing the many club houses, the many other Americans that stay here, I thought I was helping QR gain new members, maybe some who will become paying members, and have more people support the Quebec trail system who might normally ride in states. I think I was somewhat successful at this considering the people who have mentioned my posts as a reason for coming, and I believe many joined QR. And part of all this was my enthusiasm of just being in the area and snowmobiling.

But most importantly, I posted what I did as a way to meet new people, and get together with old friends. And wow, did this turn out to be a success. You all will never know just how much I enjoy seeing you, and how thankful I am to all of you including me in your visits and for blessing me with your friendships.

Thanks to one of the kind moderators of QR who took the time to give me some advertising information, and some patience. I will be contacting this business and will make a bold and persuasive attempt at getting them on board as an advertiser.

Best to you all.

mike

Always look forward to your posts Mike. Please keep them coming. John 

Without Mikerider, SaguenayBill, Groomer, Iceman, Jack/Sandi, Gutz, Etc and large portion of other members who try to go out of there way to post trip reports, accurate unbiased trail information, conditions, and fun banter, the views will go down the tube and this site sadly implodes.

censorship in any way is death!

If money is the issue the site owners need to look into closed loop marketing and advertising for anything.  Views are $$$ and I sure believe there are enough views to make this sustainable and draw more than enough advertising dollars from anywhere and everywhere.

A 22 year old computer science/ Business major could turn this site into a nice little side business in less than 24hrs without having to beg quebec businesses for a couple bucks.

My 2cents

Please Keep Posting Mike

All your information is priceless to All

I do not want this to divide us. We are all friends with the same goal, friendships through our love of snowmobiling. I will give it my best shot to get this business on board as an advertiser.

Whether I succeed or not, I guess the next round of drinks is on me. Stop by, and drink we shall.

mike

Keep doing what you’re doing Mike  I for one really enjoy your reports, pic’s and stories. You don’t report for a personal agenda you report for the love of the sport and all the great ppl. that appreciate what you do for US!

Greg.

Mike, you have nothing to apologize for! While I can understand the business aspect of it, the reason people come to this site is to get real honest to goodness info. I want to know the good and the bad advertiser or not. There are places that advertise on here that I wouldn't stay at because I like riding my snowmobile not grinding around in town. That doesn't mean I am going out of my way to talk the place down but if someone asks on this forum how is the _ _ _ _ _ I am not going to candy coat it. Give it to me straight like you always do, and thanks for that

MikeRider, don't change a thing  in your day to day reports. Our sport is challenged strongly by nay sayers, we needs lots more good stories of how safe, fun, and easy our sport can be. Stories of good food, dependable machines, smooth trails and a good selection of nice-super fancy hotels to stay at, whether you are riding with the guys or a couple. The type of stories you tell is what everyone is on this message board to read about. 

Good Luck getting the Universal signed on, a great place to stay. 

Steven

Keep them coming Mike. I recall Rob creating QR to share ride stories, places to stay things to see trail conditions a place to find riding partners, etc. I believe he would want that to continue.

The second we were asked for donations to help run the place I paid, I would double the asking donation if requested. You don't go snowmobiling to save money.

21 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

Keep them coming Mike. I recall Rob creating QR to share ride stories, places to stay things to see trail conditions a place to find riding partners, etc. I believe he would want that to continue.

The second we were asked for donations to help run the place I paid, I would double the asking donation if requested. You don't go snowmobiling to save money.

Totally agree. 

Trail reports on conditions are to me one of the most important benefits of participating here. IMO it’s silly to not report on and mention places that are sled friendly. I feel your obligations are met if you encourage the business in question to participate. I’m amazed how few people I meet who are  QR members. 

My 2 cents worth, I started riding in 1966, like a lot of people here,and with out any reservations, I believe that this site is far and away the best place to get info about lodging, trail conditions, trip planning, making friends , meeting people, getting very good info on equipment, etc. The camaraderie here is second to none, and I agree 110% the statement about how surprising it is that most people riding Quebec are not members here . I have met some of the nicest folks thru this site, all with a common interest in the outdoors, enjoying it and our sport while respecting the efforts of land owners, lodges, restaurateurs, and everyone involved in making it all work like a well oiled machine.Promoting this idea and trying to bring more good people or business' on board is a good idea. We have some great players here who have given a lot of their time to this site, I won't mention names for fear of leaving anyone out, but this is a small community and everyone here is important and has something to contribute with every trip they post about, whether it be a good meal or a shop that helped them out , many thanks to all of you, Bob.

1 hour ago, grumpysanta said:

HELL YA . nice to have  people to give advice on where to stay and go. to enhance the sledding experience

People are always telling me where to go even without a forum.😀

Actually I have been sledding a long time and lived in QC all my life and never realized that such a forum existed till a few years ago. It is a valuable resource for info and a widow on what is going on throughout the Provence. 

We have a great group of members that have a passion for snowmobiling.  We all have differing riding styles, ride different sleds and like to ride in different areas  and stay at all types of accommodations from tents to 5 star hotels. I hope we continue to keep this forum a “no spin zone” and information will continue to flow friendly and freely.  Many of the members have decades of riding experience, its nice to be able to have that data base of knowledge accessible. 

Happy Trails

RR

We have valuable resources in all the great people here that are able to cover a large part of Quebec’s trail system with very current reports on conditions, closures, fuel, and services. Like everyone else, I find this invaluable and wonder every day how I snowmobiled before I had it.

i have never been aware that this site was having any financial difficulties - and if it was I am quite sure most of us would do what was needed to assist and “keep the lights on”. 

All that being said, it isn’t really fair to those who have chosen to sponsor this site for any member to do advertising for a business or service who isn’t paying for it.

Keep up the great Ambassador'ship Mike!  For our favorite sport, and for our favorite place to stay in RDL!  The Universal has always been sled friendly and flexible, particularly when conditions & machines were not!

And HELL they have tourtiere on the breakfast buffet!  Choice of public or fancy pools!   Family Resto or Pub!  Secure parking for trucks & sleds!  Gas on site & DIRECT trail access!  Constant grooming from the front door in all directions!  Oh and YEAH BABY, the waitstaff are sledder/dirt-bikers too!...

IMG_20170323_200508_edit.thumb.jpg.dfaa0200aae3c2f4c8b7d5cd4c8b0de3.jpgIMG_20170324_081451.thumb.jpg.a520fa4f484dba0ace05ba37107638fe.jpgIMG_20170328_190920.thumb.jpg.00ba0a6540bf82d6aaefe1057ea35115.jpgIMG_20170328_190951.thumb.jpg.50e5c5cd0098f93175d79f4e44d99966.jpgIMG_20170330_081032.thumb.jpg.da1fa4baad569464fc65681e32a677e1.jpgIMG_20170329_211300.thumb.jpg.f4c0e1674e748705123b7e97c24700b6.jpg

@mikerider I've never had an issue with you, or anyone else talking up the places they like to stay and or eat at. In fact, like others have said, it's what QR is all about. The only time I have an issue is if a business joins to promote itself without signing up to be an advertiser. It just isn't fair to the paid advertisers of the site.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:50 AM, quebec bob said:

My 2 cents worth, I started riding in 1966, like a lot of people here,and with out any reservations, I believe that this site is far and away the best place to get info about lodging, trail conditions, trip planning, making friends , meeting people, getting very good info on equipment, etc. The camaraderie here is second to none, and I agree 110% the statement about how surprising it is that most people riding Quebec are not members here . I have met some of the nicest folks thru this site, all with a common interest in the outdoors, enjoying it and our sport while respecting the efforts of land owners, lodges, restaurateurs, and everyone involved in making it all work like a well oiled machine.Promoting this idea and trying to bring more good people or business' on board is a good idea. We have some great players here who have given a lot of their time to this site, I won't mention names for fear of leaving anyone out, but this is a small community and everyone here is important and has something to contribute with every trip they post about, whether it be a good meal or a shop that helped them out , many thanks to all of you, Bob.

Funny Story:

My brothers and I were at the West Springfield Sled Show back in 90s-ish (gettin old sucks, can't remember crap) and there was this guy showing video of trails that were not 3feet wide and bumpy and all get out. It was Bob! 

We always said we want to ride there!! and from then on we always dreamed of riding in Quebec.

So... Thanks!!

GutZ