Team Maine Racing - Cains Quest 2008

dblacks

WE appreciate the support from so many of our friends on the internet. We are truelly amazed at the # of people that know who stop us when of snowmobiling and wearing Team Maine Racing Gear. People traveling all through Maine and Quebec recognize us.

I will be posting updates in this thread during the race and we will also have links on our website to out Blog that will have updates as well as links to track the race.

We will all be up in Lab City by Wednesday night and the race starts on Sunday the 9th and will last until probably Thursday.

Again thanks to all that support us.

The Team Maine Crew

dblacks, MaineCorrado, Early Rider, Smitty22, and of course Fireman Dave is joing us up there this year.

When the race is on I check on your progress dozens of times a day. Everyone here on QR and HCS are pulling for you guys!!! Remember guys this is an endurance race and you need to stay safe and keep your equipment running. You guys have the physical and mental parts of this race down pat. You just need to keep the sleds rubber side down, out of the trees and off the rocks! I know much easier said then done! Go out there and use your God given ability and do us all proud!

Andy

ps: Keep your eye on the local boys!

Thanks for the good words guys. I will do my best to keep you updated.

Andyman, I believe you are on listed with the 200 plus other people on out email update list. If I have emailed you an update and you dont see it posted here can you copy and paste it for me. I have plenty of places to update but time may be an issue for me at points during the race or based on internet connection.

Strategy is huge in this race and we have spent countless hours talking about it. As usual keeping the equipment and the riders together is the biggest part.

Team Maine Update 2-27-08

Hello Team Maine!!!Things are coming down to the wire. It is less then a week to go before we leave Maine for the 20 hour truck drive to Labrador City. The last couple of weeks have been very busy with planning and preparation.

Rob and Todd were in Labrador earlier this month for a week they spent lots of time checking out snow conditions as well as exploring some new sections added to the race course. A big expense in personal time and money but it was needed to be done so we have a better chance at competing with the locals in their backyard. Unfortunately Rob found a rock under the snow with his personal Ski-Doo XP Summit that bent up the front end of the sled. They did however get some time on the Race sleds and found a few things that needed to be changed. Meanwhile at the Andy Santerre Ride, Dana, Rich and the girls had taken a longer loop with Kevin Freeman (owner of the Sled Shop in Presque isle) and Rick Salley (The Ski-Doo Rep for Maine) and on the way back to the Caribou Motor Inn, Dana was leading the group, he had a very large Deer jump out from the side of the trail and literally land on the front of Rob’s XP Renegade that he was using and it mangled the front of the sled. This left us with 2 of Rob’s sleds to rebuild before the race as both will be making the trip to Labrador with us as Support Sleds. Fortunately both Rob and Dana were okay from the incidents and both sleds are ready to go.

The Race sleds have had lots of work done to them. Both with Ohlin front shocks, revalved rear shocks and heavy springs, auxiliary fuel tanks, auxiliary lighting among many other upgrades and adjustments for them to stay together for Rob and Rich during the race this year. We can only hope all the hard work pays off to limit down time due to broken parts.

This year Rob’s wife Tina and Rich’s wife Amanda are making the trip up to Lab for the race. Evidently they were not excited to sit up and stare at a computer screen all night again this year; they would rather be there and know what is going on 1st hand. We are looking forward to showing them around “The Big Land”. It will be interesting to get a women’s prospective on the whole event. Perhaps they will be the 1st Women’s team to enter the race next year…….

Also joining Rich, Rob, Dana and Todd will be Dave Hammond, as well as Wayne and Irene Dyer (Sponsors and supporters that want to experience the whole event). Also David and Andrew Milley and Todd Stokes (locals from Lab City) will be joining us up there as support crew Members. We will have 2 groups of 3 out in various parts of the race course to support Rich and Rob.

We will have a Web Blog up and running on the website over the weekend so Dana can post updates and let all the supporters back home post messages to the team and share other thoughts. Rob and Rich will probably update it themselves in Goosebay like they did last year. We will have links on our website to the GPS tracking site so you will be able to see where the racers are as the GPS updates. There will also be links to the Web Cams that are supposed to be up and running for the race at 3 of the checkpoints. We want all of our sponsors and supporters to be involved as much as possible from the comfort of your home or office.

Again part of the goal is to raise Money for Pine Tree Camp so if you know of any other potential Sponsors or Supporters let us know. Special thanks to our many sponsors; Please visit the website to view the long list that continues to grow. Also a special thank you goes to all the friends and supporters from QuebecRider.com, Hardcoresledder.com, Dootalk.com and SledMaine.com

The Crew at Team Maine Racing

Racing to Support Pine Tree Camp

www.teammaineracing.net

It is Friday morning and we have been in lab city since Wednesday afternoon. We have been very busy with people coming over to see us at the hotel. We weren’t in town 5 minutes and had other race teams stopping in to say hello and see what type of information we are willing to give up. Everyone is talking different things about the race from being very fast to being very slow going especially at the Goosebay end of the course as they have gotten over 2 feet of fresh snow in the last several days.

They weather is actually very nice; Yesterday was clear and got up to 9 deg. F. It is expected to get to -5 plus a wind-chill on Sunday, the first day of the race. We went out for a ride yesterday to run a couple of sections of the race course that were easy to get to.

The race sleds are sitting in the Milley’s Garage and as we have a few things to do to them before the sled inspection tomorrow. We have registration tonight at the snowmobile Clubhouse, sled inspection on Saturday morning, Racers meeting Sat. afternoon and then a Press meet and greet after that.

Needless to say we are completely overwhelmed by the hospitality of the people up here. We made long lasting relationships last year with other local teams as well as many of the local people. If there is anything we need all we have to do is make a call or 2 and we will be told where we can get it.

Until tomorrow, thanks a ton for the support and many well wishes. Be sure to link onto the blog on our website and you can click on comments below the message and add any comment you like.

The Crew at Team Maine Racing

Are you guys staying at the two seasons?

My sister-in-law Elaine works the front desk. You can kid her that a lot of Canadians (including Newfoundlanders) from Quebecrider/HCS are cheering for you guys and not the locals.

Looking forward to tracking the race.

MUBS

Team Maine Racing Update Saturday 3-8-08

It has been a long 2 days, sorry for the delay in getting this out to you. Yesterday when running errands with the Big Truck and trailer, we smelt something funny under the hood, Something was burning. I pulled it over in front of the Chevy Garage and we looked under to find a belt pulley locked up and the belt ripped apart. No problem we had one over nighted from Montreal, It didn't show up today. We found the right belt but it was on a truck in for service work and got the dealer to take itoff and put it on the Duramax so we are all set for the race.

Last night was Registration, GPS testing and Rob's 35th Birthday!; thismorning was more errands, work to double check on the race sleds, Tech and gear inspection, final prep of the support sleds and tag sleds, Racers meeting among other things.

SnowmobilerTV is hear to film the race and they have asked Team Maine to be one of 3 teams featured throughout the race. They have interviewed us all, filmed us at registration, installed a helmet cam on Rob's Helmet and are planning on more interviews. Both Rob and Rich have been interviewed by CBC and the WeatherNetwork as well as several local News Publications and Sledworthy Magazine. Rich drew the 15th starting spot so they will be starting the race at 11:30 Atlantic Time and we do change an hour here tonight just like you at home. This puts them in the middle of the pack and then they will have a 24 minute holdover at the 1st Checkpoint so all the teams will be on the same time when they leave the 2nd checkpoint. We are all very excited for the race to start, we have all of our plans in place and barring any sled issues we are prepared to be very competitive.

We can't say thanks enough for all the Support. I will update after the start of the race as I will be in Lab City for another hour or so after the start.

Dana and the Crew

Looks like an issue with fuel ay CP1. Either no fuel or they ran out. Team #22 ran out of fuel and had to have the support crew bring them fuel explaining the long time stationary.

Andy

Hello Team Maine,

Well the 1st day has been a long day again! They guys were pumped at the starting line, Rob was up and ready to go at 5am…. Not much sleep for any of us.

Well as you may have seen they made awesome time at the beginning. At the 1st checkpoint I got a call from them saying their draw tanks weren’t working. Todd and Dave were already out on the trail waiting for them so they went south to meet them as Rob and Rich ran out of fuel before the 2nd checkpoint as many did; there was no fuel at the 1st checkpoint this year. We don’t have that issue solved yet but will in the morning.

2nd issue was Rich must have come down just right of a snow drift to shear off both Track adjuster bolts. Rich called me as I was in route to Churchill Falls, I called todd and Dave to go meet them as they were 25 miles from them. Rob fixed it enough to move slowly on but they decided to stay of the slush covered lake that they had planned to run in case Rob had to tow Rich and they missed them. Meanwhile I had sent David and Andrew Milley to meet Wayne and Irene at the Gabbro checkpoint, Andrew took the adjuster brackets of the spare sled in Todd’s trailer and had everything ready for them to fix Rich’s sled.

Meanwhile in the issues with the tanks Rob’s auxiliary tank cap fell off and water had gotten into the system and the sled was running awful all they way on the last 45 miles to Churchill.

We have already put plans into place for what is needed in the morning for most of what needs to be done when they go back on the clock at roughly 8:00 am Eastern Standard time.

The lead team set a record pace into Churchill but they have issues with their sleds as do many of the teams that pulled in. Also they Goosebay end of the course will be very slow and if Rob and Rich take care of the equipment once they leave they will catch up and pass many teams.

They guys are very upbeat and ready to move on.

Dana

Team Maine Racing

Here is an update from Tina and Amanda.

Andy

Re: Cain's Quest - In progress3/9

Reply #60 - Today at 6:16am hey everyone, this is Tina and Amanda. we're here in goosebay and thought you'd like an update. rich and rob broke a suspension part that attaches the suspension to the frame (sorry, that's as technical as i get) and spent several hours holed up at seal lake. todd and dave were able to reach a fabricator and create something that will fix this issue-we hope. todd, dave and the milley's (our wonderful support members from up here in lab) left at 4:15 this morning and are delivering this piece up to them as they work their way down. rich and rob are traveling with another team (i think team 1) as they broke a clutch; todd and dave are carrying the clutch for them to fix as well. so, nobody has checked in here in goose just yet. what this means is that rich and rob have 18 hours from the time the first team arrives to get back here; this should not be an issue. let's keep our fingers crossed that all goes well and they get here in the allotted time. love to read all the good thoughts, keep them coming!! we will deffinately keep you all posted as we learn more. oh, side note, team 14 has had 6 super wide tracks breaking trail for them most of the way. appears that when the ride broken trail, they do well but when forced to break on their own, the results are not nearly as astounding. ttyl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich - Team Maine

www.teammaineracing.net

Here is an update from Dana a around noon

RR

Well it has been a long couple of days.

It was early morning when I did the last update at the restaurant at the

Hotel. I spent the night over at the checkpoint getting some info from

the other teams and getting things ready for the team and the support

crew to go out. The rest of the crew got a much needed few hours of

sleep. The miley’s headed out on the trail at 4:00 am to have fuel and

supplies out there for Rob and Rich. The rest came down to the

checkpoint so they could help finish getting things in order, set up a

game plan and the girls got to spend some time with their husbands.

Rob and Rich got up at Churchill after some rest and they got another

good meal. Rob needed to pull his sled in the trailer to do a few minor

things but Rich’s was pretty much ready to go after fuel and oil. After

Rob thought his sled was good to go he noticed a bent track adjustment

bolt as well a broken skid bolt. Both got repaired and off they went. I

satyed back to wait for the Miley’s to return and the rest of the crew

headed off for Goosebay.

Just beyond the Orma checkpoint, Rich bent another track adjuster bolt.

Later I got they call from Rich on Seal lake that he had bigger issues.

The suspension bracket on his rear skid split in half. The spent part of

the night at the Seal checkpoint with Team 1; a team from Lab City that

we are friends with that we having clutch issues. Meanwhile, Todd, Dave

and the girls were in Goosebay already and got some reinforcement

brackets made.

I then made my way from Chuurchill with the Milley’s. When we got back

to Goose we all sat down and made plans for Todd, Dave and the Milleys to

go out on the trail and meet The 2 teams with what they needed to finish

the leg of the race at full speed.

The support group left Goose at 4:30 am and met Rob and Rich and Team 1

just beyond Harvey’s checkpoint and the teams fixed their sleds and have

gotten on their way.

The girls have gotten 1st hand experience of why we enjoy this race and

why we enjoy the people of Labrador. It would take me all day to

describe the hospitality that they have received. As emotionally

attached as all of our supporters get

I will update more after they arrive here in Goosebay.

Dana Blackstone

Team Maine Racing

Dana@teammaineracing.net

www.teammaineracing.net

they made check-in at goosebay and are 6:55 behind the leader based on the timesheets. With some good luck at the pace they ride they should be able to catch up to a fair amount of sleds tomorrow. They will head out 7:30 tomorrow morning after the required 16 hour layover and I'm sure Dana will update this site tonight.