Team Maine Racing - Cains Quest 2008

dblacks

hey guys, it's rich.

rob and i got into goose around 3 this afternoon, sleds are in "pretty good shape" considering what they have been put through. we have had to deal with mechanicals since the second checkpoint from running out of gas because the drawdown tank not working, to low octane fuel making the sled run in limp mode, to 3 broken track adjuster bolts, to broken rocker arm bolt in skid, to the grand finale of sheering off the left rear hanger for the left rear skid bolt at seal lake yesterday. we slept in a woodshed last night and left for nipishish at 5:30am today with my skid held together with a tow strap and team 1 with a broken arm in their primary clutch. going was slow but we were making progress. our support team, todd, dave, and the milleys were making their way a 6 hour ride one way. we met them 6 km from harveys check and plated my sled with a fabricated piece they sourced late last night in goosebay. they also brought a clutch for team 1 so we were rolling once again. rob and i rode our butts off back to goose to make up lost time from mechanicals and our times reflect our effort. we were happy with our progress today given a 14 hour hold up at seal lake yesterday.

a lot of teams are broke and crippled as of right now, in fact there are 3 sleds in the impound lot with no skids in them, just sitting on the ground.

tomorrow will be a good day for us, we leave around 8 am after some brief repairs. it will give us a lot of daylight. the trail from seal back to orma is so severe that we will not be able to backtrack and a new track will have to be punched through over the western hills around the lake. this is good for us because it takes a lot of time and energy to do this for the lead teams all the while rob and i will be making up some more ground.

i can only hope that our mechanical problems are over and we can finish this race a few places higher than we currently are. we are discouraged with the breakdowns, but realize a race like this invites serious problems.

tucker hibberts uncle, Rex, is running pretty well and told my wife today that the iron dog is nowhere near as difficult as Cain's Quest, that says a lot since he has raced the iron dog.

keep an eye on us, and think no breakdowns!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey guys, it's rich.

rob and i got into goose around 3 this afternoon, sleds are in "pretty good shape" considering what they have been put through. we have had to deal with mechanicals since the second checkpoint from running out of gas because the drawdown tank not working, to low octane fuel making the sled run in limp mode, to 3 broken track adjuster bolts, to broken rocker arm bolt in skid, to the grand finale of sheering off the left rear hanger for the left rear skid bolt at seal lake yesterday. we slept in a woodshed last night and left for nipishish at 5:30am today with my skid held together with a tow strap and team 1 with a broken arm in their primary clutch. going was slow but we were making progress. our support team, todd, dave, and the milleys were making their way a 6 hour ride one way. we met them 6 km from harveys check and plated my sled with a fabricated piece they sourced late last night in goosebay. they also brought a clutch for team 1 so we were rolling once again. rob and i rode our butts off back to goose to make up lost time from mechanicals and our times reflect our effort. we were happy with our progress today given a 14 hour hold up at seal lake yesterday.

a lot of teams are broke and crippled as of right now, in fact there are 3 sleds in the impound lot with no skids in them, just sitting on the ground.

tomorrow will be a good day for us, we leave around 8 am after some brief repairs. it will give us a lot of daylight. the trail from seal back to orma is so severe that we will not be able to backtrack and a new track will have to be punched through over the western hills around the lake. this is good for us because it takes a lot of time and energy to do this for the lead teams all the while rob and i will be making up some more ground.

i can only hope that our mechanical problems are over and we can finish this race a few places higher than we currently are. we are discouraged with the breakdowns, but realize a race like this invites serious problems.

tucker hibberts uncle, Rex, is running pretty well and told my wife today that the iron dog is nowhere near as difficult as Cain's Quest, that says a lot since he has raced the iron dog.

keep an eye on us, and think no breakdowns!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Maine you have a lot of us with our fingers crossed that you guys don't have any more serious breakdowns and have a chance to go out there and really show your stuff! You guys had an incredible run today considering the night you had put in. Try to get some rest and go back at it in the morning.

Andy

Team Maine you have a lot of us with our fingers crossed that you guys don't have any more serious breakdowns and have a chance to go out there and really show your stuff! You guys had an incredible run today considering the night you had put in. Try to get some rest and go back at it in the morning.

Andy

Sorry to hear about the problems guys. Your perserverence and positive mindset can and will make all the difference! Best wishes and be safe!

Shane

It is going to be a wild finish! Team 22 ran out of fuel prior to Orma on the way to Churchill Falls and had to change a shock prior to leaving CF this am. The leading groups departed as early as 9:42 last evening but there was a crash with no serious injuries just outside CF and one sled caught on fire so that means 2 more scratches plus the lead groups turned back to the Ranger CP due to cold temps! So instead of increasing their lead on #22 they are sitting still keeping warm while #22 boys are gaining on them!!! Never say never boys!!!

Andy

Temperature: -32.4°C Churchill Falls

Dewpoint: -38.2°C

Humidity: 56 %

Wind: W 5 km/h

Wind Chill: -38

Temperature: -33.8°C Lab City

Dewpoint: -38.6°C

Humidity: 62 %

Wind: calm