More Trip Advice from the experts

Sled Dog

Our plan is to drive to Shawnigan on Wednesday 1/24.  Good safe place to stay?  

Thursday ride to Windigo.  We have stayed there before and like it.

Friday ride to Mont Vilain.  Never been there.  Any good?

Saturday ride back to Shawnigan.  Or stay somewhere in between and make it a half day Sunday.

Any thoughts on this itinerary?  Trying to stay where the snow is and keep the drive down.  We have no reservations or anything yet.  I was going to wait for some of your input.

Thanks for the help!!

Go to Drakkar in Shawinigan Sud. Park there. Safe Secure and super supportive sled people. 

I just left Windigo this AM, trail 73 from La Tuque to 22 was the best trail I saw all this run. 

i’ve never stayed at Mont Vilain but have had lunch many times, great place. 

I would do....

Windigo then Mont Vilain then if you can get it on a Saturday night(call now) Roguemont in St Raymond(via 23) Then half day back to Shawinigan Sunday.

just my 2cents

42 minutes ago, Sled Dog said:

Perfect.  Thanks Iceman.  Just what I was looking for.

If you cannot get Roquemont then 355 to 73 to La Tuque via Lac Edouard, stay there then half day back to Shawinigan. But Call Roquemont try it. Great Pub Resto here micro brewery. 

All booked.  Drakkar to Windigo to Mont Vilian to Club Odinark and back to Drakkar and then drive home.

Hopefully the weather cooperates.  Thanks for the suggestions, I used them all!  Emailed Odinark.  Got a confirmation immediatly.

On 1/22/2018 at 4:44 PM, Sled Dog said:

All booked.  Drakkar to Windigo to Mont Vilian to Club Odinark and back to Drakkar and then drive home.

Hopefully the weather cooperates.  Thanks for the suggestions, I used them all!  Emailed Odinark.  Got a confirmation immediatly.

Always gone by the Odinack, let us know what it is like there.

Thanks

GutZ

1 hour ago, MrGutz said:

Thanks

GutZ

Odinack is a great stop, be sure to ask them to see the animals in the basement!!!

2 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Thanks

GutZ

First place I ever stayed back in 98 or 99.  Back then it was family owned by a guy who was and avid hunter.  His son drowned in the lake and then sold the place.  Still a great stop.  

44 minutes ago, mxz7000 said:

First place I ever stayed back in 98 or 99.  Back then it was family owned by a guy who was and avid hunter.  His son drowned in the lake and then sold the place.  Still a great stop.  

The original owner was from France.  He bought the land and had the structures built.  He wanted his son to stay in Quebec & to operate the business.  The story as I heard it was on the Club Odanak opening week a lady somehow dropped her wedding ring into the lake while on a canoe.  The son was making free dives in an attempt to retrieve her ring.  He drowned during this valiant effort.  Such a tragedy!  The owner then had to sell the business because of this.  He could not handle being at Club Odanak ever again.  It was eventually sold to the local Indian tribe.  Make sure you ask to go down to the basement and visit with the amazing taxidermy specimens there!

I love Club Odanak.  Have stayed there many times.  

6 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

The original owner was from France.  He bought the land and had the structures built.  He wanted his son to stay in Quebec & to operate the business.  The story as I heard it was on the Club Odanak opening week a lady somehow dropped her wedding ring into the lake while on a canoe.  The son was making free dives in an attempt to retrieve her ring.  He drowned during this valiant effort.  Such a tragedy!  The owner then had to sell the business because of this.  He could not handle being at Club Odanak ever again.  It was eventually sold to the local Indian tribe.  Make sure you ask to go down to the basement and visit with the amazing taxidermy specimens there!

I love Club Odanak.  Have stayed there many times.  

That's the story we hear too but it definitely wasn't the opening week because we met the son when we were there (with MXZ7000).  He was bar tending with his baby daughter on his shoulders.  I think he drowned the following summer.  His wife moved back to France and then the dad shortly after.  Sad story.  

9 hours ago, Sled Dog said:

Great info on Odanak. Thanks!

We are at Drakkar in Shawnigan. Lot of snow here. Nice place. Very accommodating.  Next stop...Windigo. 

We will be at Drakkar in the morning.  Did you bump into a large group of people (5 couples I believe) there last night?  A couple of them are friends of mine.  That is a large group for them to ride with.  Have a safe trip. 

Yes I believe we ran into them. From NY?

Trails in Shawnigan were perfectly groomed. We were the first on some. 83 could use a little grooming but still good.