Question about Balbuzard

doubler

Been there a few times but not in close to 10 years.  I recall reading something about not being able to wear your shoes/boots in the main lodge and wanted to see if anyone can clarify for me, so here are a specific question.

If you are staying in one of the cabins and have already cleaned up for dinner, can you wearing your sneakers from the cabin to the main lodge?

I've been thinking about this for some time and can't imagine, upon arrival, to have to take off my snowmobile boots and slip into slippers that many other sweaty feet have been in just to go to the front desk and get my room key.  Or, after showering (I know it's not a real shower) and putting on clean socks to have put on used slippers.

Can anyone provide some detail?

Thanks!

Last yr. it was required that you take your boots off.  They offer crocks to guests.

Pourvoirie Beauregard on 53 North of Mekoos has the same requirement but not as strict with crochet slippers.

Both very nice w/great cabins.

Keep in mind that these establishments wouldn't  stay as nice as they are without the rules. We all know that a certain handful of ppl. don't respect others property and would track anything in without bothering to kick the snow/ice/mud off.

Edited by doonali

I've been there many times, First visit in 1996. 'Boots Off In The Entryway' was the rule and it continues as new owners have taken over. Take a pair of heavy socks with you if the slippers are not your style . The cabins are pretty nice and the food has always been good. The current owners are very nice even though not overly gracious. I would stay there without hesitation.

In late March of '93, two buddies and myself were heading from Senneterre towards Clova for the first time and came across this little hut that looked like a trapper's shack in the middle of nowhere, and it had a sign advertising that hot chocolate and coffee were available.  We thought "what the hell" and stopped in to warm up.  The fellow inside spoke with a weird French accent (turned out to be Belgian) and, after pouring the hot chocolate, proceeded to unroll a set of blueprints that he was very excited about.  The plans looked like a sort of mini, but not that mini, Chateau Montebello.  We're thinking "yeah, right ...." and, after thanking him for the hospitality, pulled a kind of "back away slowly .. avoid unnecessary eye contact" manoeuvre.  Much eye-rolling once we got outside of the shack.

Apparently, by that October, the whole thing was up and running!  We stayed there once in 2006.  The hosts at the time, an older Belgian woman and her male sidekick, were correct, not overly gracious, and the food was very good, and the accommodation very good.  I don't remember any "no boots edict".  When the 'doo dealer in Val-D'or heard we had stayed there, he asked what the attitude at Balbuzard had been.  We said it was ok.  He said, that's because we're English speaking.  Apparently, being European, they had little time for French Quebecers whom they looked down upon.  Keep in mind, though, that this was all many years ago and I've heard a lot of good things recently.

Edited by Gullyrider

We spent a night there last season and the rumors are correct. No shoes. Didn't bother me or anyone else in our group. I walked around in socks, others carried shoes from room. 

No biggie. Really nice place.

O

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Florida Snowman said:

Bad news. Closed this winter. This place is needed for fuel top offs and/or lodging if people don’t fill in Clova or Lac Faillon and don’t carry extra fuel. 

B814045C-2110-42A4-BBE2-BD747F45F73C.thumb.png.1219962a2a3b4be5fbd027439fbd20bb.png

Also a useful resource if u r prepared but go off the trail, lol.

8 hours ago, smclelan said:

I have never stayed there but is an important fuel stop. 

As long as Lac Faillon is open for gas it’s not an issue. 

Gas in Clova then Faillon or going east vice versa. 

A man’s got to know his limitations. 

After the fire and loss of Forsythe certainly its a whole new ballgame. That said its not a trail to be taken lightly and must be respected as you are truly alone out there. It’s not a trail to go ride in a storm and if you ride and don’t check things like the weather before you head out then you are not so smart. Also after a storm while breaking trail may be fun for a while, that is not the trail to do it on with the limited gas stops. The forest is growing back but many parts are still like a moonscape and finding the trail after a dump of snow can be quite challenging. 

83 headed out to Sebeterre is a trail to ride mid to late season not early. But do whatever you want. 

Been there done that and even got the t-shirt. Take it for what it is worth.

Edited by iceman

1 hour ago, iceman said:

After the fire and loss of Forsythe certainly its a whole new ballgame. That said its not a trail to be taken lightly and must be respected as you are truly alone out there. It’s not a trail to go ride in a storm and if you ride and don’t check things like the weather before you head out then you are not so smart. Also after a storm while breaking trail may be fun for a while, that is not the trail to do it on with the limited gas stops. The forest is growing back but many parts are still like a moonscape and finding the trail after a dump of snow can be quite challenging. 

83 headed out to Sebeterre is a trail to ride mid to late season not early. But do whatever you want. 

Yep!

2 hours ago, iceman said:

Well said!

Forsythe has been gone a long, long time.  The lodge was awesome, the trailers you slept in not so much.  It was convenient for gas and being in the middle of Balbuzard and Lac Faillion it was perfect.  Balbuzard was hit or miss, no great loss IMHO.  As Don said, the moonscape can be a challenge.  Windblown to dirt in 1 corner and a 20 foot drift in the other.  Later in the year is better for sure.  Unforgiving place if you have an issue.  The closet road and town is not that close.

Edited by markusvt