Témiscamingue region trip

stupe

I've tried to plan a 4-5 day trip in the Temiscaminque region for a few years now and I always chicken out. Been riding Eastern Quebec for 20 years but never Western.  Wanted to start around Maniwaki and head toward Val-d'or (Forestel).  Not sure what direction to go but I've been through Parent before and there doesn't seem like anything is there (nothing worth staying at but maybe I'm wrong).  Not sure what my options are around that area.  Going the other direction there doesn't seem like anyplace to stay at other than Verendyre but that's only 150 miles away which is too close (might be good for a short run on the last day back to the trucks).  Anything else seems too far away for one day (287 miles to Val-d'or).   I hear the riding is great out that way but I'm struggling with the planning.  Lodging and gas seems scarce out that way.  Looking for wide fast trails which that area is known for.  As I've gotten older I tend to stay at nice places with good food, which is probably why I migrate back to what I'm familiar with.  I think I'm talking myself out of this trip again... lol  If you've done this loop before and have some suggestions for staying in the Parent area I'm all ears.

image.png.3632596888e85647d665f6cb3aa87e25.png

I've ridden this loop/area many times from Maniwaki. What's your ideal daily mileage?

10 hours ago, stupe said:

I've tried to plan a 4-5 day trip in the Temiscaminque region for a few years now and I always chicken out. Been riding Eastern Quebec for 20 years but never Western.  Wanted to start around Maniwaki and head toward Val-d'or (Forestel).  Not sure what direction to go but I've been through Parent before and there doesn't seem like anything is there (nothing worth staying at but maybe I'm wrong).  Not sure what my options are around that area.  Going the other direction there doesn't seem like anyplace to stay at other than Verendyre but that's only 150 miles away which is too close (might be good for a short run on the last day back to the trucks).  Anything else seems too far away for one day (287 miles to Val-d'or).   I hear the riding is great out that way but I'm struggling with the planning.  Lodging and gas seems scarce out that way.  Looking for wide fast trails which that area is known for.  As I've gotten older I tend to stay at nice places with good food, which is probably why I migrate back to what I'm familiar with.  I think I'm talking myself out of this trip again... lol  If you've done this loop before and have some suggestions for staying in the Parent area I'm all ears.

image.png.3632596888e85647d665f6cb3aa87e25.png

I've ridden this loop/area many times from Maniwaki. What is your ideal daily mileage?

I try to keep it under 225 because the group sometimes grows to 10+ guys.  175 - 200 would be ideal.  But if the trails are fast, then 250 is do-able.  Is Maniwaki a good launching point?  I've been up through Mont-Laurier and up 13 but never West of that so I'm not familiar with hotels. 

Domaine L'Ombre du Vent is in Parent and it's a great place to stay. Very nice. Very clean. Sleeps 5 or more easily. Price is very attractive. Beds are rock hard but other than that I can't complain about a thing. See pictures attached.

http://www.ombreduvent.com/home.html

Food around Parent? eh. Not a lot of choices for a fine dining meal but you can find something at Hotel Central right in town that'll fill your belly.

I did the exact same loop you are thinking about doing 2 years ago. Did it in 3 days. If you wanted to break it up more I think Pourvoirie Fer A Cheval looked like a decent place to stay. I heard Hotel Tamarac in Clova may be open again, the school house in Clova I also heard is nice. And I've heard Pavillon La Verendrye is an ok place to stay. When I was there it didn't look like much for sleeping accommodations but I didn't stay so don't take my word on it. 

Good luck and have fun. It's an awesome loop that'll take you out in the middle of god's country!

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG

P1090169.JPG

12 minutes ago, stupe said:

I try to keep it under 225 because the group sometimes grows to 10+ guys.  175 - 200 would be ideal.  But if the trails are fast, then 250 is do-able.  Is Maniwaki a good launching point?  I've been up through Mont-Laurier and up 13 but never West of that so I'm not familiar with hotels. 

Auberge Du Draveur is a fine starting point in Maniwaki. No point in driving farther than necessary. From Lake George you are about a 6 hour drive from there. You may want to check and see what conditions are like in the area if you are thinking about going soon. I know they just had a storm come through earlier this week but up until then I had not seen a lot of grooming activity in the area. 

4 hours ago, doonali said:

I've ridden this loop/area many times from Maniwaki. What's your ideal daily mileage?

Maybe something like this?

Maniwaki to 100 lacs = 160mi and you could add a few mi. around Mt. Diablo if wanted.

100 lacs to Lac Faillon = 215mi with fuel in Clova and Balbuzard

Lac Faillon to La Verendrye Lodge =175mi with fuel in Louvicourt and Kikcisakik

La Verendrye to Maniwaki =155 with fuel at La Domaine and again you could add a few miles of 322 etc.

Edited by doonali

What about getting the folks going day two after an adult beverage or two ?

Oooffff a group of 10+. You are certainly a better man than me. That’s way too many for me. Best of Luck, great area and you got some solid advice above. Next trip although it’s more black trail in truck, we trailer right to Val d’Or gives us all the days right where we want to be. Can’t beat it. What’s 2 more hours when you are driving 6 anyway? 

2 minutes ago, smclelan said:

For all those thinking about it but not saying anything.....a 10 person group! Terrifying!!  LOL

You got that right.

better to split into 2 or 3 smaller groups and do it like that. 

Edited by iceman

Yeah I hear ya.  Been doing this ring leader gig for many years now.  I'll do a couple more trips this year with only 3-4 guys.  Then we can do big miles.  2 years ago we did this loop with 12 guys and I was expecting the worst.  It never got above -5F every day and we managed without a hitch. Couldn't believe it.  Couple of shield issues, hangovers every day, sleds that wouldn't start, but nothing we couldn't handle.  All experienced riders. I think it was so cold that nobody else was out riding.  Makes the adventure that much crazier.    

We did split up into two groups a few times.  We have a system.  The hardest part is in busy areas when you come onto slower traffic.  Half the group passes but the other half doesn't, next intersection, slow group goes by again.  That gets annoying. 

IMG_3955.PNG

took 11 guys , ONCE!! First day, 1 mile into the trip, out on the lake, Vinny's brother seizes his 583 rotax, dirty carbs. 2 .5 hour delay to get a rental and leave his for new cylinders and repairs. While were are doing this Brian is jumping snow banks in the parking lot, and looses a contact lens, I am getting heart burn at this point. We are finally on the trail and things are going well when I realize there is no one behind me, 60 miles out, now playing the waiting game, now going back to find everyone 2 miles back, taking a break and smoking. Soon I realize we are down a sled but everyone is present. WTF!!! Chuck missed a turn, jumped of and his borrowed brothers sled is down a ledge on the side of a pond in a 10 foot drift. 2 hrs later it is out and not a scratch on it, but now Chuck will not go over 40mph#%$&^!!@#!! Day 1 10 hours 85 miles and I am still smiling but seriously wondering what I am being punished for.I spend the night trying to figure out how I can salvage the trip and my mind and remain friends with all these guys.We ended up doing 650 miles in 5 days, these guys still talk about how great it was, we are still all friends, it was a once in a lifetime trip for them. God bless you and I hope you guys have a great ride, go with the flow and keep smiling.

Lol! I love these stories.  I have a ton.  Few totaled sleds, blown track, failed stators, blown chain case, you name it.  Someone should start a thread of trip disasters.  I'm sure every one has a good story. 

Anyone remember these maps?  No GPS, no cell phone, send it!

IMG_6937.JPG

Basically back in the late 80,s many of us discovered Quebec by the seat of our pants.I use to travel on 1200 mile trips, alone looking at what maps were available and wondering where I would end up. Looking back, realizing we were riding 440 fan cooled yamaha exciters then 540 v-max sleds, we were really taking our lives in our hands, but it was so much fun, we were too young to be smart.I still remember finding Le Cabanon, a one room stop, dennis pumped gas, cooked and ran the counter alone, in the mid 80's. We rode fron St donat to baskatong and to valdor then parent 2 of us on 600 pogo stick yamahas, 2 weeks in the bush, way before this became a great network.Probably what kept us coming back was all the amazing canadian people out in the bush who befriended us and lent a hand or a nights stay, food and gas even when we had a language barrier.It left an impression on us that has never gone away. Once I left a back pack in clova, discovered that at 100 lacs, made the call and a gentleman from Ontario brought it to me the next day, his name was Bob Morton. 2500 dollars, truck keys, passport, phone , wallet, etc.Try and get that back on a trip to New Jersey, like I have said many times on this forum, the Canadian hospitality on the trail is second to none, met some of the nicest people on this forum and the trail!!

10 guys to many? We have had 6 trips of 50 guys for 3 days with 600 miles total. Always in the valdor area. Prepaid all rooms and meals and a support truck to carry luggage and pickup the scrap. Lots of Quebec rider members have seen us on route or in restaurants. Almost no problems, but the secret was to have everything paid in advance and give everyone 0 options of any kind.We took quite a few novice tourers with us but the absolute fear of getting lost made them all keep up. On the trails by 800. am and every one in by 400.. just saying this area has super Hwy trails,no traffic,lots of hotels and for the most part the road is always close to the trail. 10 too many? we could probably add your 10 to our 50 and still make it work, . for sure an adventure we all talk about for years to come.

3 hours ago, kmkm said:

10 guys to many? We have had 6 trips of 50 guys for 3 days with 600 miles total. Always in the valdor area. Prepaid all rooms and meals and a support truck to carry luggage and pickup the scrap. Lots of Quebec rider members have seen us on route or in restaurants. Almost no problems, but the secret was to have everything paid in advance and give everyone 0 options of any kind.We took quite a few novice tourers with us but the absolute fear of getting lost made them all keep up. On the trails by 800. am and every one in by 400.. just saying this area has super Hwy trails,no traffic,lots of hotels and for the most part the road is always close to the trail. 10 too many? we could probably add your 10 to our 50 and still make it work, . for sure an adventure we all talk about for years to come.

Let me know when you are doing it again so I can be somewhere else. Thanks. 

On 2018-01-26 at 5:07 AM, kmkm said:

I’ve heard about those trips from guys I knew who went on them back in the day.Wasn’t it called the “Devils Tour”!

I think there are a few bars of “Danseurs” that have gone out business because that tour has stopped! Lol

• 1 month later...

Quick update to this 4 day trip.  Launched from Fontbrune (Baskatong res area) and took the scenic way to 100 lacs.  From there to Balbuzard (was renamed ball-buster by the time we left).  Good times there.  From there to Senneterre to buy some more belts but the dealer closed 15 minutes before we got there.  Damn.  Off to La Verendyre for the night.  83 was perfect, 386 desperately needs a groomer and 63 to Le Domaine could use one too.  Problems with the club we were told, been two weeks since its been groomed.  After Le Domaine it was perfect all the way to FontBrune.  Saw 4 sleds (2 Doos, 2 Poos) from NY at the intersection of 83 and 13 near Parent but they took off before I could say anything.

No problems other than belt issues.  My 800 blew a belt with 400 miles on it. (previous belt lasted 1500 miles).  Buddies 850 blew 2 belts this trip.  One with 700 miles on it (which cleanly blew out the bottom of his belly pan at 100mph) the other belt with 400 miles on it.  Other buddy's 1200 blew his belt with 700 miles on it.  I'm guessing its directly related to the throttle position.  The 800 and 850 consistently got 10mpg, the 1200 got 11mpg, the 900 ACE pulling up the rear got 17-18mpg.  My 800 ran out of gas at exactly 101 miles (we all carried extra).  Nearly out of spare belts we took it easy the rest of the way (tried to anyway).  Plenty of snow everywhere we went.  

And Stupe, don't forget to mention as a warning to everyone on QR, the northern end (beginning) of 386 is outright dangerous...those steep hills or rises are very steep drops of 20 feet or more and almost vertical on the other side, even at 20 mph you will become airborne and not likely land well, I bring up the rear in Stupe's trips as I just don't ride very fast and I had 2 bad landings before I started to just creep over them. These places desperately need some warning signs or grading. I am not one to over exaggerate but it is BAD !!!

Edited by snowdogs

On 3/5/2018 at 7:19 PM, snowdogs said:

And Stupe, don't forget to mention as a warning to everyone on QR, the northern end (beginning) of 386 is outright dangerous...those steep hills or rises are very steep drops of 20 feet or more and almost vertical on the other side, even at 20 mph you will become airborne and not likely land well, I bring up the rear in Stupe's trips as I just don't ride very fast and I had 2 bad landings before I started to just creep over them. These places desperately need some warning signs or grading. I am not one to over exaggerate but it is BAD !!!

Love that part of the trail. But yeah they do need warning signs. I'm surprised no one has gotten seriously injured on that part of the trail.

What about the dogs at Kitsicakik? Pain in the asses!!