Why do so few ride Cote Nord?

Grampsledder

Planning a trip from Tadoussac/Escomins to Sept Iles in early March.  We've gotten good reviews on the area-hear it is beautiful.   If so, why do so few ride this region?   We've read many of the reports from previous years and we're still wondering why.  Appreciate your commments.   

3 hours ago, Pipeman said:

I think the biggest reason is because it’s largely one route up, same route back no way to make a nice big loop unless you take the ferry across at Godbout to the Gaspesie. 

X2 we did it to Sept Iles last year and I cannot wait to go back, I believe a trail is entirely different going the other direction. 

weather permitting, that is the most important part, made it half way 6 years ago, got in a big storm and allowed my 2 riding partners to talk me into turning back, it was a good idea, be ready for big weather, be prepared and have fun.

15 hours ago, markusvt said:

Sept Isle and back is easy, its somewhere after that the real adventure begins. :rolleyes:

The huge  moonscape power-line with no stakes. Just little orange ribbons , if you could fine them.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:35 PM, Phil 1 said:

X2 we did it to Sept Iles last year and I cannot wait to go back, I believe a trail is entirely different going the other direction. 

X3!  All the lefts become rights & visa versa!  And all the ups become downs & visa versa! 

I've only done 6 days, 3 each way, but it's a great ride out there & back!  

This is what we expected-great scenery but the weather can change everything.  It will be enough of an adventure to make Sept Iles and back.   Planning to start/end at the Richelieu for the wives.  We’ve done the Gaspe 7 times and know flexibility w/storms.   Hear the scenery is similar.   We’ll read about “real” adventures in this forum.   Thanks for the comments.   Looking forward to it. 

On 1/28/2018 at 2:36 PM, Grampsledder said:

Do you recommend hotel reservations? Our group will need 4 rooms each night.

Gramps, you should be fine, but still not a bad idea when doing a couples ride to make reservations, particularly on weekends. Landing in to town on a late afternoon, and no rooms,  tends to make for lively conversations with the better half that evening when you do finally find a place to stay😉

You will enjoy that trip

RR

2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Gramps, you should be fine, but still not a bad idea when doing a couples ride to make reservations, particularly on weekends. Landing in to town on a late afternoon, and no rooms,  tends to make for lively conversations with the better half that evening when you do finally find a place to stay😉

You will enjoy that trip

RR

Yes.   We do like to know there is a place for us.   Hoping we could wait until the week before we leave so we don't have to rebook due to weather.   Sounds like that plan should work.   

24 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

I went up to the Cote Nord 3 times last season, got hooked after the first. Certainly like 603 said after the Mosey river east of Sept Isles is where it gets interesting. 

“Interesting”is an understatement, especially after big new snow. 

On 1/26/2018 at 10:28 AM, Grampsledder said:

Planning a trip from Tadoussac/Escomins to Sept Iles in early March.  We've gotten good reviews on the area-hear it is beautiful.   If so, why do so few ride this region?   We've read many of the reports from previous years and we're still wondering why.  Appreciate your commments.   

6 of us departing from Baie St Paul on Feb 12 with destination -planned- as the end Q3. (Give or take 50 mi east of Havre St Pierre). Keeping our schedule flexible -to say the least. Should be an adventure!

Plans are to stay in Forestville,  Port Cartier and Harve St Pierry in both directions.

I'll provide conditions best I can during or soon after.

O