Favorite Gaspe Accomodations

Riverdriver

You tell me yours and I’ll tell you mine.

After several trips to the Gaspe over the years there are a couple of accommodations that stand out with us. They are of the B&B variety and stand out particularly because of the people who operate them as well as the quality of their facilities.

We are what you might call mature travelers between 55-65 and are looking for quiet comfortable places the stay where we can learn from the folks who run them more about the area and their life style. We started to migrate from motels and their packages to smaller B&Bs because of the great experiences we had in places like these:

The Green House (La Mason Verte) at Cross Point (Point-a-la- Croix), 1-866-788-2342:

We have started several trips at Cross Point and have found this place a great place to start and finish. The rooms are first rate and the living room areas in the basement suite is large enough for a group of 6-10 to congregate for the evening. This is a B&B so you have to eat dinner at a nearby restaurant or have pizza brought in.

What really makes the place stand out is the owner, Andre DesRochers. He goes out of his way to make your stay memorable and your trip a great experience. He is knowledgeable of the area and has great suggestions.

You can keep your vehicles in his back yard and not worry about loosing them. Even more importantly, Andre will drive your vehicle to pick you up if you have a break-down or bad weather on the trip for a moderate fee. If your leading a trip around the Gaspe, there is some real peace-of-mind knowing you have this kind of support should there be problems. We had to use Andre’s service this year and it saved us several hundred dollars.

Andre’s wife, Marie makes a great unique breakfast and keeps a spotless facility. It’s our home base when we are on the Gaspe.

Tranquil Acres (Les Acres Tranquilles) at Port Daniel West, 1-866-302-3491: This is a convenient place to stay about 150 miles east of Cross Point.

We knew we were welcome when we hit their freshly groomed trail right to the back door and we really felt welcome when we gathered around the wood stove in their toasty kitchen.

Myra and Normand Roussy have converted and old farm house into a B&B that is located right on the bay. Both of them speak fluent English and are great hosts and work hard to make you stay enjoyable. Normand is a farmer, lobsterman, barber and jack of all trades and is very knowledgeable of the area and willing to share his stories and experiences. Myra is a gracious host who runs the place and is and an excellent cook. We opted for both dinner and breakfast and are glad we did…..its like visiting old friends.

Both of them have turned their facility into a showplace of their handiwork, talent and common sense. It’s worth stopping by just to tour the house and visit the animals in the barn. If you want to get a sense of what it’s like to live on the Gaspe, this is the place to stop.

You don’t have to beat around back streets to get there, nor do you have to worry about locking up your sled. We envy the lifestyle of this wonderful couple.

Sounds like you have found a home away from home! What a great way to sled in Gaspe. Anytime you can spend time with the locals and share good talk and home cooked food beats the heck out of any Hotel.

The first trip I made to Gaspe (I think it was winter 2000) we ended up in a bad snow storm on the St. Lawrence side and really did not know where we were going. Ended up in Reviere-Madeleine and the only hotel in town was full (I think it has 2 or 3 rooms). We knew there was still fire in the woodstove and a couple couches in the club house about 10 miles back but we here cold, hungry, and tired. We decided to stay for supper and while we were enjoying a great meal the hotel owner made a couple phone calls and found a home in town with a couple spare beds. They took 2 strangers in for the night, offered us to use the shower and telephone. Wonderfull people in the Gaspe. Always eager to help and very friendly. One of my favorite places to sled.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new favorite place to stay. I have been sledding in the Gaspe for over 10 yrs now and have likely stay at 80% of the motel around the pennisula at one time or another. However this past week a group of us went up and stayed at the Camp Haute Madeleline found just east of the northern end of the 597. This is a fishing an hunting outfitter that is equipped to take sledders in the winter. The package is more expensive than any other I have taken but it is worth every cent. The food is better than excellent and as much as you want to eat. This is breakfast and supper. We landed early 3:00pm, so we dropped our saddlebags and went for a local tour before supper that we asked to have ready for 7:30pm. When we got back around 6:00pm they landed 10 min later with two big platters of brussetta. Now I am not saying I have fancy taste but it sure tasted good right then. The cabins were very nice and slept up to seven people. The location was right on the edge of a lake, very, very pretty spot.

I have a new favorite place to stay. I have been sledding in the Gaspe for over 10 yrs now and have likely stay at 80% of the motel around the pennisula at one time or another. However this past week a group of us went up and stayed at the Camp Haute Madeleline found just east of the northern end of the 597. This is a fishing an hunting outfitter that is equipped to take sledders in the winter. The package is more expensive than any other I have taken but it is worth every cent. The food is better than excellent and as much as you want to eat. This is breakfast and supper. We landed early 3:00pm, so we dropped our saddlebags and went for a local tour before supper that we asked to have ready for 7:30pm. When we got back around 6:00pm they landed 10 min later with two big platters of brussetta. Now I am not saying I have fancy taste but it sure tasted good right then. The cabins were very nice and slept up to seven people. The location was right on the edge of a lake, very, very pretty spot.

SMC, My wife and I went in one afternoon last year and checked out this locations, it looked very comfortable, it did not work out this year to stay there but will definitely try it next year after your experience.

:good:

Thanks for the report

RR

• 2 years later...

Ran out of snow last week while running down the 595 to get lunch & gas at La Cache. Lucky for us there was a logging camp about 8 km north of La Cache just about where we ran out of snow. It is just east of a bridge. They sold us gas and a meal that I could not finish (and I was hungry). The lady that helped us out told us they have up to 10 beds they keep for sledders if they need a place to stay. Looks like a great place to stay and very reasonably priced. Home cooked meals fit for a lumber Jack! I wrote the phone # down and would be glad to share it to anyone that is interested. The place was very clean and the buildings (trailers) were modern and in good shape.

like you i have stayed in most of the motels around the gaspe at some point

this sounds good something diffrent thanks for the info i will try it

like you i have stayed in most of the motels around the gaspe at some point

this sounds good something diffrent thanks for the info i will try it

Check before you stop in, I was there this year and they are under new management. There were only open for fishing and hunting, but hoped to be open for sleds next winter.

Check before you stop in, I was there this year and they are under new management. There were only open for fishing and hunting, but hoped to be open for sleds next winter.

the place that im thinking of is next to the river ?