Conditions

Heverly hardwood

Hi, my name is dave and im new to the site. Lots of great info! Anyone know what conditions are like from lsj out to chibougamou?  Leaving st Raymond sat to stay at delta sat night. Loop around lake and looking for recommendations for a good place to watch Superbowl on sun either in roberval or st Felician and heading to chibougamou Mon morning. Thanks

Welcome Dave, you won’t find better intel on Quebec trails and anything else Quebec sled related anywhere else. 

I got no first hand info on 93 from La Dore to Chibougamau, according to grooming reports the bottom section La Dore to Scierie 54 says last groomed on Jan 11, (does not mean it’s bad,) who knows. From 54 to Chibougamau says last pass was January 22 so one week ago. 

St Felicien has Hotel Du Jardin   http://hoteldujardin.com/en

Roberval, probably better TV viewing here in bar at Hotel chateau Roberval   http://chateau-roberval.qc.ca/en

from Bankers trip report

Day 3 - Saturday 1/20 -  Roberval to Chibougamau. 373 North to Saint Felicien.  20 miles of pure torture.  Hind-sight is 20/20 for sure.  Everyone talks about the wind-blown fields around Roberval.  We know this and have seen it first hand in the past.  This was nothing we could have imagined.  Essentially no snow for much of the 20 miles (at least it was frozen).  I would call it impassable, but we did it.  If they didn’t get new snow with the last storm, I would not recommend this section.  In hind-sight we should have probably added a day and went around the lake to the East.  Funny when you’re in it – are we almost out of it, or should we turn around?  Oh well, the 20 mile mistake was behind us.  Fortunately, nobody overheated, and nobody broke anything.  We find snow in Saint Felicien, a quick apology to the sleds and on we go.  373 to La Dore, top off on gas and hit 93 North to the Saw Mill.  There was some grooming around Saint Felicien and La Dore, but as we headed North, no signs of a groomer.  We stop at the saw mill for gas and a quick snack and then on to Chibougamau.  Nothing groomed until we get closer to Chibougamau.  Into the Nordic for the night.  205 miles for the day.

Full trip report from Banker here

anything else ask away.

Heading up to Quebec tomorrow 2/1. Looking for some current trail conditions. We were thinking of doing the Gaspe loop but FCMQ website has the grooming last done over 72hrs.

St Raymond trails?  Saguenay?  LaTuque?  St Zenon?

How often does the FCMQ update the trail conditions.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Plenty of snow out on the Gaspe, and Saguenay as well, nice temps next week -10 to 10 f should keep things nice during the week, not much snow in the forecast, St Zenon is decent, not a lot on the ground but, they are very good at grooming, of course they get pummeled with high traffic weekends. East and North has the best snow!

1 hour ago, rcp1018 said:

Heading up to Quebec tomorrow 2/1. Looking for some current trail conditions. We were thinking of doing the Gaspe loop but FCMQ website has the grooming last done over 72hrs.

I wouldn't worry about the grooming....The new software there using this year is still a work in progress and the accuracy seems sub par at best.

2 hours ago, rcp1018 said:

Hi RCP......I have been told (in the past) that conditions were not too good and when we arrived the next day they were very good!

Remember that we are used to riding the Hill, so anything is better than that!

I few on here have just been to the Gaspe and reported good conditions, as well as LSJ so just pick your destination and enjoy.....

I dont have any days to take off so I am going to get my back beat this weekend just to ride for a day!! 

Hi Steve,  I just saw you said roberval was good.  I read a post earlier in the week that said the ride from north out of roberval towards st felicien was awful and all snow blown off. I'm assuming they got some new snow?  I was planning to stay at chateau roberval sun night but considered changing my plans when I read the post.  Any input appreciated.

4 hours ago, Heverly hardwood said:

Hi Steve,  I just saw you said roberval was good.  I read a post earlier in the week that said the ride from north out of roberval towards st felicien was awful and all snow blown off. I'm assuming they got some new snow?  I was planning to stay at chateau roberval sun night but considered changing my plans when I read the post.  Any input appreciated.

We stayed there Monday nite, came around the lake Jonquiere. They dont have tons of snow but what they have they were doing a great job. No bare spots anywhere around the lake. Last weeks storm seems to have filled in all the bare spots.Went from there to Relay 22, Awesome.

Edited by 800steve