Gaspe Trip Planning Questions

sledzz

Trying to plan a trip to Gapse beginning / mid March. Will be trailering to Rimouski and leaving from there. We would like to travel the north shore of Gaspe peninsula and also take in the Chic Choc Mountains. likely wont have time to do the south shore this time. I have a few questions:

1- clockwise or counter clockwise for best view / scenery?

2- is 250km a day a reasonable expectation for a husband and wife team that rides a a good pace - not fast but not painfully slow

3- Is beginning / mid March generally a good time for good snow conditions?

4- Any must see things or locations along this route / area?

5- Good, clean, sled friendly accommodations with a restaurant within the hotel or very close by.

Thanks for any information or input / experience you can provide. 

Sleddz

Edited by sledzz

How many days do you plan to ride? Once we know that can make recommendations.

250km a day will be fine although you may have to go further or less at any point depending on your route.

1st 2 weeks in March are usually good. Keep in mind the Gaspe has huge swings in weather at times. Will want to keep a eye on that week before trip.

We have done the loop 7 times, 6 days on the trail averaging 180 miles a day +/- .    It is a couples trip.    We prefer the north shore first but have done it both ways.  The mountains build in this direction making it an impressive run.   Your time will slow in this section so take that into consideration when planning.  We start and end at the Universel in Riviere-du-Loup so our hotels won't coincide with your plans.   We also like the Chic-Choc trail between Murdochville and La Cache.    It is 60 miles on a groomed trail but it has nothing on it.   On a clear day the view of the Chic Chocs from the  Murdochville end is great.   We went the first week in March last year and had great weather and lots of snow but as noted, it is variable.    Great trip.   

1 minute ago, Florida Snowman said:

Hang gliders jump from that spot in your second picture Phil.   I would love to be up there in the summer to watch that sometime.  Must be a beautiful drop!

There is a hang glider festival there the end of July every year, I have attended it twice. The whole town is filled with people, it it a great weekend party!!

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, sledzz said:

We were planning 5 days. Thx

Ok, this is what I came up with.

Day 1.  Rimouski to St Anne Des Monts Via trail #5. 250km. Never stayed there so others may help with where to stay.

Day 2. St Anne Des Monts to Murdochville Via 5 east, 597. 170km  Stay at Hotel Copper. (No frills only place in town)

Day 3. Murdochville to New Richmond via 597 to 5 West. 300km or via Orange trail, 595. 185km. Stay at Hotel Le Francis (get reservations, nice place)

Day 4. New Richmond to Matane via 595, 5 West. 260km. I always stayed at Riotel (nice place) Have to zig zag thru town, well signed.

Day 5. Matane to Rimouski 200km. Via 5, 591, 587. The mummies are off 587 just east of 579. I have coords if needed.

Edited by Snobeeler

On 1/30/2018 at 7:46 AM, sledzz said:

Trying to plan a trip to Gapse beginning / mid March.

1- clockwise or counter clockwise for best view / scenery?

Both great. If anyone hates heights do the north shore (thru Mt St Pierre etc) clockwise to be more on the "inside".

2- is 250km a day a reasonable expectation for a husband and wife team that rides a a good pace - not fast but not painfully slow

Perfect. There's a wide mix of twisties & rippers.

3- Is beginning / mid March generally a good time for good snow conditions?

Perfect. Watch for sudden weather/trail condition changes.

4- Any must see things or locations along this route / area?

Go downstairs at Hotel Copper to see the sled museum! Gotta see Perce Rock at least once, but if the bunny trail off of 5 is crap do it next time. Photos & trails by the "Mummies" & Radar golf-ball by Val-Brillant is worth the excursion. Bacon pizza with Groomer in Causapscal is heaven!

5- Good, clean, sled friendly accommodations with a restaurant within the hotel or very close by.

Easy.

Edited by PLAYHARD

there is also a sweet little b&b just before Mt St  Pierre, Turquoise Cafe, serve dinner and breakfast, have a small garage for your sleds, and it is located just behind the mercury vapor light house on the shore, it is inexpensive as well, a great find!!

2 hours ago, mcstar said:

On 587 west of TQ 5. going towards Rimouski.

Gramps, I am surprised, 7 loops and you have not been......now you have an excuse to do it again!!!

Never need an excuse.   Go every other year.   We've gone right by this spot.   This goes on the list next time.    Thanks for the info.