Apex xtx Star Suspension

Sledwhore

2 hours ago, Sledwhore said:

Hi guys ... Have an Apex XTX 2012.. was looking into the star suspension upgrade..anyone have it and can provide feedback?! Greatly appreciated..also, did you have the shocks revalved? If so front and or rear shocks ? Thanks a ton 

read a quite a few reports, as one of my sleds is the same as yours. supposed to be the cats meoo!  made right in good old quebec.ca.

4 hours ago, Sledwhore said:

Hi guys ... Have an Apex XTX 2012.. was looking into the star suspension upgrade..anyone have it and can provide feedback?! Greatly appreciated..also, did you have the shocks revalved? If so front and or rear shocks ? Thanks a ton 

Love my XTX with the Star kit. Both shocks in rear skid re-valved on mine and with a new spring on front shock in rear skid. Imho you need to do the shocks in the rear skid to optimize the Star KiT. 46,000km on mine. For me it’s the way to go. 

8 minutes ago, iceman said:

Love my XTX with the Star kit. Both shocks in rear skid re-valved on mine and with a new spring on front shock in rear skid. Imho you need to do the shocks in the rear skid to optimize the Star KiT. 46,000km on mine. For me it’s the way to go. 

Thank you! Wow 46000 km... Jeez I don't even drive that in my car! Lol thanks for the feedback! You also have an 18 Apex? How do you like compared to earlier models? I can't find one anywhere! :/

Let’s put it this way... I doubt I will ride my “old XTX” very much. The new front shock setup really works. I don’t love the single shot rear skid but we are getting along ok. 

Flat cornering, it rails the corners with the Yamaha Tuner skis. 

On 2/3/2018 at 12:32 AM, iceman said:

Let’s put it this way... I doubt I will ride my “old XTX” very much. The new front shock setup really works. I don’t love the single shot rear skid but we are getting along ok. 

Flat cornering, it rails the corners with the Yamaha Tuner skis. 

Ice, I have the ‘16 XTX the first year for the air shock. Had an issue from day one finding the happy medium between being way too stiff for me (165 lbs) and too much sag that it had little travel. Last year in the middle of the 2nd season on it it lost all air on the 3rd day of a week long trip to Northern Maine. Yamaha was upgrading the ‘17 sleds for free to the newer air shock which has a much bigger and piggyback reservoir. Lucky for me Gary’s Yamaha in Caribou had the upgraded shock there for a customer who had a 2017 and opted for the free upgrade. He called the customer and the guy said to sell it to me and helped me out. Only rode it 3 days but waaaaay better ride, I really liked it but now I feared this too could fail, maybe in the middle of a saddlebag trip far from a dealer so I put the Elka in the rear skid this fall. Rode the Elka for a week on the Gaspe and I love it, great choice. If you know anyone that wants an air shock I have the upgraded version with less than 500 miles on it and the original but that one would need to be rebuilt