850 Backcountry 2018

iceman

I've read Guys thinking it is geared too short, 40" width is too narrow, switches on console as opposed to handle bars is a problem, vicious darting. I understand this is a compromise sled and have read that it is slighted to off trail and is not a truly a 50/50 sled. 

Above are not my words. Everyone has an opinion mine being if Snohorse did 302 miles keeping up with Ice on a what I can only imagined  is a vicious Apex there is little validity to the above statements. Please post a pix of the BCX I just love the Smurf Blue, black is OK but I've gone to the most colorful sled available in the model I want.

Thanks Ice and Sno. 

Cool sled ! 

Snohorse make any changes to make it more of a trail sled ?  Front springs , limiter strap , Skis/carbide, Studs on that 1.6 cobra or running her bare ass ? How much more Jack can you carry on that longer tunnel :-). 

Cheers,  enjoy the ride guys ! 

Randy

OK, the 850 has a slightly narrower ski stance, less than an inch between it and the renegade, it has different skis, shorter than the renegade, my buddy hated his ski doo skis on the 850 renegade and went with C&A. I put 8" of carbide on my back country, it works quite well. Yes having the switches on the dash rather than the bar, thought it was crazy, but no big deal. Ski doo had guys with the adjustable columns thinking that wires would wear with all the movement so wanted to get as much wiring out of there as possible with all the risers being installed, fair enough, we will live with it.It runs the trail exceptionally well, not planted like my Yamaha, but you are not tired at the end of the day. They really nailed the seating position, and the high windshield is nice. the clutch cover is redesigned to run the clutch cooler, and guys are pulling the insulation out and putting a few vents in it as well. Their are some nice snow dust proof side panel vent kits to further reduce heat and help belt life, which is now a non issue.Only guys off trail really running them to the bar are having trouble, that is normal.It is geared a tad lower with the 1.6 trak, but the 2 and 3 inch tracks are geared pretty low. fuel mileage and oil consumption is quite good, but this is 165 hp, you control the fuel mileage with your thumb.You will love this sled, especially when you are 3 days into the bush and you wake up to 10 inches of fresh, ungroomed trail.I have been riding since 1966, lost count of all the sleds I have ridden, I just left Yamaha 4-strokes for this sled, and I love those Yamahas, they may be heavy, but they are the best built, fit and finish, and the motors are sweet and bullet proof.The Ski-doo is a very nice sled, probably not as reliable as Yamaha, apex or Rx warrior, or Vector, but it does handle better, do not like adding oil, and I bought the 4 year transferable warranty, because it is not a Yamaha, but do not listen to all the folks picking it all apart, many people have already run 2-3 k with no problems. BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER!! Every one has a different dog at home and they all love their dog.

12 hours ago, Pipeman said:

Any idea of miles per quart of oil?  Does it come with a turbo?  ( first question is serious ).  

Break in was 102 miles to a quart i believe. 

7 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

I've read Guys thinking it is geared too short, 40" width is too narrow, switches on console as opposed to handle bars is a problem, vicious darting. I understand this is a compromise sled and have read that it is slighted to off trail and is not a truly a 50/50 sled. 

Above are not my words. Everyone has an opinion mine being if Snohorse did 302 miles keeping up with Ice on a what I can only imagined  is a vicious Apex there is little validity to the above statements. Please post a pix of the BCX I just love the Smurf Blue, black is OK but I've gone to the most colorful sled available in the model I want.

Thanks Ice and Sno. 

Those statements do no relate to this BCX. Switches not a problem, coming from the fully loaded Enduro he was not sure but he is ok with it. 

His is black with the neon yellow spindles and skid accents. Not smurf blue

5 hours ago, dooright said:

Cool sled ! 

Snohorse make any changes to make it more of a trail sled ?  Front springs , limiter strap , Skis/carbide, Studs on that 1.6 cobra or running her bare ass ? How much more Jack can you carry on that longer tunnel :-). 

Cheers,  enjoy the ride guys ! 

Randy

No changes, it has the 1.6 ice cobra which is pre studded. Lots of jack. He carries one 4 gallon jerry can of oil and one 3 gallon of gas. 

4 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Ski doo had guys with the adjustable columns thinking that wires would wear with all the movement so wanted to get as much wiring out of there as possible with all the risers being installed, fair enough, we will live with it.

Not really, mountain guys have been relocating everything off the bars even the kill switch for awhile now.

It's less things to break when rolling the sled over and from tree branches also keeps them out of the way when hoping from one side of the sled to the other and grabbing the strap, but most accomplished riders don't use the strap.

Edited by gun-driver

• 2 weeks later...

Love my SKI-doo's. This sled is my 14 th new one since coming to Quebec. Came off a 2016 Enduro . Great handling sled with all the bells and whistles. R-Motion skid and TS skies.

The only bad choice was the power plant 1200 4-TEC and electronic throttle. Had good star off snap and mid range but no long legs only 130 HP. Throttle too sensitive on ditch banging.

The worste was in snow storms the snow would pack @ hinge of flapper and restrict it. Enough with that.

BCX 650 with it's new CMotion skid is awesome featuring the tip rail the 146 track corners  better than the 137.  I adapted to the DS stock skies and ran them well. For sure a aggressive trail ridding sled if you care to take part. Ran spindle spacer at the widest setting. Looking at putting a set of TS skies on her. Like the toggle switches on console great with my mitten gloves. Running the high windshield with wind deflectors, Clear stock hand guards and hands plenty warm. Last run out was very cold. The mountain loop strap i left on to hang my helmet on. The 165 HP is a must have option. I can ride @ 70MH and at a rise in trail whack it and the front end floats right up. Oil on last trip getting 160 miles per liter. Oil is consumed as how you ride the throttle. ICEman and I figured out best mileage running SUPER. 2800 miles on her now only had to change chain oil and adjust slack. My opinion this seld has a lot of fun factor !! Four year spring check warranty. I am going to run it.

One other note. The seat is great for touring. Rode one day 327 miles PERFECT !

Edited by Snohorse

Met you and iceman on the m20, I am riding the same sled, really love it, it has better gearing and clutching than the renegade 137 as well, acceleration is pretty impressive, I bought the 4 year warranty as well, I have those ts skis for you if you want them let me know, Bob.