Breakdown Lac St. Jean / Saint Raymond

sledzz

On 2/6/2018 at 12:46 PM, Fuse6 said:

Here's a picture of what Sledwhore suggested. Never seen it done until last year on our Gaspe trip. The newest sled in the fleet of 8 died on trail 597 heading from Chandler to Murdochville. Veteran rider in our group backed up tight to the down sled, tied the ski loop off tight to his bumper. Owner of dead sled jump on the back of another sled and off we went. I rode in front to warn any on coming riders as you are pulling the machine offset so likely 6 feet wide. He hauled that machine at 50-60 mph on the flat running.

The owner of the Polaris that did the towing is good buddies with his Polaris dealer. When we arrived at Murdochville I said you better send a picture of you pulling that new Ski-doo to your buddy. Just smiled and said "I already have".

In this case I had left the keys for my truck and trailer with the Mont Joli Motel, which I think it  Iceman had suggested for their rescue service. 

Maintenance guy from the motel drove 3.5 hours through a snow storm to Murdochville, then back to Mont Joli. Charged our guy $150.00 for his 8 hours of time. Ended up the problem was the Dess Module.

Tow Sled.jpg

thre is a system made by sno-bunji for $19.95 that works slick.image.png.c21504dbe0f7b70c3edaeffaae500836.png

On 2/6/2018 at 12:46 PM, Fuse6 said:

Here's a picture of what Sledwhore suggested. Never seen it done until last year on our Gaspe trip. The newest sled in the fleet of 8 died on trail 597 heading from Chandler to Murdochville. Veteran rider in our group backed up tight to the down sled, tied the ski loop off tight to his bumper. Owner of dead sled jump on the back of another sled and off we went. I rode in front to warn any on coming riders as you are pulling the machine offset so likely 6 feet wide. He hauled that machine at 50-60 mph on the flat running.

The owner of the Polaris that did the towing is good buddies with his Polaris dealer. When we arrived at Murdochville I said you better send a picture of you pulling that new Ski-doo to your buddy. Just smiled and said "I already have".

In this case I had left the keys for my truck and trailer with the Mont Joli Motel, which I think it  Iceman had suggested for their rescue service. 

Maintenance guy from the motel drove 3.5 hours through a snow storm to Murdochville, then back to Mont Joli. Charged our guy $150.00 for his 8 hours of time. Ended up the problem was the Dess Module.

Tow Sled.jpg

thre is a system made by sno-bunji for $19.95 that works slick.image.png.c21504dbe0f7b70c3edaeffaae500836.png

REALLY??? Think 2 tow straps would do the same thing and still be able to use it for other purposes...I've only used one ski strapping the ski loop fast to the bumper...guess two makes sense...kinda think this sno-bunji setup may still let the following sled rear end the front sled when stopping.

22 hours ago, Sledwhore said:

REALLY??? Think 2 tow straps would do the same thing and still be able to use it for other purposes...I've only used one ski strapping the ski loop fast to the bumper...guess two makes sense...kinda think this sno-bunji setup may still let the following sled rear end the front sled when stopping.

I have used it to pull sleds and the towed sled follows right in line behind you, if you pull the ski tips up like they show you the sled won't rear end the front sled.

When I was in Yellowstone this is the system the rental company's used to retrieve their sleds.

On 2/6/2018 at 9:56 AM, Sledwhore said:

Ive found the best way to tow a dead sled..just tie the ski loop tight to the bumper of the tow sled..pull the belt and away u go..we've towed tons of sleds like that, hundreds of miles...nobody needs to be sucking fumes on the towed sled and u can fly...soooo much better than any other method...it also greatly saves the wear and tear on the belt of the sled doing the towing since your one solid unit.. u can get away with using just your waist belt if necessary..

Unfortunately I had chance to use this method on Thursday. Towed my wife’s machine 32 Miles in an hour and half with her on the back of my machine. It worked perfect ! Cruised at 35 mph most of the way. I had the dead machine on my left in the kill zone. Was kind of scary on the turns, luckily we only passed 6 sleds going the other way and none trying to pass.

C5842862-0607-4782-806A-D72F57628361.jpeg

8C62ABC5-1F87-4297-8F44-D27544AF3F82.jpeg

What if you strapped the skies along side the pulling sleds bumber and made a straight bar to connect to the towed sleds front bar and to the rear bar of the towing sled. Have to build a bracket on one of the sleds to carry it. Only my opinion 

10 hours ago, Sledwhore said:

No...no...no.... you'll kill someone like that....you have to tow it behind you.. not along side you!!!

Yea, I here ya . Not something I need to do again although it worked well. I ordered the Snowbunjie tow kit and hope not to need it .

8 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

What if you strapped the skies along side the pulling sleds bumber and made a straight bar to connect to the towed sleds front bar and to the rear bar of the towing sled. Have to build a bracket on one of the sleds to carry it. Only my opinion 

I used to pull them like that but i find some of the new designs of front bumpers are a bit weak. Had to pull my buddy this weekend and just hooked the a arms. The sno bunjie kit looks slick. May invest since i seem to always be the puller. I guess that’s better than being the other 

Came up on a group towing a sled  the other way near Saint Donat yesterday. They had the sled on a strap and rider aboard the sled being towed.

I’m going to get the Snow Bungie kit even though you could duplicate something similar with many different kinds of straps like my tow rope or bungie cords. 

Don't need a snow bungie kit if you know how to properly attach, I have done this several times when the 2 strokers were following me, ha ha ha. had to slip that one in, sorry guys. First off tie one end of the rope to the ski spindle then with the other end, follow along now, loop it through the ski loop from the inside to the outside then loop it through the tow vehicle bumper then back to the other ski loop, going through from the outside to the inside and onwards to the ski spindle. Keep the sleds close to each other in tow and the with rider of the broken down sled on the back of the towing sled adds for traction in tow also remember by keeping the sleds close in tow also adds for traction. Worst thing to do is to tow a sled 10 feet behind you.

Try it for fun then you know what to do when the time comes.

Edited by Trailblazer