Joliette/St-Côme Ice sculpture festival 3february2018

towing

A short relax ride this last weekend, a classic for us: go to see the ice sculptures in St-Côme. The 3 weeks festival is running  and will continue until February 11th. We went there by St-Jean de Matha trail and returned by St-Alphonse. Here is the trail path of the day for around 120 miles

carte_zpssaa1z8el.jpg

The snow conditions were good everywhere and the night had been very cold at -30C giving us very beautiful trails. Here on # 43 near home in St-Thomas de Joliette

DSC03235_zps2cg0eine.jpg

.Here on the Black River in St-jean de Matha close to BRP dealer Géro

DSC03265_zpssyecmq6t.jpg

The junction for trail #349 to Ste-Béatrix/St-Côme is located about3/4 mile further north than in past years

DSC03273_zpsqrqmw8hb.jpg

here a part of the new path that join the old route a bit farther

DSC03275_zpsyrt1xfbt.jpg

Here in the fields near Ste-Beatrix

DSC03281_zps8ewquqgw.jpg

In the mountains towards St-Côme

DSC03288_zpsma7r2kxl.jpg

DSC03294_zpsxxv9mif7.jpg

Having made a very late start around 10:30, we had took our lunch when we arrived at St-Côme at La Marguerite restaurant. The service and food were excellent 

DSC03299_zpstqikzh88.jpg

So after dinner, we took a good walk along the main street to admire this year's masterpieces. Here a beautiful old style pickup .

P1200549_zps5wlxedks.jpg

Even the dog carved in ice in the back.

P1200550_zpshbw4g5tc.jpg

Insects in St-Côme are huge, in summer and winter!

P1200577_zpstamclcnz.jpg

A lot of work to build this full size locomotive

P1200561_zpsyljwukga.jpg

but it is going strong...

DSC03338_zpslyeeu512.jpg

Here a scene with a mother bear and her 2 little kids (we see just one)

P1200572_zpshbwbr3pv.jpg

the details...

P1200571_zpsfsqfoqyp.jpg

The Ice Bar!

P1200556_zpslwi9clbl.jpg

A herd of horses

P1200602_zpswrhvzt53.jpg

The sculptors at work. Here to do the fur finish ..

DSC03324_zpsrrox0zbs.jpg

and carve the antlers

DSC03330_zpst9siszam.jpg

The result is simply amazing

P1200624_zpscf5vjoop.jpg

There are more that  you may have the pleasure of discovering if you go there for a ride 

For our part, going to St-Côme = pit stop at the village bakery to buy a sugar pie and cinnamon buns. Always as good as in our childhood.

P1200548_zpsq7t2qusd.jpg

We then took the trail again, the #343 direction Notre-Dame de la Merci

DSC03350_zpsfzv6rlgc.jpg

Here the Val St-Côme ski resort

DSC03355_zpswxpsb10y.jpg

We then came back by #43 trail, pretty tigh wood trail up to Ste-Marceline and than openup in fields of St-Ambroise up to home

We finally got back home for supper . A nice relax ride with beautiful scupltures to admire and as a bonus we had buns and sugar pie for supper dessert!

For those who would like to go to St-Côme, the festival continues throughout the week and the next weekend until February 11th.

Snow conditions are at their best, we had an other 5 inches of new stuff on sunday, we are really in the best of the season.

Bye!

Alain

Very nice Alain, thanks for sharing.  Those ice sculptures are amazing.

Next time get TWO sugar pies and invite me to dinner! It is my favorite.  Interestingly, the hotel I stay at took sugar pies off the menu a couple years ago as did Au Cage la Sports Restaurant. That has to be a crime in Quebec, right?

mike

Carvings are incredible Alain. Thanks for the pictures. We spend last Thursday to Saturday in Saint Michel des Saints. 

Didn't realize this event was on. On Friday we went south down to Coin Lavigne then headed east for a loop. Could have easily went to St Come if knew festival was on.

Spend the next 2 days riding to the north on perfect trails. Loved the 345 south from Repos down to the 360

On 06/02/2018 at 5:21 AM, mikerider said:

Very nice Alain, thanks for sharing.  Those ice sculptures are amazing.

Next time get TWO sugar pies and invite me to dinner! It is my favorite.  Interestingly, the hotel I stay at took sugar pies off the menu a couple years ago as did Au Cage la Sports Restaurant. That has to be a crime in Quebec, right?

mike

Thanks Mike! Yes a crime, don't touch the sugar pies!!!

I used to be a sugar beast when younger. We had a sugar shack at our farm and it was normal thing to eat a bowl of maple sugar with a spoon or drinking a glass of maple syrup. If I would tried that now I would  fall in diabetic coma right away! The St-Côme bakery is part of the history for Kristine and me, I remember the first time we got there together by sled in 1986 with an indy400 single seat we had skeeze a sugar pie in the rear trunk... was not looking like a sugar pie when back home but still delicious!!! 

On 06/02/2018 at 8:04 PM, Fuse6 said:

Carvings are incredible Alain. Thanks for the pictures. We spend last Thursday to Saturday in Saint Michel des Saints. 

Didn't realize this event was on. On Friday we went south down to Coin Lavigne then headed east for a loop. Could have easily went to St Come if knew festival was on.

Spend the next 2 days riding to the north on perfect trails. Loved the 345 south from Repos down to the 360

Sorry you missed your chance to see them in real. The sculpture festival is always around the end of January, it was 2 weekend with the week in between years ago but they have since few years streched at 3 weekend which is a good thing. We usually go around the middle to see more completed pieces but they continue to build new one up to the end. There was this one at beginning on saturday when we pass:

DSC03339_zpsgz4juc5n.jpg

That had turned into this yesterday

20180206_140509_zps5xego0g6.jpg

Will be finished just in time for the week end I guess

Alain