Two half day trips - Pittsburg to Thetford - Delightful

Friday Feb 9, we departed by sled from camp in Pittsburg NH and crossed at the Pittsburg - Chartierville border crossing without incident. Ran 65 into La Patrie where we topped off and jumped on 523 to 55.  Took 55 and turned back onto 65 taking it into Weedon where we had an early lunch @  Restaurant Le Moulin and topped off again @ the neighboring SONIC.

Jumped out on 65 to 540 to 25 and then onto a local trail leading us across multiple lengthy sidewalks and parking lots before we located our inn for the evening @ Thetford Mines. Trails were mint. Aside from the local trail that includes the sidewalk in Thetford Mines we had 150 miles without a ripple.

When dinner time rolled around and at the suggestion of the receptionist we patronized La Face De Boeuf where we were served mouth watering  steaks, salads and 32 ounce draught Canadian beer :  ) and tasty glasses of red wine that I am confident Groomer would approve if he were in this neighborhood.

On Saturday morning the forecast which had no precipitation forecasted now reflected rain for the next two days in the Thetford Mines area & on Sunday in Pittsburg NH so we decided to prematurely return in an attempt to avoid the rain. Fortunately we encountered minimal rain and again 150 miles of freshly groomed trails.  

On the return trip @ 55 & 525 we were pulled in at a trail block orchestrated by club volunteers & police. After our meet & greet and an inspection of our paperwork and a brief conversation where we complimented the volunteers on their trails and thanked them for their service we were off only to pull in again for lunch @ La Patrie where we patronized the only two bar / restos in town, meeting with a number of acquaintances  we were fortunate to meet on our many previous visits. After a belly full we skipped the gas fill and darted off to complete the 40 miles to camp.   

Hats off to the many clubs we traveled through. On this specific weekend the trails some of which are tight & twisty and others that are as straight as an arrow for fair distances were spectacular. Having completed this trip several times I knew what to expect as the recent snowfall two days prior would be a bonus. I urge those of us who sit on this side of the boundary line and who have an urge / curiosity to run the Eastern Townships trail system whether it is for a first time or a repetitive time to do so when the opportunity permits. 

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5409.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

Nice report NY Ski Dooer! Appreciate the intel on the eastern townships as I have a camp in Averill, VT and I skip across the border in Beecher Falls a few times a year. I am headed to camp this afternoon and will probably head over in the morning. Have had lots of great miles in that area, with very low traffic.            Terry

4 minutes ago, jak said:

Nice report Paddy, looks like you have a new sled? Possibly see you next week.

That would be wonderful. Eddy O & Liam arrive this afternoon. If the weather permits we will ride locally tomorrow, load the trailer tomorrow evening & head to the Delta on Saturday as we have reservations Sat to Sat. :  )   Hope you can make it work . It would be great to see you. 

Paddy O  

8 hours ago, actionjack said:

I personally love that area as the trails are awesome when there is snow because so few ride there.  Had a wildly fun night in the dive bar in La Patrie once and stayed in a beautiful huge chalet up the street. 

18 years back La Patrie was my first Canadian bar & first trip to Canada. Early in departure for a day trip we (6 guys) stopped at one of  the two places - the one with rooms. Needless to say that was as far as we got - OMG ...what a morning, afternoon, evening & night :  ) .