Need some help on Val d'Or

doubler

Going to be riding from Val d'Or for 4 days next week.  I have only limited knowledge of the area (passed through there a few times on travel trips and spent 4 days there about 20 years ago).  When we spent 4 days doing day trips I only recall one of the loops (to Lac Faillon for lunch and back).  I am looking for suggestions for good day trips.  I have looked at the map and can easily make a loop based on mileage, but food and gas is the issue.  It's not easy to plan a loop with a lunch stop around noon - 1:00). So if anyone can suggest good places to have lunch anywhere from 75 to 125 miles from Val d'Or (150-250 total daily mileage) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert

I will be in Val d'Or Sunday and returning Friday after a loop to Roberval.  A nice loop that's in your mileage window would be to Amos.  I'd suggest having lunch at Hotel Eskers restaurant Chat O.  You have to travel the last mile to Eskers on the river, but it's very well marked.  While in Amos, you may want to visit Refuge Pageau, a refuge for injured animals being nursed back to health.

On another day you could ride to Rouyn Noranda, it's a very snowmobile friendly small city with lots of restaurants.

Another day trip could be to Lebel-sur-Quevillon which is northeast of Val d'Or.  There is easy access to gas, and a nice restaurant near the gas station.  On the way there you pass through Senneterre, which is very interesting as the trail follows the main roads through the town, you ride with the regular traffic.  Make sure you have a map blowup for Senneterre, the trail through town isn't well marked, I took the wrong road even with my gps.

Amos and Rouyn Noranda also have easy access to gas.

Have fun, where are you staying in Val d'Or?  We will be at Forestel Sunday night.

Edited by SRSchang

I was up last weekend. Parked in Val d'Or . Rode to Chibugama first day. Trail 93 all day 325 miles.

Second day had to replace a bearing in the top main idler wheel. Local shop allowed us to use his tools after we bought the parts from the Ski Doo shop.  Left at 12 noon and rode to Matagami and arrived at 6:15. 93 and 396 trail. 275 miles.

Third day rode from Matagami to Notre-Dam-Du-Nord. 396 to 83. 386 miles for the day.

4th day back to truck was 83 south to 63 west to 309 north. Total of 1125 for 3 1/2 days riding.

if you are able to the ride to Matagami up is nice and the ride down on the pipelines on 396 on the west side is a very good ride. From Matagami to Amos is 2 hours and 130 miles. If you cant make it there is gas in St Flelix.

Nice ride Backcountry.  My wife & I rode to Matagami a couple weeks ago.  34F & rain all the way up from Val d'Or, dropped to -10F overnight.  Her Doo 900 wouldn't start that morning, totally dead.  I tried my jumper cables, nothing worked.  Kept going inside to get warmed up, coming out & hitting the start button.  After 20 minutes or so, I hit the button for the 1000th time, lights came on & it fired right up.  Was fine for the rest of the trip. 

We rode close to another group from Matagami down to Amos, we made it to Amos easily, their sleds were pretty thirsty.  They were desperate for fuel by St Felix.  The map shows fuel & food there, a local said they're both closed now.  The other group started knocking on doors, looking to buy fuel from someones gas can. 

7 hours ago, SRSchang said:

Nice ride Backcountry.  My wife & I rode to Matagami a couple weeks ago.  34F & rain all the way up from Val d'Or, dropped to -10F overnight.  Her Doo 900 wouldn't start that morning, totally dead.  I tried my jumper cables, nothing worked.  Kept going inside to get warmed up, coming out & hitting the start button.  After 20 minutes or so, I hit the button for the 1000th time, lights came on & it fired right up.  Was fine for the rest of the trip. 

We rode close to another group from Matagami down to Amos, we made it to Amos easily, their sleds were pretty thirsty.  They were desperate for fuel by St Felix.  The map shows fuel & food there, a local said they're both closed now.  The other group started knocking on doors, looking to buy fuel from someones gas can. 

I was told there is fuel in Saint Domonique - Du Rosaire. We are planning to go to La Sarre from Matagami next Thursday.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:11 AM, SRSchang said:

Backcountry, did you stop for fuel in Desmaraisville on the way to Chib?  Curious what the fuel situation is in Desmaraisville.  I've made it all the way before, but I start sweating when it gets over 130 miles.

You can make it with an E-tech but carb's wont make it. I did it and had 138 miles from LSQ to Chapais. Demaraisville is only off the trail 1 mile. We had to dump 3 gallon in the 800 carb. On the way back we knew we had to push to get north so we rode hard. Chib to LSQ was 3 1/2 hours including stopping in Demaraisville this time

19 hours ago, Js12ren said:

I was told there is fuel in Saint Domonique - Du Rosaire. We are planning to go to La Sarre from Matagami next Thursday.

There is no fuel in St Domonique. Just went thru there last weekend. Go to Amos or if you cant make it stop in St Felix. There are no signs for gas off the trail at St Felix but the gas station is just up the hill on the main road. 

3 hours ago, Backcountry12 said:

There is no fuel in St Domonique. Just went thru there last weekend. Go to Amos or if you cant make it stop in St Felix. There are no signs for gas off the trail at St Felix but the gas station is just up the hill on the main road. 

Is this place closed or just no gas? Thanks.

Resto-Bar%20Chez%20Heacutelegravene%20An

23 hours ago, Js12ren said:

Joe, if you go up the river and cut in between the Yamaha and  BRP dealers you will find gas. It is about 17 miles past Saint Domonique - Du Rosaire.

Amos_zpsbmmfzz6e.jpg

Amos%20Gas_zpstivhrokq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Backcountry12 said:

LOL. I honestly did not recognize this place till just now. We found this place but they said they have no gas. 

We have stopped there a few times in years passed for gas. It's good to know in advance that it doesn't have it any more.

Thanks.

On February 18, 2018 at 1:28 PM, Backcountry12 said:

Came down from Matagami a couple weeks ago and found the gas station and restaurant had 4ft of snow all around it and we were on fumes. Gimped into St Felix and no shit the Polaris ProS 800 in our group took 1 liter more than what the manual says it holds....LOL

as I remember the trail came right down the side of the bldg but no more and possibly they are just closed for the winter now.