Joliette/St-Donat Black Mountain photo-ride report 17february2018

towing

We were due to visit the new belvedere of the Black Mountain in St-Donat. This is a nice loop to do from home, here on a map the path of the day totaling 235 miles.

carte_zpsxazvuxqo.jpg

We chose to go by the south side first to enjoy the fields with a good visibility and to cover a good distance quickly. Here on #43 trail near home

DSC03705_zpslwevcs80.jpg

The #3 trail was freshly groomed, granular snow and very hard trail still -15C  when we started

DSC03709_zps1lrqlttg.jpg

We forked on trail #345 north

DSC03717_zps1m8fpdad.jpg

Then on trail #310 toward St-Liguori. Crossing the Red River is now by a bridge and here crossing the Ouareau River 

DSC03725_zpsbey1dcyb.jpg

And then trail #305. Here near the new roundabout (road #158) in St-Jacques de Montcalm

DSC03729_zpsapnawrar.jpg

We continued the #305 up to St-Lin Laurentides, beautiful wide fast trail almost entirely in fields

DSC03742_zpsvskpwbvf.jpg

From St-Lin we switched north on trail #343 to St-Calixte. Woody winding trail in majority

DSC03747_zps4zb1nreb.jpg

North of St-Calixte we join the #33 trail that we took northbound. Wooded and more mountainous trail

DSC03752_zpshdgxfeid.jpg

DSC03759_zps2csz2awb.jpg

Here just near Ste-Marguerite

DSC03764_zpsqvd5gg5f.jpg

where the trail goes on the lake near the Esterelle

DSC03769_zpsujuqnrz9.jpg

We continued on the #33 trail north toward St-Lucie.

DSC03776_zpsyxgrdbtj.jpg

After the village we got stucked for several miles behind this happy sledder who lived his ride just forward ...

DSC03782_zps4xakjmks.jpg

It happened to all of us to follow someone who think he is alone on the trail but after several  road crossing I  told myself :it's okay, he do not want to let us pass we will wait for our opportunity. He finished me after 15 minutes while crossing a gang when  he proudly raised his left hand closed! he really had no idea that someone can be behind him... Finally, it always pay to be patient and we had our opportunity  to pass him a little further at an intersection

DSC03784_zpssnhprlm7.jpg

Knowing that the wheater forecast preview cloudiness (which was already beginning) we chose to go on the Black Mountain before lunche to better enjoy the view so we forked on the #317 on the west side.

DSC03793_zpsmuvwmsrz.jpg

And then right on the local trail that takes us to the top

DSC03796_zpsapso6tju.jpg

The more we climbed, the more trees become loaded

DSC03801_zpscnccxvxp.jpg

and here is the famous new watchtower at the top of the Black mountain.

DSC03809_zpsavlyxpmr.jpg

There has been a lot of work done here, in addition to the observation tower some trees have been cut to open the view again from the top level

DSC03810_zpshmop12xf.jpg

Too bad for the pics that the sun was so shy ...

DSC03816_zpsptjnl5jl.jpg

The gray jays were still  waiting for lunch

DSC03818_zpsw9yfaqqv.jpg

20180217_130217_zpsv6id6t7n.jpg

We had to climb up the new tower to admire the new view. I would have liked a clear sky but we will have the opportunity to come back...

DSC03820_zpsbdvogbsp.jpg

DSC03822_zps1sfwmn8x.jpg

By the time we were there, a group of antique snowmobiles arrived. Many beautiful of old sleds who have surely received a lot of love since to look so good

DSC03824_zpslzkqpxom.jpg

DSC03826_zpslbkq1gja.jpg

We then took back the trail to St-Donat, it was passed 1:30pm and we had no meal yet since the breakfast

DSC03839_zpshov7cmnu.jpg

So we went back down the mountain

DSC03854_zpsxlkejzpb.jpg

And took the trail on Lac Archambault to go to St-Donat. This is the ski center Mont-Garceau that we see in the background

DSC03868_zps4md4udkc.jpg

New snowmobile trials and an antique snowmobile snow were held at the lakeside park

DSC03870_zpshcyjxm3f.jpg

We went along the main street by the local trail

DSC03873_zpsqougrsuo.jpg

As we were managing to go downtown to eat, following the trail that winding throught a short back road I notice a sledder that seems to ride faster behind so I just slow down on the side on a safe spot and sign him to pass. As he come aside he just flag me to stopped and introduce himself, it was actionjack from the forum here! He was in the area and chase me when he reconize my sled to say us hello!  We had a bad timing to talk alot each other but it was really nice you took the time to come to us and to meet you actionjack. You are one of those sledders that was already at sharing on the forums when I began to write on the english forums many years ago. We had virtually share informations and you never fail to continue sharing your passion throught the years on the net. Too bad we just had a small talk in real and shame on us we had forgot to take a picture! His red Sidewinder is a very nice and neat machine.

next, following the directions we managed to join the Montagnard for our late lunch. We finally started eating around 2:20pm, we were over due!

DSC03877_zpshbtzfsad.jpg

For the return, we took the #33 trail  which conditions were even nicer on this side but the clouds having settled well we did not took many other pics.

DSC03885_zpsrmr9e6pa.jpg

At the Coin Lavigne we forked toward #63 by the local trail. This short section there was more rought. The path that the trail usually used is plowed for the construction of a new 735kva power line and the trail now runs aside this road for the greater part but it was more than due for a good groom pass.

DSC03891_zpssp8bgzqp.jpg

Otherwise after reaching the #63 a little north of the pourvoirie Bazinet the trail conditions came back good.

DSC03895_zpshzziszgv.jpg

We took a short break at the Tim Horton in St-Jean de Matha and finally came back home around 7pm for a total of 235 miles on the dreammeter. Again a beautiful ride for us with very good snow everywhere.

We cross our fingers for next with the warmth announced for the next few days. Unfortunately, I am expecting damage to the trail system in the south around home with what it is forecast but I think the north trails will survived with some dozer work of course when it will all freeze back on Thursday. At this point it is just a guess and we need to wait after the rainy parade to know more.  I suggest you to keep an eye here to see how the trail conditions going on: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Bye!

Alain

Beuatiful report as usual Alain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reading it from my bed at Hotel Matagami. We had a 15 day today on a 1-10 scale of riding up here from Valdor. The east side trail 396 was FANTASTIC. Will think of you when we pass by the Amosphere tomorrow. Was at that intersection in the Leverendrye park taking a break yesterday and we talked about you and how we met there.

God speed my friend 

image.jpeg

Edited by snowmaster2112

Great to finally meet Alain after reading so many reports riding along vicariously (I read that here somewhere). As I was entering the lake near the Vintage snowmobile gathering to return to the chalet to pick up my wife to ride I noticed a flash from a sled approaching me. I immediately recognized the sparkling blue touring sled with the Boivin skid and the 2 riders by their gear from all the reports. 

It was years before I realized how you managed so many photos and miles at the same time - an embedded reporter on the back seat. 

I was like a kid chasing a rockstar for an autograph. Had to catch them by the way even 2up. I could see that sled eating up the chop with both of you on it.  Hope to meet again with more time.  Next time I’ll ride in and buy you guys a round. 

On 19/02/2018 at 9:54 PM, actionjack said:

Great to finally meet Alain after reading so many reports riding along vicariously (I read that here somewhere). As I was entering the lake near the Vintage snowmobile gathering to return to the chalet to pick up my wife to ride I noticed a flash from a sled approaching me. I immediately recognized the sparkling blue touring sled with the Boivin skid and the 2 riders by their gear from all the reports. 

It was years before I realized how you managed so many photos and miles at the same time - an embedded reporter on the back seat. 

I was like a kid chasing a rockstar for an autograph. Had to catch them by the way even 2up. I could see that sled eating up the chop with both of you on it.  Hope to meet again with more time.  Next time I’ll ride in and buy you guys a round. 

"an embedded reporter on the back seat"  Yep, you got it!

Again it was a pleasuire to meet you and we will take more time the next shot!

On 20/02/2018 at 11:02 AM, viper2 said:

Great trip Alain, hope the snow holds up

Thanks Rick, The worst part of the thaw is already behind and even the snow base is soaken It only slighly pack, maybe 20% and lefting 80% of the snowdepth we had at home. The temps just toggle below zero in the last hour so the damage will be less than I was expected. It will be icy everywhere until dozer work but i expect flying hardpack highway after. A couple inches would be a bonus hoping we will get some in the next days

On 20/02/2018 at 12:21 PM, PLAYHARD said:

actionjack said: I was like a kid chasing a rockstar for an autograph

Awesome.

I had a big laught when I read this one, very funny!

On 20/02/2018 at 3:08 PM, grumpysanta said:

Nice ride u are so lucky to get out that often with your partner and best camera person out there on snow and u are pretty good with the reports  too   lol. hope to see u one day.

Yes I am a lucky guy I know it. I hope to get the chance that our path cross over the trail one of these...

On 19/02/2018 at 9:34 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

Beuatiful report as usual Alain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reading it from my bed at Hotel Matagami. We had a 15 day today on a 1-10 scale of riding up here from Valdor. The east side trail 396 was FANTASTIC. Will think of you when we pass by the Amosphere tomorrow. Was at that intersection in the Leverendrye park taking a break yesterday and we talked about you and how we met there.

God speed my friend 

image.jpeg

Hi Christ! You are probably the only of the rare that escape the thaw by being enough north. You were at the right place at right time I guess!  Good souvenirs you bring me here, the meeting in Leverendrye park was unreal!!! seems you have a good time with your new ride, keep riding my friend!

Edited by towing