2019 ski-doo models released

quebec bob

Ski-Doo has released their new models for 19 and it looks like they have once again raised the bar, a 900 ace turbo 4 stroke, and G-4 in a lot of models,now that Yamaha has all but left the game they have really taken the lead. You can really see it out on the trail where they more than outnumber everyone else combined. I bought a 18 back country this year, after decades with Yamaha , it is a good feeling knowing that if needed parts and service are close by. They really surprised me this year, this company is always pushing the envelope.

I always like looking at the new iron.  I ride and buy mostly Polaris it has always worked for me and my ridding style.  With alot more Quebec miles planned now instead of ridding tug Hill and beating up my body the new turbo has my interest but not at more money than a 850.  That is disappointing.

I have owned a lot of sleds since 66.I rode Yamaha for 70% of that time, started with 318 ski-doo Olympic, 338 sno-jets, 800 Zr arctic cat, vector with supercharger, Yamaha 136 Warrior, RV 250 Ski-Doo blizzard, so I have been around the sport, riding, racing, building, etc. I am not brand loyal, we are all enjoying this great sport thru our own personal taste and I do not care what anyone rides. So now I will critique this sled from my own personal background. First I will say that the 146 inch track , unstudded is an amazing track, really cannot feel any difference from a 125 as far as noise and smoothness, and it really hooks up WELL!! The big windshield and side deflectors work good but could be angled a little more upright rather than tilted back so far.The handle bars looked kind of cheap compared to the covered ones on Yamaha, but I will tell you that they are very comfortable and the seating position and ergos to the bars , they really nailed it, probably could not come up with a better seating position, I am 6 ft and 180lbs. The c-motion suspension, some say it is a Polaris copy, who cares, it really is a great suspension, I like it more than my friends 17 renegade, and it turns just as good, if not better on the trail, hard to believe all that sled is back there, cannot tell it from a 129, but i love all that storage area, that linqs system is great.I am not too impressed by the ds2 skis, they make the sled feel a little tippy, it is tall and an inch or so narrower than the renegade, I will be going to code north for a week starting Saturday with Simmons gen 3 8 inch wide skis with the dual runner, I think they will make a big difference, it took me 500 miles and 3 days to start getting use to the skis, they have to go. I know it is a cross-over but it is a little too narrow.The back country is gear down 4 teeth on the small gear from the renegade, it makes a huge difference in acceleration, it is much quicker out of the hole with the 1.6 track and lower gearing. fuel mileage is 14.5 maybe stretch to 15 if you go 45 to 50mph. Oil consumption is 150 to 165 miles a quart, way more than my 2 stroke Yamahas were.The windshield mounted mirrors, well they functionally suck, poor location and poorly designed mirror, you could get killed trying to use these , all they do is cover the law, not much more.Hand warmers are great, switches on console, I thought it was a joke but I will tell you, I like them and they are easy to use, and if you tip over they will not break off the bar. I saved the part everyone want to know about for last, the 850 engine and clutch. This motor is a lot tamer in the shorter renegade with the smaller track and higher gearing. the back country has lower gearing and more bite with the 1.6 track and it really makes this sled go.....almost too much, the initial pull is quite impressive, remember this is coming from a guy that has built and ridden a lot of 200-230 hp sleds.i was really surprised at how potent this sled was, the clutch is pure racing material, Aaen and microbelmont have used this roller design for years, ski-doo really dialed it in on this application, incredibly responsive, the 3 lbs lighter, Hooper race engines in New Hampshire have built a lot of sleds and engines for world champions for years their big hole shot advantage was a very light primary clutch. 1 lb of rotating mass is equal to about 10 hp. ski-doo now sells this to the public and they really have it dialed in, we will see how durable it is. A lot of guys were saying belts were blowing, mostly on mountain sleds, you should take the insulation out of the cover, even cut the bottom 20% off the cover, let some air in and heat out, ride it normally and it works just fine, beat the death out of a free ride in 3 feet of powder and it will get hot and blow, trial riders are having 0 trouble, I have been watching this close.I am quite surprised how powerful and responsive this sled is, you can pull the skis at 65 mph quite easily, the braking is almost as impressive as the engine, first sled with no studs, and it does not need them. I put front wheels in the skid like the renegade to help the Hy-fax out , should have come this way, the suspension is really great riding and 10 lbs lighter than r-motion, and just as good, maybe better.This sled is probably too much performance from an engine stand point than 50 percent of riders would ever need or even want, it is a real handful if you try to use it, it will go to 100 very quick and effortlessly. If you have some miles on the seat and you like sports cars you will really love this sled, it is that good, there are not a lot of them on the trail yet but this will change, but the 19 is listed for 14,400 which is pretty steep, I bought mine in Troy new Hampshire for 12,900, their first offer to me and I took it without countering.Overall I am happy with the sled, nobody put out anything perfect we all want or add something. They have a glove box extension with a garmin gps, but I passed, 1000$ was a little too much!!Hope I covered it for for anyone thinking about it, happy trails!!

1 hour ago, neksledr said:

It completely shocks me that the 1200 has been discontinued??? 

Me too, lots of guys loved that motor, and out west a ton of people turboed that motor and it was very reliable, lots will be disappointed.Replacing it with a 900 turbo, it will be a lot more potent than the 1200 for sure, but more $ too.

The 1200 4-Tek is junk. I ran a 2012 800 e-tec  for 4 years 18000 miles  with only piston recall @ 10k NO problems.

Actually the only problem I had was the dealer rebuilding it with the pistons. Did not secure the fuel injectors and on a trip 600 miles into it gas was spraying all over the engine compartment.

Everyone talked me into the 1200 for the miles I ride . So I get one and it eats a valve @ 4200 miles !!

1 hour ago, Snohorse said:

The 1200 4-Tek is junk. I ran a 2012 800 e-tec  for 4 years 18000 miles  with only piston recall @ 10k NO problems.

Actually the only problem I had was the dealer rebuilding it with the pistons. Did not secure the fuel injectors and on a trip 600 miles into it gas was spraying all over the engine compartment.

Everyone talked me into the 1200 for the miles I ride . So I get one and it eats a valve @ 4200 miles !!

My 1200 has been good so far, 6,031 and it's a 2017. Problem it's not much fun to ride I may change that next year.

😏😏😏

IMG_0577.JPG

2 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

My 1200 has been good so far, 6,031 and it's a 2017. Problem it's not much fun to ride I may change that next year.

😏😏😏

IMG_0577.JPG

That sled has phil1 written all over it! The gun is loaded!!! pull the trigger!!!

Quebec bob, try those Simmons Skis before going on a trip. I had a pair of the earlier/narrower Simmons. On some sleds they worked great, some sleds I could hardly turn the handlebars they were so aggressive. Each sled responds different to skis.

My '16 Rene 900 ACE has well over 13,000 miles on it. A few new 'O' rings in the clutch, couple new clutch springs (just because), bearing behind the driven clutch (just because) , belt change at 10,000 miles, and a few oil changes, typical SkiDoo reverse problems (have to shut off engine before putting it in reverse). Best sled ever.  Original slides, all other bearings still original.

mike

Mike, you are right, only reason I am doing Simmons is they really worked great on my supercharged Yamaha vector, they were only hard to turn at stand still, worked great while moving. My friend put some aggressive C & A skis on his 2017 renegade without trying them and it was so hard to turn that he bought pilot skis at the dealer in la tuque and left the c&a skis there.Maybe I should try pilot skis, hope I did not waste my money, but the sled is a new model and not many people have a real answer yet. All I know for sure is there must be a better trail ski than the deep snow series 2 it comes with. It is a cross over so Johnny stand-up probably loves them.

5 hours ago, Snohorse said:

Far from junk, your problem was extremely rare. Factory f up. Me and Eric both have 17,000 miles on our 12's. never left stranded.

We're putting on another 1500+ miles this coming week.

Edited by Jackstraw

4 minutes ago, 603backcountry said:

Quebec Bob give the Curve XS skis a try we have had all other simmons gen 1, 2 , 3 and slt, slp mowhawks, and these seem to work great on the Ski Doo Gen 4 chassis

Many thanks, I think a ski with a little less rocker and a little longer contact behind the saddle/spindle will really help stabilize this sled, and push it a little more toward trail than off trail.

11 hours ago, 603backcountry said:

Quebec Bob give the Curve XS skis a try we have had all other simmons gen 1, 2 , 3 and slt, slp mowhawks, and these seem to work great on the Ski Doo Gen 4 chassis

I also run the Curve XS, they are a great ski.  Went to engineering school with Nick P one of the owners and he set me up right with the Curves XS Skis that have the leading edge and side thrusters.  The Curves are superior quality thick plastic and very durable, easy to clean and they look great! The bottom of the Curve has a nice profile (pic 3) to it to help grip the trail rather than most skis with flat bottoms.  The side thruster is a very noticeable improvement for cornering and also when riding in loose snow when carbides are not able to dig in...  I turn my thrusters over sometimes (shown in pic 2), like this weekend when I was riding on the really hard packed trail but after 3 inches of fresh snow fell I turned them back down and it was a huge difference in being able to keep the front end planted in corners with the fresh loose snow on the trail.  The idea of the thruster is that it gives you additional surface area on the outside of the ski to allow the ski to track through the snow rather than slide sideways especially in looser conditions. 

My dad has had C&A pros on the his last sled and after riding mine with Curves he is now going to Curve once they get more Blue skis in stock.

I am considering selling/trading-in my yellow Curves and getting a set of Blue or Green Curves to match the graphics on my new Cross Country Cat.

IMG_7638.JPG

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

Edited by Teet F8SP

14 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I guess you miss having to wrap the rope around the clutch all winter to start?:shok:

James it was not all winter that I wrapped the rope around the clutch to start my 2011 800 it was for 3 winters, that starter never worked.

😫😫😫

Eric told me he was thinking 850!!!

Looking through the catalogue they have a new helmet which looks intriguing other than the price. Some new Linq items as well. That Red Back Country looks sharp. After many successful years on Cats I'm thinking of crossing over. The weight is starting to catch up with me and like the more 50/50 use and opportunities it holds going forward. However if we keep getting this snow rain freeze cycle not sure what will be the best sled.

10 hours ago, doo4adoo said:

Looking through the catalogue they have a new helmet which looks intriguing other than the price. Some new Linq items as well. That Red Back Country looks sharp. After many successful years on Cats I'm thinking of crossing over. The weight is starting to catch up with me and like the more 50/50 use and opportunities it holds going forward. However if we keep getting this snow rain freeze cycle not sure what will be the best sled.

What was the price on the helmet, I did not see it?