2019 ski-doo models released

quebec bob

14 hours ago, favarcat said:

Hi Mike, had a Polaris Sp Assault 144 last year with the 600.  All you need is a clutch kit from NSP and get at least 15mpg all the time.

And alot better performance. With the 12 gallon tank, I did over 170 miles a couple times.  I used Klotz at $39 shipped to your door.

I'm using Polaris VES this year with my SKS 146 at $37 from my dealer.  Ran 4 strokes for years but having fun again on the 2 strokes.

You are absolutely correct about a clutch kit improving fuel mileage, I have been doing this for years. Just back from a 1500 mile ride and I let a friend use a 2005 rx1 warrior with an aaen 4 pro clutch, it gets better mileage than a 1200 skidoo and 600 etec, day  after day, and gets better mileage than my 850.

Thanks for the tip. I would love to try the Polaris, I almost bought a leftover on my way here to  RDL the other day before the XC 129 was announced. But even at 15 mpg, I am the type that would put in 91 octane as recommended, buy a clutch kit, buy oil everyday, and the sled would cost, just to buy it, about a grand more than a new G4 900 ACE.And the ACE would still get 5 mpg better gas mileage, use 87 octane.  By the end of a 5,000 mile season there is probably another $1,000 to $1,500 in costs. I also know that the ACE bearings and shocks and belt don't need to be touched for 10-15,000 miles where as the  Polaris at minimum will need lots of new bearings at the end of the first season, possibly shocks rebuilt and at least a new belt. I may be wrong, but that is my take on it, it is a matter of money that prevents me from going that route, I just could not afford the Polaris. If I thought I could afford to ride the Polaris and trade it every year, I would go for it and try it for a year to see how it worked out. I don't doubt for a second Polaris has a hit on their hands and really, I want one.

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

Thanks for the tip. I would love to try the Polaris, I almost bought a leftover on my way here to  RDL the other day before the XC 129 was announced. But even at 15 mpg, I am the type that would put in 91 octane as recommended, buy a clutch kit, buy oil everyday, and the sled would cost, just to buy it, about a grand more than a new G4 900 ACE.And the ACE would still get 5 mpg better gas mileage, use 87 octane.  By the end of a 5,000 mile season there is probably another $1,000 to $1,500 in costs. I also know that the ACE bearings and shocks and belt don't need to be touched for 10-15,000 miles where as the  Polaris at minimum will need lots of new bearings at the end of the first season, possibly shocks rebuilt and at least a new belt. I may be wrong, but that is my take on it, it is a matter of money that prevents me from going that route, I just could not afford the Polaris. If I thought I could afford to ride the Polaris and trade it every year, I would go for it and try it for a year to see how it worked out. I don't doubt for a second Polaris has a hit on their hands and really, I want one.

Mike, I know just what you are saying, I rode a Yamaha vector, 3 cylinder 1000, 10 k miles, all in Quebec...and changed the oil 3 times, never changed the belt, spark plugs, or for that matter ..anything, track still looks new and the sled does not have a single scratch anywhere, but it is 14 years old and probably just broke in!! Now I have a 2018 back country 850....a ton of fun...but premium fuel, less gas mileage....and a quart of oil every tank and a quarter, probably never be anywhere near as dependable...but it is fun to ride and I love the Linq system. I hear you about the cost of operation and we all know, but never talk about how much they depreciate. Other than the members of this forum most of us could not give our sleds away to someone else.I will never tell my wife how much this thing costs to run, but i will tell you that 1500 miles in Cote Nord 2 weeks ago was ....PRICELESS!!

David and I bought 850 renegade and they are a blast ride. As for oil another friend of mine bought an 850 over replacing his 1200. Now this his words. When he took it to the dealer for an oil change it cost him 160 dollars, his words. Buy a lot of oil for 160. 

Now for us we put oil in every day and at that time the belt is checked and a general look over. I know people have said they never look under the hood.  I believe blowing a belt could be the start of something not good or start something not good. As for gas a good bottle of wine or a few cocktails will match a day of riding and the fresh air is better for you. Go play around in a twin engine boat for a day. Snowmobiling is cheap. And more fun IMO. Be safe everyone. 

I understand what many of you are saying. I am saying with the ACE I can afford the sled and the wine. Really, my budget is tight, but I also want to have not just the fun of sledding, but also to be able to afford the social aspect of the sport

I understand all the math, just it is a shock to start adding up oil and premium gas, when you never had to buy it. I just spent 196 dollars on oil on a 1 week 1500 mile trip, 200 dollars for oil and another 90 dollar premium for gas. I can afford it, and I do realize when a guy is retired, and can ride a lot, 300 dollars over 4 or 5 weeks of riding is 1500 dollars. Ski-Doo is spending a ton designing their 4 strokes and the return looks good, they are everywhere, the big attraction...cost of operation and reliability. I love my 850, but like Sno Horse says...if you want to play you have to pay...very true!!

This snowmobiling thing....has never been a sport for saving money!!!

But it is worth every penny when:  you are the first track, on a freshly groomed trail, for 70 miles, at -10°,  beautiful sunny morning, going whatever speed you want!

4 hours ago, smclelan said:

But it is worth every penny when:  you are the first track, on a freshly groomed trail, for 70 miles, at -10°,  beautiful sunny morning, going whatever speed you want!

Is it OK for a Yami'haulioc to weigh in here?... :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

12 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

Is it OK for a Yami'haulioc to weigh in here?... :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

First, thanks for inviting me to ride this week, much appreciated but I have the shop booked for some big Mercedes engine work that I cannot put off.Of course a Yammie fan can weigh in, they usually tip the scales farther than anybody else, I know , I own 3 of them. Yes they are heavy, basically means almost nothing on well groomed trails where that 4 cylinder engine shines like no other in the whole sport, simply cannot be denied, it is sweet!! Heavy should also be called well built, no ripping a control arm off on this sled, belts and clutching, still the industry standard, motor is bullet proof, period, have seen quite a few running well after 50 k. a little tuning and they are faster than anything out there. And when your 55 and up. and a groomed trail rider  90% of us have seen the first half go by so fast that we do not need the latest and greatest trail carving super sport. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a lot of us like a lot of differnt sleds, I would never argue with anyone about their preference, I own 2 cats, 3 Yammies and a 2018 850 backcountry, big problem, which one do i ride, they are all fun!!

Like I said you would have a hard time giving a snowmobile away here where you must travel if you ride, so rather than give them away, I kept them,I loan them to friends at times when we ride Quebec every now and then. riding there they tend to stay in mint condition, maybe I should start a museum. Sno Horse thinks the warrior belongs in a museum, his 18 year old son did not know what it was, still showroom, I have actually had riders ask me if it was a new model, very funny...and I did see one other one on our last trip, but it was beat.

They must be, we got another 12 inches last night on the mountain, 12 inches 2 days ago and 29 inches 3 days before that, must be 45 inches on the ground in my yard, it would have been nice 5 weeks ago!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 1:28 PM, doonali said:

That sled has phil1 written all over it! The gun is loaded!!! pull the trigger!!!

Well after taking  everything into consideration including the reviews here I pulled the trigger on the 850 BC XRS 1.6 ice ripper, shot and red. Now the wait begins.

0BFD7478-6395-4B4F-8670-C3E8EB7EAEB6.jpeg

Edited by Phil 1
Spelling

Phil, you are going to love this sled, after this season I can honestly say that it is the best sled I have ever had, handles great, good power, the 1.6 track @ 146 is incredible, you will like shot start, those who do not have it, like me, need to put a pull start on, if you have to wrap a rope around the clutch to start a dead battery or starter, just think about how dangerous and hard it will be to put that clutch cover back on with the engine running!! Do not run it with the cover off because some genius put the oil reservoir right there and a bad belt will end up seizing the engine.the only thing is it uses more oil than anyone who owns one will admit, and I do not know why everyone makes believe theirs is good on oil, 1 qt to 145 miles if you go easy, get on the hammer, almost a qt a tank. 14.5 miles a gallon, 12.5 on the hammer. The sled could use a little higher handlebar for standing up, the small adjustable, 4 inch, in the accessories list is very nice, also went with a taller windshield. There was a lot of talk about belts, I took the insulation out of my cover and cut the bottom quarter off the cover to let more air in and heat out, and checked it for temp against Yamaha Warrior and it was about the same and no problems all year.Some writing here and there about the gearing being a little too low making it too responsive, it pulls way better than a renegade 137, not even close, has 4 less teeth on the top gear, but you could up the mileage by adding 2 teeth and make the oil consumption better too.The GPS option is very nice with trak maps, and the c motion rear suspension is outstanding, way less plumbing and fixtures than r motion, turns better and works just as well all the while weighing 10 lbs less.Then there is the Linq system, very nice and if you do not own a Ski-Doo right now, I had a Yamaha, you are going to love this storage system, no comparison in the industry. I really love mine, but would sell it tomorrow, for a 2019 red model, and I have 3.5 years left on the BEST warranty.Sorry you have to wait so long to ride it, I cannot wait for December myself, happy trails.