Gt 2018

GT Rider

It's snowing this am 25 degrees. We were going to go up by the church to the lookout but visibility is not good. We skip it and make the east loop on the local. We drop back down top off fuel and head back toward the big loop. There is plenty of powder over a nice groomed trail. We hit a section that is not groomed. I follow some tracks. It feels like practice for Cote Nord. We come out next to a warming hut with an Iceman sticker. Now it's all groomed. We get to the top of the loop and see the trail to La Cache 87k. I want to check this one off. We head to La Cache. The trail is groomed with lots of powder. We come out on 595 13 miles north of La Cache. We pull into La Cache for gas and lunch. While I'm getting fuel Gemma has found Quebec Bob, Sno Horse & Co. It was really cool to meet up with them. After a chat they head off on their way. We go in and have lunch. After we back track down toward the big orange loop. We go about 30 something miles and I feel some hesitation. I don't like it. I'm going 55 in the straights but now I can only do 45. Next I'm at 35. Eventually I am down to 15. Climbing any hills is a challenge. I have no engine light. We slowly make our way to Nouvelle. We see a man plowing the road. He stops and calls a garage where they speak English. I am invited to come and work out a solution. We drive the street for a mile to get there. The owners two brothers call a couple of dealers and New Richmond agrees to come and get us. The garage closes at 6:00 and the dealer is expected at 7:00. One of the owners invites us to his home across the street. I can't say enough about the hospitality of the garage owner. The dealer arrives and we drop off the machine. Again I am floored by the service from The New Richmond dealer. Danny (sp) picked us up super nice guy. At the dealer Vincent sets our appointment for 8:30 am. Vincent arranged for our retrieval. Two thumbs up for New Richmond. Danny was kind enough to drop us off at the hotel Francis. Thank you. When we arrived at Francis we meet up with Quebec Bob, Snohorse & Co. once again. Hopefully we will make our way to Domaine Valga today.

I don't want to spread rumors but the tank of ordinaire I got is the main suspect.

We finished with 206 miles.

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

Edited by GT Rider

We passed you on your way north to La Cache just before the road section. That was a terrific ride down the local trail all the way toward Nouvelle. We had no gas issues from our fill up. Ironically the gas truck arrived as we were leaving to fill their tanks. It was a busy place, many,many sleds. Just you and two others on the local trail south.

Breaking down is tuff when you are on a saddlebag trip. Jami's 1200 broke down in Sennetarre last week and we had to ride double for three days after. Good thing one of our riding partners has a 1200 Grand Touring. I call it the Rolls Royce of snowmobiles.

I hope you guys get up and running today and your issue is minor. It does sound like either bad fuel or there was something in it that blocked your fuel filter.

Edited by Js12ren

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

We passed you on your way north to La Cache just before the road section. That was a terrific ride down the local trail all the way toward Nouvelle. We had no gas issues from our fill up. Ironically the gas truck arrived as we were leaving to fill their tanks. It was a busy place, many,many sleds. Just you and two others on the local trail south.

Hi,

you were the only traffic we passed. We followed your tracks on the way down to Nouvelle. We like the trail I just wish we could have gone more than 12 mph. 

Happy Trails

Hi Joe,

breakdowns are a bummer. We just got word it was indeed bad gas. We are getting ready to go get it.

I will let you know how the Sena communicators work.

5 hours ago, GT Rider said:

Hi,

you were the only traffic we passed. We followed your tracks on the way down to Nouvelle. We like the trail I just wish we could have gone more than 12 mph. 

Happy Trails

Hi Joe,

breakdowns are a bummer. We just got word it was indeed bad gas. We are getting ready to go get it.

I will let you know how the Sena communicators work.

I hope everything is good to go now Jim. I'm very curious to hear about your communicators also. We have used Colletts for 12 years and loved them. We ordered new ones this year and they were absolute junk. I couldn't get them to work. I used my 12 year old ones on my trip and they worked fine. I sent the new ones back for a full refund. I'm looking at either the new Uclear AMP pro's or Sena 20's. We will be trying out the new Doo Oxygen helmets next year along with new communicators.

GT,  sorry to hear about your problem, glad it's resolved. Being a boater at our home port, I have a buddy, who is a mechanic who will never fuel his boat right after a fuel delivery. I never.really heeded his advise, thinking my engines have fuel filters.and their system I assume has filters too. Maybe there's something to it. Keep us updated. And enjoy tommorrow.

Jeff and Sandy 

9 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Hey Jim,

Bad gas is a big NO NO in the business of snowmobiling!!

I hope your day gets better!

We are heading up to the Gaspesie on Sunday.  

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I hit it at the wrong time. Apparently the tanker just dropped fuel. I did not see it. The dealer cleaned out my tank and changed two filters. We're back in business.

Have a great trip. We look forward to your reports and pics.

4 hours ago, Northbound said:

GT,  sorry to hear about your problem, glad it's resolved. Being a boater at our home port, I have a buddy, who is a mechanic who will never fuel his boat right after a fuel delivery. I never.really heeded his advise, thinking my engines have fuel filters.and their system I assume has filters too. Maybe there's something to it. Keep us updated. And enjoy tommorrow.

Jeff and Sandy 

Hi Jeff & Sandy,

Just a bit of bad timing on my part. We got gas there the day before. The snowmobile ran fine.

We are happy to be on the trail again. 

5 hours ago, Js12ren said:

I hope everything is good to go now Jim. I'm very curious to hear about your communicators also. We have used Colletts for 12 years and loved them. We ordered new ones this year and they were absolute junk. I couldn't get them to work. I used my 12 year old ones on my trip and they worked fine. I sent the new ones back for a full refund. I'm looking at either the new Uclear AMP pro's or Sena 20's. We will be trying out the new Doo Oxygen helmets next year along with new communicators.

Hi Joe,

I stopped at the Doo dealer in Amqui tonight. I bought the Sena. Charging the batteries now. I will let you know how they work.

27 minutes ago, GT Rider said:

Hi Jeff & Sandy,

Just a bit of bad timing on my part. We got gas there the day before. The snowmobile ran fine.

We are happy to be on the trail again. 

Glad to hear your back on the trail and running smoothly. We fueled up not more then 15 minutes before you arrived.

The Sennas work great for rider, passenger situations. Very clear, no background noise. They are on all the time so if your mate talks to themselves you will hear all, coughs and sniffles also. BUTT if you ride in pairs or a group they fail big time. I had the evo20s, distance was about 150 yards and in the minus 25-30 the batteries failed in 2-3 hours. Sent them back for a full refund, thank Senna for that.

I still use my chatterbox, great range but low on clarity as the speed picks up. At least we can communicate at a distance.

Johnny and Trish

Gt rider i think i met you years back at Le Bannik?? I was touring with the Intrepid Snowmobiler that week.

Am I correct?

I wonder if that tanker I saw filling up at la cache stirred up any settled junk on the bottom. We had filled just before he arrived. 

Day 6

We left the dealer at 11:50. West on TQ5. The trail is in ok shape considering it's over 40 degrees out. Going west toward L'Alverne we cross a small bridge and have to climb a hill. This is starts a section that needs tlc. The trail is poor until after Point-a-la-Croix. We stop for fuel and continue on. We are happy to see the trail is in much better condition. When we cross the bridge on to JG's TQ5 wow best conditions of the trip. We are able to make good time. We spot some deer going through Causapscal. We head over to the club house in Albertville for a fast stop. Then over to the Ski Doo in Amqui. All trails from the Albertville club absolute best of our trip so far. We leave the dealer get on 587 it is not good at all. We have 30 miles of beat up trail. We get about 18 miles out from Valga on TQ5 and pass a groomer all good to the finish. We finish with 229 miles on the day.

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG