Gt 2018

GT Rider

1st day 

Time to knock the rust off.

We both got new helmets so I install new speakers and microphones for the communicator. Well it doesn't work. I waste an hour switching stuff around. The Collett is going in the garbage. I need to find a new communicator. Does anyone know where I can find one in Gaspe?

We go to get gas. As I am filling up my GoPro falls off. The new helmet strikes again.

Finally we hit the trail and it could not be nicer. It's 23 degrees and we have a white carpet. 

Traffic is lite. 

We stop for gas in Ste. Ann. As we go east the trail is not as nice. It's getting thinner and corners are choppy (but better than last year).

Overall a great start. I'll try some pics.

todays trails.

%5BURL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jjh1425/media/Quebec%2018/01%2018_zpsompw4h3k.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/jjh1425/Quebec%2018/01%2018_zpsompw4h3k.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

Today's trails (minus the detour to Chandler) We rolled into Roland with 191 miles.

02%2018_zpslhj5l0zg.jpg

I wanted to call around to locate some communicators so we did not get going until about 8:30. It was warm my gauge read 38. We went up to the lookout and then to Mt Louis for gas. We passed a groomer on the way in to the crevier. We are psyched. We gas up and head east as we start to climb there is the groomer and he has problems. He asked us to block traffic coming down the mountain. I drove Gemma up to warn, Stop people. He disconnected the drag and dragged it back out of the ditch. I spoke of our Groomer on Quebec Rider. He said I know Jean-Guy well. Pierre sends salutations. He was cool as a cucumber with a great sense of humor. It was nice to meet him.

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Edited by GT Rider

Hey Jim glad to see you and Gemma made it back to Gaspe. We got back from Temiscaming yesterday and Jami had breast surgery today so I don't think we will make it up this year.

We have been using Colletts for years and loved them. I just bought some new ones to replace my 12 year old ones and they are junk. They will be going back for a full refund. We are hoping to get something new next year. Maybe Uclear or something else?

Hi Joe, 

We wish Jami a fast recovery. 

The Gaspe will be waiting for you guys  next year.

The dealer in Chandler said his customers were complaining  that the Collett's are junk. They don't carry them any more.

Edited by GT Rider

bonsoir jim and gemma !!!

small world !!! i know pierre since the late 70 's .... he was racing with my brother real ( owner of the  dealership ) and jacques at the ski doo dealership in chandler .....125 cc class

then the owner of the polaris dealership in matane was the referee at the races around the gaspesie.

sylvain at the yamaha dealership in matane was racing the 250 cc class...

great memories !!!

thx for the pics....back on tq 5 later tonight !!!

jean-guy

The internet connection is giving me problems. Satellite must be struggling.

We took 5 east to 597 south. We stopped for gas at Murdochville. It looked like they received some fresh powder. We head south to Chandler. 597 was in good shape. Going west into Chandler was not great. It's getting pretty choppy.

Spotted Team Ice stickers. Doonali your slacking on this bridge. 

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

6 minutes ago, groomer said:

bonsoir jim and gemma !!!

small world !!! i know pierre since the late 70 's .... he was racing with my brother real ( owner of the  dealership ) and jacques at the ski doo dealership in chandler .....125 cc class

then the owner of the polaris dealership in matane was the referee at the races around the gaspesie.

sylvain at the yamaha dealership in matane was racing the 250 cc class...

great memories !!!

thx for the pics....back on tq 5 later tonight !!!

jean-guy

Hi JG

We will be stopping by the clubhouse 3/4.

We will be stopping at the dealer 3/2 for communicators. I spoke with them today.

looking forward to your TQ5 again.

17 hours ago, GT Rider said:

Hi JG

We will be stopping by the clubhouse 3/4.

We will be stopping at the dealer 3/2 for communicators. I spoke with them today.

looking forward to your TQ5 again.

bonjour jim and gemma....

back from grooming ...ok....i ll keep date in mind...

jean-guy

Had supper and spent the evening with Northbound, Jeff and Sandy at the Quality Inn, Matane last night. A great evening, it is always fun to meet fellow QR members and put a face to the name. Freshly groomed from Matane to Mont Saint Pierre, blue skys, awesome day. Getting up tomorrow and going to snowmobile all day... ..really have no idea to where yet, the map is spread out on the bed. 

Day 3

03%2018_zpsdj2kazqf.jpg

Today was one of the best riding days we've had. Trail conditions and weather were great.

We had a nice stay at Roland. After breakfast we head to the overlook. I am going to try to get to the statue. Last year I sank in powder like a boat anchor. This time around the snow is firm enough and we finally make it to the top. After some picture taking we set off for the multi gas station in Gaspe. To our surprise the trail out of Perce is fresh groomed. This was the nicest quickest trip we have had on this trail. We get to TQ5 and it's just as nice. North of Perce there is a detour. We got through it fairly quick. Then back to our regularly scheduled beautiful trail. At the gas station we are informed that the trail was groomed to Murdochville last night. We set off for the local west to 597. Sure enough it is in top form. When we get to 597 it also is in super shape. The snow gods are with us today. We stop at Hotel Copper for lunch. We meet a group of guys from NH. They said the trail over to La Cache was in rough shape. After lunch we head north to TQ5 east. Here the trails are not quite as nice. There is some chop. We got spoiled most of this ride. Only after passing Grande Vallee did we get back to nice smooth trails. We pass a groomer going west in the vicinity of Cloridorme. We roll into the Caribou with 238 miles on the day.

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

Thanks GT Rider.

We will be up next week in this same area.

Leaving Matane next Wednesday and heading East. First night Mont Louis then down to Perci or Gaspsie for the night.

Then back up to Murdochville for 3ard night then back to Matane for Saturday night.

This is the plan.....things can and probably will change.

Great to hear about the trails with detours and conditions. We usually wing it for places to stay....but always open to suggestions.

Safe travels!

Day 4

04%2018_zpsf6s5nbty.jpg

Ok. We get started a little early today. We were on the trail at 7:30. It's a grey sky day with light flurries 29 degrees. We back track on TQ5 going west. The groomer we saw last evening made a nice trail even better. Going west passed Grande Vallee it got choppy again. I guess the groomer stops at GV. Like yesterday once we get to 597 things smooth out. We head down to Murdochville and fuel up. The plan is to take the Chic Chocs trail to La Cache. I was told yesterday it was in bad shape. Off we go. The snow gods are with us this time because it's smooth sailing. We make great time cutting across to La Cache. We see the detour that Iceman reported. We stop for lunch. The place looks good with the renovations going on. After lunch we get on 575 south. It's not in top shape. The track is hitting the tunnel. Still we are making good time. Just after Pin Rouge the deer are waiting for us. There are no shortage around here. We make our way to TQ5 west. It's in great shape. Smooth sailing to Carlton. 278 miles on the day.

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

GT, 

Looks like you two are having a great ride, keep it up. The trail between La Cache and Murdockville is one we've never done, it's on the list. 

Jeff and Sandy 

18 hours ago, Whaler said:

Leaving Matane next Wednesday and heading East. First night Mont Louis 

We usually wing it for places to stay....but always open to suggestions.

The lodging in that area is in Mont St Pierre.  There are two places, Hotel Motel Mont St Pierre and Au Delice.  Both have a limited number of rooms.   The next option is 40+ miles away.  You might want to book that night.  

7 hours ago, Northbound said:

GT, 

Looks like you two are having a great ride, keep it up. The trail between La Cache and Murdockville is one we've never done, it's on the list. 

Jeff and Sandy 

For us the third time was a charm. The first two not so much. There are some nice views.

18 hours ago, Whaler said:

Thanks GT Rider.

We will be up next week in this same area.

Leaving Matane next Wednesday and heading East. First night Mont Louis then down to Perci or Gaspsie for the night.

Then back up to Murdochville for 3ard night then back to Matane for Saturday night.

This is the plan.....things can and probably will change.

Great to hear about the trails with detours and conditions. We usually wing it for places to stay....but always open to suggestions.

Safe travels!

Hi Whaler,

we try to do our small part and post conditions when we are here. There are a lot of great contributors on this sight that make it the go to.

Have a great trip.