White Road Run

RoadRunner

That land looks so baron. Is Trailblazer going to get his sled fixed and catch up with the group? He must be teed missing this part of the journey. He is an adventurer.

Have fun,

mike

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

That land looks so baron. Is Trailblazer going to get his sled fixed and catch up with the group? He must be teed missing this part of the journey. He is an adventurer.

Have fun,

mike

Mike, Trailblazer is bound and determined to make it to the end of the White Road, his plan is to get his sled repaired and meet us here Tuesday night.  Now that is a true adventure rider! We will await further updates from TB and look for him here In The Big Land!

3 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Mike, Trailblazer is bound and determined to make it to the end of the White Road, his plan is to get his sled repaired and meet us here Tuesday night.  Now that is a true adventure rider! We will await further updates from TB and look for him here In The Big Land!

I’m rooting for TB. Really hoping he can get it done. Certainly I wish all of you a fantastic run. As usual I am loving to follow along, even if it’s just from the couch this time. Someday I will see the white road.

31 minutes ago, iceman said:

I’m rooting for TB. Really hoping he can get it done. Certainly I wish all of you a fantastic run. As usual I am loving to follow along, even if it’s just from the couch this time. Someday I will see the white road.

Yep,

Me Too

Little hick up today, 7 k outside of Kegashka rear suspension gives out, metal bracket hold the upper wheel on the tunnel is destroyed, trail too rough or I’m to hard, pick one! RR and crew analyze and come up with a band aid fix to get me back to Kegashka for repairs. Got a few option floating around so I’ll be making some decisions in the am.

RR has the footage and will be happy to share.

Found myself getting settled into the local B&B, Auberge La Brion in Kegashka. The owner here is Ruth and after explaining to her the predicament that I’m in she was quickly on the phone looking for solutions. It’s supper time so I go grab a bite to eat, when I return she is still on the phone, god bless her soul.

A short while later she’s got some options for me.

Option 1 

A fella from La Romaine is sledding up to Kegashka in the morning and driving to Sept Isles for supplies, he owns the ski doo repair shop in La Romaine and has agreed to stop at the Auberge to inspect the damages and tell me if they have the parts, if so I’ll need to find someone with a sleigh to drag my sled 60 klms to La Romaine.

Option 2

Call BRP in Sept Isles Monday morning for a rental, have it delivered and they return with mine. Seems this is done often up here but not on a regular basis so it is uncertain they would do same day delivery.

Option 3

She found someone to drive me to Sept Isles early Monday morning so that I’m there for opening time and have my sled looked at first thing, if they have all the parts, bonus. If not I’ll set myself up with a rental and return same day to Kegashka.

Option 1 is put into motion immediately with option 3 as a contingency. So I am in for the night, the next day and night so what do you do to pass time all alone in a small town where everyone you meet knows you’re an outsider. 

Well you watch a lot of tv cause there’s no cell service and the wifi was in and out mostly out and when it was working it took like 10 minutes to try and send a text after multiple efforts. That gets old real fast so I go for a tour du ville, take in some air, some pics and chat a little with the locals. This is a English speaking town btw.

The following day Sunday, Sylvain from La Romaine shows up and has a quick look and tells me they have no parts. They can order them from Sept Isles Monday and have them flown in the next day, apparently there are daily flights here. But that puts me on the trail at the very best Wednesday and by then the boys will be heading back and I would’ve missed out on Labrador. So option 3 is now put into play. Ruth gives Trent a call to confirm and we have agreed for a Monday 4 am pick up. It’s a 5 hour drive from Kegashka to Sept Isles that’s like the same time to drive to RDL from home OMG, BRP opens at 8 and because we’re driving back in time cause Kegashka is one hour ahead that puts us in Sept Isles for 8 am.

Stay tuned for an update.

We will anxiously await TB's progress  while he is on his own journey of gathering a sled to ride and heading down the white road solo.

Some quick observations on this run vs last year.

The trail conditions between Sept Isle and Harve this year were much better than last year. All groomed and well traveled. 

The non maintained section between Johan Beetz and Aguanish had improved marking and was more traveled than last year. This still is a rough section to run and make any time on.

The white road, while very well marked, was much rougher between Kegaska and Chevery on all the overland passages this year do to heavy local traffic, a weekend and warm temps.

The section north of Chevery to vieux fort was similar condition to last year, and the run from the fort to Sablon was better than last year.     All in  all, a great run.

20180305_065759.jpg.da3b5cd673ad164111f4e996ba1dfb23.jpg

20180305_065943.jpg.d65f228ef61ba23d76f9ba7b4ccf82e5.jpg

Edited by RoadRunner
Correct verbage

4 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Found myself getting settled into the local B&B, Auberge La Brion in Kegashka. The owner here is Ruth and after explaining to her the predicament that I’m in she was quickly on the phone looking for solutions. It’s supper time so I go grab a bite to eat, when I return she is still on the phone, god bless her soul.

A short while later she’s got some options for me.

Option 1 

A fella from La Romaine is sledding up to Kegashka in the morning and driving to Sept Isles for supplies, he owns the ski doo repair shop in La Romaine and has agreed to stop at the Auberge to inspect the damages and tell me if they have the parts, if so I’ll need to find someone with a sleigh to drag my sled 60 klms to La Romaine.

Option 2

Call BRP in Sept Isles Monday morning for a rental, have it delivered and they return with mine. Seems this is done often up here but not on a regular basis so it is uncertain they would do same day delivery.

Option 3

She found someone to drive me to Sept Isles early Monday morning so that I’m there for opening time and have my sled looked at first thing, if they have all the parts, bonus. If not I’ll set myself up with a rental and return same day to Kegashka.

Option 1 is put into motion immediately with option 3 as a contingency. So I am in for the night, the next day and night so what do you do to pass time all alone in a small town where everyone you meet knows you’re an outsider. 

Well you watch a lot of tv cause there’s no cell service and the wifi was in and out mostly out and when it was working it took like 10 minutes to try and send a text after multiple efforts. That gets old real fast so I go for a tour du ville, take in some air, some pics and chat a little with the locals. This is a English speaking town btw.

The following day Sunday, Sylvain from La Romaine shows up and has a quick look and tells me they have no parts. They can order them from Sept Isles Monday and have them flown in the next day, apparently there are daily flights here. But that puts me on the trail at the very best Wednesday and by then the boys will be heading back and I would’ve missed out on Labrador. So option 3 is now put into play. Ruth gives Trent a call to confirm and we have agreed for a Monday 4 am pick up. It’s a 5 hour drive from Kegashka to Sept Isles that’s like the same time to drive to RDL from home OMG, BRP opens at 8 and because we’re driving back in time cause Kegashka is one hour ahead that puts us in Sept Isles for 8 am.

Stay tuned for an update.

Most would have thrown in the towel !!!! Way to go Trailblazer, keeping the drive alive!!

Edited by doonali

A quick update, we lounged around today getting settled into Lanse and waiting for Rob to check into Lanse in first place. The race is fast paced this year and going well for Team Maine.  The support teams are getting run very ragged chasing these fast paced racers around the course.  We found the gremlin in the air shock on the expedition today also. It was the pressure control model that had a hairline crack in the housing that was overplayed by a rubber seal.  Great diagnosis by the dealer in Lanse au loop.

Team 22 leaves at 11:45 tonight for Goose Bay. 

We will spend tomorrow running some areas in Lab and connect with Trailblazer tomorrow night as he made it to Tete Balene tonight on his rental sled.  Way to go JG!

Happy Trails RR52C98B65-B38D-4539-BB4B-06CE329C082E.thumb.jpeg.31432d0ef035b1ceaf2e4789a980345d.jpeg0F176E3A-1FE3-4AC0-9065-FC65D245E9B0.thumb.jpeg.9388ee3d53c4b8cd47e7eac84d1a76bf.jpeg

Returned from Sept Isles at 4:50pm, decided not to stay another night in Kegashka rather push on up the White Road closer to Lab but this meant doing it solo in the dark. This is what adventures are all about! Called Chevery but no rooms so 40 k further Tete a La Baliene has and so it is but not before getting to the gas in Chevery before they close by 8 pm. Left Kegashka at 5:30 got the gas at 7:20, great! Doing good time but not for long, missed the left turn at the fork for Tete and ended up in Harrington Harbour, boy does the trail look so different at night. Back track 10 k to the fork and I’m in Tete at 9:15. Missed supper grrr and everything is closed. 

Tomorrows plan get on the trail early and hope to arrive in Lab for noon. I’m very disappointed I wasn’t able to be there to see Team Maine roll in and  missing the opportunity to shake Robs hand and give him my support. That’s snowmobiling.

11 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

52C98B65-B38D-4539-BB4B-06CE329C082E.thumb.jpeg.31432d0ef035b1ceaf2e4789a980345d.jpeg0F176E3A-1FE3-4AC0-9065-FC65D245E9B0.thumb.jpeg.9388ee3d53c4b8cd47e7eac84d1a76bf.jpeg

Don't know if I could do 2500 miles in an mx style helmet.   Yea, Klim arctic balaclava works to a point.  Feel the cold when riding below 0 degrees F.  

Regarding the module, a little dab of epoxy should do the trick....until the next bump.  Hopefully it was an inexpensive fix

The twins are together now,  .....we went out  a little bit in the north country this morning and played , the light was very flat so it didn't allow us to cover we wanted to,  also gave us real feel for what the racers are running in and than we had a starter issue with RR Jr free ride so decided to run to the dealer to check it out, he had no parts for the 850 so we bought a pull cord handle to make it easier for the line start and than back to meet Trailblazer, on our way back there he was!  We are reunited!  Back down the white road tomorrow! 

Frank aka F3, and Coutter made the run to Marys Harbor for lunch, we meet us back here tonight.

Happy Trails 

20180306_132401.thumb.jpg.d30a6ec2c262cadea536589d4da9356a.jpg20180306_103815.thumb.jpg.d9d3b147af8eb67e21dd32a3eacfad3a.jpg

Edited by RoadRunner

Out operating in three separate groups on Tuesday,

the half day country adventure that two time White road veteran Yogi Bear took us on yesterday, we were back to Base camp in Lanse au Clair early afternoon. In addition to running the DC high tension power line that will take the hydro power from the new Dam being built at Muskrat Falls near Goose Bay over to the Island of Newfoundland than into Maritime Canada and on into the US.

Yogi did take us thru some scrub land bush riding, a few snow bowls and other “unforeseen”  tactical maneuvers on our way back. All fun but the flat light blind riding diminished the joy a bit,  as Backcountry 603 noticed when we stopped for lunch at Fast Freddies Burger’s in Lanse au loop, a great dstop for lunch!  He had managed to drag down half of the entire forest in this region, all wrapped up in his front end parts. As you can see from all the scenery pics, half the forest is not much😉 !

The snow blindness was only verified by the stories we got from Trailblazers riding partner F3 and Coutter, of Coutters Quality Used Sled Sales on their adventure-to Marys Harbor. They managed to spend an hour in Mary’s Harbor looking for each other as they got separated going into Town.  We suspect these two veterans have more to this story than they are telling , but photo evidence does reveal their ability to separate not only from each other but their sleds as well😉

We went to sleep thinking about Trailblazers stories of running the White Road Solo over slobby ,sketchy sea ice in the middle of the night, to his stop for fresh baked muffins , rolls and coffee, bright and early yesterday morning in St Augustine 

All is well that ends well.

Wednesday AM we head back , at “full strength “ again, all eight are back together!

Our destination, Harrington Harbor

Happy Trails RRF4F049A1-6340-41C2-A70B-F7C5CB609B76.thumb.jpeg.56c3927093c4348aacb292abd79fb04e.jpeg7DB2B15E-C5F2-470A-8CE3-F2A872F2310F.thumb.jpeg.bc706ffefb9365855b8c9016b1f00064.jpeg2C350B84-174A-41A1-B30E-0A77962A9D11.thumb.jpeg.ffb0caac5c4840f774c79e0f33931225.jpeg286498DF-6C90-4982-BA7A-9C2438C3F27A.thumb.jpeg.5f42cb4f892cf4444a0cbd0213991006.jpegA4A03AAA-CCEC-4860-B4C6-AD38CA300472.thumb.jpeg.592b82411a34e3efbf73ae88f42df368.jpeg

Edited by RoadRunner