Big loop Joliette/Grand-Mère/Mattawin/St-Zenon photo ride-report 24february2018

towing

We had to deal with another warm up this last week, all had freeze back on wednesday night lefting some time for the dozers to work the hard surface and loosen-up some snow. At home we had another hotflash friday end of the day with a bit of gresil and a 2 mm ice crust. fortunately  this turn to be snow a bit more north. I was still confident to get highway type trails condition  so we decided to go for the big loop Joliette/Grand-Mère/Mattawin/St-Zenon/Joliette, a ride of 320 miles mostly on open path trail. Glad we did, we had good to very good conditions conditions all over the ride.

Let's check it in detail but first, here is the trail path of the day:

carte_zpsa5yqx4zk.jpg

-5C when we left under a cloudy clearing sky directly from home in St-Thomas de Joliette in the south of Lanaudiere. The major thaw during the week had left an hard trail base and the small episode of ice Friday night had left a thin crust of 2mm ice on the groomed trails  so scratchers were necessary to start the day early. Here in the field near my home.

DSC03973_zpsn7dk7isr.jpg

As expected, the trails were very hard and fast, not a single bump. With the snowtrackers my venture was like on rails, very precise direction and easy driving: ideal conditions to crank up many miles without getting tired. Here in the maple grove in St-Cuthbert: the  water pipe was installed high enought  to allow us to continue to pass without problem.

DSC03988_zps7f7wknih.jpg

We then took trail #3 to  go toward Grand-Mere

DSC03989_zpsttoi5qrt.jpg

I take the opportunity to write a bit about scratchers: In my case it's been part of my essential accessories for more than 10 years after we got  traped after a rainy day on a trip ... after that I understood !!! I use the cheap model at $ 60 which clings under the footrest. Some will say: yeah but you can not back up with them ... in my life of sledder it never happened that my engine overheat or my slides stick when going in reverse so I think I can raise them during that time!!! Jokes aside, I happened to bent one at the beginning when I had forgotten them and I just had to bent it back in shape (otherwise in case of badluck the spares are sold for $ 20 each).

By putting them as far forward as possible they are very effective and installed as I put them I do not even have to stop to put them on: just to lean and pass the hand under the edge of the footrest to pick them down. Often just one side is enough and in the most extreme condition both will do the job. In my opinion it should come standard with a snowmobile, it is not very often that it is absolutely necessary but when you need them your $60 investment is right there to save your ass and when they are there easily usable  we used them regularly, most often in the morning when the trails are very hard and we are in the first to pass. It is easier on the engine cooling system and help on hifax life. Yesterday we took them off in the middle of the morning.

DSC03992_zpsbivmpszu.jpg

It's the worst we've seen and it was just a few spots in St-Barthélemy area (very south of Lanaudiere along St-Laurence river)

DSC03998_zpssaulxz2k.jpg

Otherwise it looked like that on most of the ride

DSC04000_zpstjedun4l.jpg

DSC04004_zpszqec5tyg.jpg

Given the very good conditions we chose to extend the ride a bit going through  #63 trail to see the Magnan falls

DSC04019_zpsqwawekwd.jpg

DSC04023_zpskup8bloj.jpg

A beautiful site, ideal place for a trail side break

DSC04029_zpsgimlj1q0.jpg

The sky had clear up leaving us a beautiful sunshine for the rest of the day

DSC04035_zpsdzx0jczc.jpg

The pics bring up the beauty of the scenery so much better with  some sun

DSC04056_zpsbyzraluv.jpg

We stopped to refuel in St-Étienne before crossing the St-Maurice. Policemen were passing there but must believe that we did not look too fishy they just continue their way

DSC04062_zps5kjybkpm.jpg

We then continued trail # 3 eastbound

DSC04063_zpshmuwx3yv.jpg

And crossed the St-Maurice river at La Gabelle. A little bumpy but very solid no movement with the warmth.

DSC04067_zpssxd2t4ua.jpg

The trail had a small hi frequency ripple east of St-Maurice a little tiring but it still ride at a good pace.

DSC04077_zpsmhp8onsu.jpg

An FCMQ patrol accosted us but they were satisfied by my just seeing my sticker, no need to stop and dig in my pockets to do the paper thing on the trailside to my great satisfaction

DSC04081_zpsofzu2rtg.jpg

We then took the St-Maurice river trail in Grand-Mère.

DSC04086_zpscvdavntq.jpg

It was quite bumby, especially up to this point but still solid as a rock no slush

DSC04100_zpslp8k9akd.jpg

Then further north was less bumpy and it was done at maximum legal speed except for 2 small ice jam sections at the very end. When we observe in the side of the mountain the warmth have formed several large glaciers

DSC04119_zpsdxtw7bns.jpg

Once back on the shore just beginning the trail we faced to that... oupsss, that's when it came back to me that my friend Snowcruiser had told me a few weeks ago that they had plowed a section of the trail

there this year ........ Fortunately, it's like that for only a few hundred feet up to the top of the hill not far,

DSC04157_zps8xtgseld.jpg

And then it's looks like that's  ....oufff!!!

DSC04160_zpstmf6lvqo.jpg

next optimal trail conditions, good and fast

DSC04165_zpsujh3je7h.jpg

Nice trail and even nice scenery

DSC04178_zps0p3fpcix.jpg

We arrived for lunch at Marineau at 12:45 with 141 miles on the dreammeter. A first real break for us because we had almost not stopped in the morning feeling  we does not need

DSC04186_zpsahclyhus.jpg

After a good meal for us and a fuelup for the venture, we leave for St-Zenon via trail #360

DSC04188_zpsrkufs0bj.jpg

The #360 was nice and fast, a small ripple in some curves but very pleasant to do on this beautiful sunny day

DSC04196_zps1hyorcdb.jpg

DSC04215_zpsdisiq0sx.jpg

The ride going so well why not expand it a little more circuit through the M20 trail! A beautiful segment that once again was worth the detour.

DSC04216_zps6e5v8xsl.jpg

This trail is a bit different from the rest of the area. The mix of scenery and mountain/lake remember me the Laurentide park each time I ride it

DSC04230_zpsgoosjmka.jpg

DSC04232_zpskvykxv79.jpg

DSC04246_zpsing2ocls.jpg

DSC04274_zpsld2b9vo4.jpg

We did not had the chance to see a lynx or a beaver but at least a small partridge who obviously felt at home in the trail

DSC04286_zpsruiijjn6.jpg

This trail also includes a couple of interesting and safe trail stretchs. We must still take care because we do not want to have any incidents or problems especially in those remote spots that are very far from roads and services.

DSC04302_zps1fk1cpg3.jpg

Once arrived at the next junction we took a short break and then continue on the #345 south

DSC04327_zpsfnm18ief.jpg

The #345 was just perfect not a single bump. Never saw it so good on a Saturday  late afternoon. We then continue to the Mattawin River Bridge where we took a good break

DSC04345_zpskm7twtsn.jpg

DSC04367_zpskdyt0kdz.jpg

Me doing a 360 with the Gopro to immortalize the moment up there

DSC04364_zpsn409zozh.jpg

Then we continue on #345. Given the mild day, I was expecting more bumpy trail but no, the conditions were very beautiful ...

DSC04375_zpsbxplrnv7.jpg

On the other hand, there were icy washed curves  that we had not seen elsewhere must be more vigilant and have good runners to keep on your side. We then crossed the dozer  grooming this already beautiful trail

making the conditions almost perfect

DSC04377_zpsmgqot0tw.jpg

We did a last fuelup at the Cabanon and then continued  the #23 southbound

DSC04389_zpsfcqyhsad.jpg

Still beautiful conditions, it had just been regrommed there too. Sun was already down

DSC04395_zpshppsybyw.jpg

We stopped to eat  at Real Masse around 5:45 pm

DSC04399_zpsyhv2lkom.jpg

After our good meal break we started our last stretch to the house. The conditions were still good, no beated trail with this hard base and as a bonus we started to encounter just grommed trails in St-Gabriel de Brandon and Joliette. We left the house at 8:15 in the morning and came back home at 8:15 pm with just 320 miles on the dreammeter.

In summary very good conditions everywhere on the circuit we did  and the today  falling snow will give the little notch that  was missing with some  new material on the good hard base that was already there as the cream layer on the cake! There is no rain in the extended weather forecast and despite the temperatures being slightly above the average, the nights would be cold enought to groom so the picture is good to keep a full operational trail system for the next  weeks  in our area. Let's enjoy it!

Alain

On 25/02/2018 at 6:34 PM, neksledr said:

Another great report with lots of great pics Alain, thank you! Looks like the trails are holding up nicely. Great run!

Thanks neksledr!!! That base after a few warmup is pretty strong, just hope for some new stuff, march sun hit hard would need a couple march snow storm to keep the base growing

On 25/02/2018 at 7:39 PM, viper2 said:

Looks good Alain, hopefully the warm weather doesn't include rain or a lot of sun

We will see, there a little mix of rain/ snow forecast for tomorroy but less than 1mm so not bad, for the rest the 14 day forecast going colder than what it was 2 days ago... I think i should look more by the window than the forecast report!!! loll more accurate for sure

3 hours ago, extreme600 said:

Awesome report and great pics.  Thanks

You are welcome extreme600 , good comments always appreciated!

Wow great day on the trail!  Sure miss that route this year I have not been able to get away for more than a few days at a time this year.  Maybe march is doable.  Anyone know what date Masse shuts down? I know they close up near the mid to end of march and head south before spring fishing season starts up...

thanks Teet F8SP!   For Real Massé i did not see this year schedule but they usually closed mid march just after the school spring break that happend to be next week so i'm almost sure they will do the March 10-11 but not sure for the march 17-18. On those last date Cabanon will organise a big party with animation and the 4 manufacturers trials supposed to be availiable  so I don't know if Massé may extend one more weekend? asking them would be the best to be sure.

Alain

Edited by towing