sep-tile

quebec bob

I finally got out of the shop @ 3 am Sat. morning, went home and packed, on the road @ 730 am, off to Universal in Riviera Du Loop to meet Sno Horse and his 17 year old son , for 8 days of adventure. Minor details, we lost the alternator in the truck 40 miles south of the border in Vermont, half hour detour @ Napa, fixed it pit-stop fast in the parking lot, then got thru customs fast. Arrived RDL at 430 pm, put sleds in locked down area and went to dinner, we were spoiled by the restaurant there at dinner and breakfast. We were on the trail by 8 am, trails are hard and fast all the way to Matane, many places faster than I will admit to!!  We were very fortunate, police were checking sleds at a road crossing 30 miles from Matane, and were writing tickets as we approached, they were so busy with the dozen sleds they had, that they waved the 4 of us thru. We took the ferry over to Baie- Comeau and arrived just at dusk. It is colder here and a LOT more snow. As we were riding in the dark a blinding storm dropped a quick 2 inches in less than an hour. Trails here are as good as it gets, no other way to describe it. Sno horses' son is missing a week of school, and he really misses it!! Great rider for 17, very impressive. I have a former employee along with me on this trip, another young guy, 24, he is in heaven, never ridden Quebec before, and he is starting at the top!! We checked in to the Comfort and  took a taxi to dinner@ Greco's, nice place, middle of the road prices, when I saw Jared and Phil's steak, I new I had ordered the wrong entrée. Other than a couple of wrong turns, that we quickly righted, the days ride was great. We are not expecting much traffic going North to Sep-tile and if the trail is reasonably passable we will continue East of there, we would like to be back to the truck in RDL by dark on Saturday. Tomorrow I will try to post some pics. Ice, sorry you could not make this trip. I changed the skis on the 850 Back Country for this trip and went with Simmons gen 3, 8 " wide, what a good choice, flotation in deep snow is amazing, 0 darting, much more planted and all the tippy stuff from being high and narrow is gone, only a tad more steering resistance, you would have to be unreasonable to even mention it, it may have lowered the mpg by .5, I will know better after another day. We are all looking forward to the trial in the morning...to be continued!!

Tonight we are in Comfort Inn in Sep-tile, just back from dinner @ St.  Hubert, spent an hour and a half there smiling about a really fantastic day of adventure. we say and rode thru almost everything Quebec can possibly throw your way on the trail today. Started out of Baie-Comeau on 6 to 8 inches of fresh powder, then to a few tracks going North in front of us. We were on the trail just before 8 am, on the east side of the mountain we caught and passed those sleds at the new bridge. Now breaking trail and it is absolutely incredible conditions with no traffic and an amazing trail all for us!! We traveled in to Godabout for fuel, signs directed us there, but there is no gas in this village, but it just so happens that a very generous older gentleman has some at his house for the fine price of 12$ a gallon.Sno Horse and I are both carrying gas so we pass on this deal and go 25 more miles and the 4 of us fuel at Baie-Trinite. We do not stop for lunch today, having way too much fun for that, besides, we ate very well yesterday!! Despite the fresh snow we are making very good time and are looking for a way to fill the day before lodging in Sep-tile. No problem finding a little extra riding here and Sno Horse has a gps, what could possibly happen?? Jared promptly buries the long tack Yamaha in 7 ft. of powder, and the Federation trail patrol just happens to be on the trail to kindly assist the boys who passed them 3 miles earlier, OOPS, did not recognise them, after a little lecture about having my trail sticker too low for them to see , they let us go. Then having a little spare time on our hands we take what we thought was an M-trail into the back woods thinking it would go some where. It turns in to 1 sled wide, out in the mountains in 10 to 12 feet of snow pac, like riding in a tunnel and no possible way to turn around, but it is a nice ride so we keep going and cross a few lakes and 20 miles in Phil decides we are getting farther away from trans Quebec 3 and it probably goes somewhere, but not to gas or lodging. The last lake we crossed had some serious slush in spots so time to turn around at 345 pm. I leave last so I can keep a eye on the 2 young guys with us and Jared hammers thru a big drift right in front of me to make sure he can get through and I have my shield open and as he rises up blinds me face high, I let off the gas and sink in 10 ft. of powder, as he drives 2 miles down the lake, never looking in his mirrors. Snow Horse see him coming and leaves the end of the lake and his son waits for us. Jared is on the hammer at the end of the lake and tries to power thru a mountain of snow and buries it. A half hour goes by and I am alone 20 miles out in the real back country, with my back country buried and I am thinking about the possibility that these guys got onto the m-trail and are unable to turn around and will have to go get gas to come back to get me so I continue digging the sled out, what could go wrong they have a gps and know here we were. So the 2 young boys are now coming to find me and think maybe I fell thru the ice, but boys will be boys and these guys are still playing Johnny stand up and Jared buries the Yammie AGAIN!! At this point I am thinking I may be spending the night out here and can hear wolfs howling, great!! There is a cabin a half mile away but walking there to break in is nearly impossible in 12 ft. of powder! Soon I hear a sled and Phil's son Nick,  is coming , then Jared, YEP, they are loving it and ribbing the old guy and now it is after 4pm and staring to get dark. I think they waited for me to get it dug out!! Finally Phil pulls up to lay it on a little more, all in a days fun and we get out of this place at dark and find our way back to trail 3 and head west back to Sep-Tile. Not all over with as Phil tips over going over a snow bank at 3 mph, no one hurt and nothing damaged, but we finally get to lay it on him, tomorrow is Nicks turn. The waitress @ St Hubert is getting us a report on trail #3 conditions to Havre-St. Pierre as we head farther East tomorrow, she is 24 and rides a 2018 850 Summit, with pink powder coating, Nicks eyes lit up when he heard that, he wants one, I think I am talking about the sled!! In all my years dating back to the 80's today was the finest day of riding and camaraderie I have had, terrific trails, amazing terrain, and really great riding partners, only 5 more days of riding left on this trip, what could possibly happen, Phil has a gps.......to be continued!!

Great stuff!!  SledNick is with the right crowd at the right time in the right conditions.

BUT you got you teach those boys at a young age to whip out the camera before assisting with the pleasantries and extractions. Hopefully there are some pictures coming :<)

Keep up the great story telling

YEP, we will post some pics , but they do not need any help with ideas, hopefully they will not read these posts until they get home, really wonderful watching these young guys, they are good riders and are having as much fun as one can have, I remember when I was that age, back in the early 70's, when the sleds were nothing like todays , it is a really great feeling treating them to this adventure and watching them enjoy it, giving a little back, and they don't know I am probably having more fun than they are!!

no computer tonight, in the office at econolodge for a minute, 320 miles today, maybe 3 below temps, great trails, only Jared needed to be dug out today, had to use our gas cans today, but managed to limp to refuel, will post the daily report hopefully tomorrow evening and figure out how to get the pics up too. There is literally a ton of snow up here, hard to believe how a different section of the province is literally buried and how thin it is elsewhere....to be continued!!

Myself and Quicknick having fun with Bob and Jared. Those two needed gas and oil not our half. I figure it must be those skies, but no use getting him to admit it.

Quicknick is giving me more respect for the 1200 Enduro. I never would figure it could off Trail that well.

Trail 3 quest from sept ile  white asphalt with a 8" grummer curb on right to stick your ski against. Gas up in Baie  Trinite no gas in Godbout . Trail between there and Baie Comeu up and down hills and twisty sweet with 8 "powder on top . Gas right after Baie Comeau bridge trail a bit choppy for 30 miles then the rest 60 miles flat and fast to Foresville. Loop down les Escoumins back to ferry in Godbout   for 5:00 touch down Matane tomorrow. Great spring Jay day weather here. Come get it while you can.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:15 AM, NH-Moose said:

Great stuff!!  SledNick is with the right crowd at the right time in the right conditions.

BUT you got you teach those boys at a young age to whip out the camera before assisting with the pleasantries and extractions. Hopefully there are some pictures coming :<)

Keep up the great story telling

Last day today in cote nord. Woke in forestville with 4" fluff on my sled cover. Headed 3 west for 4 5 miles included a local trail and turned and burned back to forestville  for gas @ 90 miles. T rail 3 all flat with 4" fluff Perfect. From forestville trail 3 better with fresh top coat . Gas right before sled bridge in Ba i  Comeau now 180 miles. Head to ferry Godbout  up and down hills and twisty woods awesome ridding. Arrive ferry 3:50 pm left hotel 9:00 am 250 miles. Only us four on sleds for ferry. We were first on even with pins in our tracks. Here at Quality inn very nice in upstairs premium room.

Core Nord is one of my honey holes ! If your  not here now come get some before it is gone !

Next 3 days we are taking a bite out of Gaspie.

Here it is now Thursday morning after coming off at 7:30 pm the night before in matane. Quick nick is complaining about the up and down woods twisted at end of ride Wednesday.ok then I got a trail for you. We set out from Quality Inn Matane head 5 East and trail all nice and flat. A lot of rerouted trail leading to 595 Intersection. We got to the 595 and it is sweet. We ride hard to La Cache for Gas . When we get there the gas truck is filling the tank so we have to wait.We go in to have lunch. All very nice.106 miles and :Nick is all smiles. We then get the super gas and go back to pay and when back outside see Gemma while GT was fueling.We burn down 595 to New Richmond trail wide and plenty snow cover although A lot of waves made it fun at high speed. In at 3 at motel along with many others.Early happy hour.Planning to go Up towards Amqui today.

I thought maybe Bob would post our day but, here we go. Left hotel francis headed 5 quest trail deep wet snow all the way to point a la couix. No grommers 97 miles. Get gas trail much better thought about going 597 but did not look favorable stayed on 5 to Grommers relay in Amqui stop to regroup . Nicks sled dead . Call Andre Halle ski doo came picked up sled and we burn to dealer as pickup truck gets there.  They have always been the best over the years.Their new facility is awesome they also own Ski Doo in Matane that went bankrupt .Enduro

needs  New battery leave at 5 to Ambasador motel 180 miles. I was in lead Bob at tail the boys in the cradle racing and passing each other all day. What a rush they are having. Bob needed A pow wow at dinner with them. As the ICEMAN says ( we will manage ) Catch you later.